Oh no, I now can definitely detect compression in music files
Dec 3, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #17 of 25
Welcome aboard!
smile.gif

I found out some 7-8 years ago and it did not annoy me at all. Took quite a while to re-rip every album to FLAC, but definitely worth it.

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #19 of 25
My threshold for detection is at about 192kbps, although it's highly dependent on the song (some still sound great at 128, some are grainy at 320). Most of the time I'm not on very high end gear though, so I don't care. The rest of the time I'll take my money and go to a concert instead.

Dec 4, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no excuse.

how about "i don't have $85 extra to spend right now"

Dec 4, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about "i don't have $85 extra to spend right now"

pfft, when did that ever stop someone buying something if they wanted it badly enough.

druggies smash a window and nick stuff. the rest of us put it on our cards
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #23 of 25
It's not annoying it's just truth. When you see the truth you can either hide your head in the sand and make up excuses or adapt accordingly. I prefer the latter.

But yes you can still just enjoy the music on any system IMO, but, in this case, once you've seen the light it will involve a bit of ..uuhh mental "filtering"
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 4, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #24 of 25
Years ago I did listening tests and decided I was happy with 192kb/s mp3. A few hardware upgrades later and it turns out that was a bad idea.

Given that hard drive space is so cheap now, file converting to lower bitrates for portable use is quick, I don't know why people bother with anything but lossless.

Dec 4, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Years ago I did listening tests and decided I was happy with 192kb/s mp3. A few hardware upgrades later and it turns out that was a bad idea.

Given that hard drive space is so cheap now, file converting to lower bitrates for portable use is quick, I don't know why people bother with anything but lossless.

I have around 7000 224kb/s AAC's. To me it is not worth the effort to start over. I enjoy listening to them and that is all that matters to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back