oh no... broken HD555.. all Senn. owners please help asap...
Apr 23, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #16 of 31
rolleyes.gif
Well, I was at least trying to be polite about it.

icon10.gif

But seriously you mentioned just how easily they broke on you, smallish dog stepped on the cord as you pulled up, pure accident, etc... Doesn't sound too bad, and yet I've done a lot worse to my MDR-7506s and they have the battle scars to show for it and they sound the same as they did new. (k, after break in)

To me it just sounds like durability of the 555's is going to be a problem for you. The 580's might be a better solution, provided the budget allows.

Apr 23, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #17 of 31
Headphones should be made durable, and especially a $100 one. Sennheiser missed the durability score on this one. Its probably because they WANT u to buy new ones
biggrin.gif
Damn corporations!

I suggest you call Senn and ask them what to do. If they want to charge u a ridiculous repair price (which i doubt they will), sell them as-is. I know some ppl will want the drivers inside.

Apr 23, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude
Headphones should be made durable, and especially a $100 one. Sennheiser missed the durability score on this one. Its probably because they WANT u to buy new ones
biggrin.gif
Damn corporations!

I suggest you call Senn and ask them what to do. If they want to charge u a ridiculous repair price (which i doubt they will), sell them as-is. I know some ppl will want the drivers inside.

I've owned the HD555 and it was in no way flimsy, you have to try really hard to break it. I've also owned the HD515 for the past year now and it had survived two trips to Japan, and three trips to the Conus no problems, these cans have been thrown around, dropped, and even gone to the beach after paddling, (They're my beater cans, don't really care about the cosmetics on these anymore) but there's hardly a scratch on them. If you want to get into poor construction, what about the XD400? They're the big brother to you XD200s and while I had them they did nothing but squeek everytime you moved, it was so irritating to me that I eventually sold them.

Apr 24, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #19 of 31
well i think the HD555's are pretty durable... cept for one part. the part where it broke. cmon you can expect a 1inch wide and 1mm thick piece of plastic to hold a wire, earpiece, and to twist and bend at the same time.

Apr 24, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons
hey good idea! btw how are the 580's compared to the 555? i personally love everything about the 55's except for its cheap easy to break construction.

580s are considered better phones with better instrument separation and detail, they were once sennheiser's flagship model..

Apr 24, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
I've owned the HD555 and it was in no way flimsy, you have to try really hard to break it. I've also owned the HD515 for the past year now and it had survived two trips to Japan, and three trips to the Conus no problems, these cans have been thrown around, dropped, and even gone to the beach after paddling, (They're my beater cans, don't really care about the cosmetics on these anymore) but there's hardly a scratch on them. If you want to get into poor construction, what about the XD400? They're the big brother to you XD200s and while I had them they did nothing but squeek everytime you moved, it was so irritating to me that I eventually sold them.

I agree with you skyline889. My XD200 does indeed squeak all the time. But as Ive stated, I was talking about the "durability" score, NOT the "construction" score.

Apr 24, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

my dog (not a big dog. a tiny puppy actually) decides to walk by... well you guessed it. he trips over the wire which pulls my HD555 and SNAPS the left ear peice...
mad.gif
eek.gif

Post a picture of the culprit. I want to see this 'cord-challenged' dog!

Apr 24, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #24 of 31
you asked for it! ahaha. well im now typing an email to sennheiser in their repair help site. but seriously guys, for those who owns the HD555 you gotta admit the part where mine snapped isnt duralbe enough to flex and hold a full sized headphone on someones head (especially when extended), but other than that im satisfied with the HD555's.
new007.jpg

Apr 24, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
580s are flimsy too!!! mine broke by itself. all it took was almost 10 years of storage and theyre dead hehehe

fine, then what isn't a flimsy can?

Apr 24, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

btw how are the 580's compared to the 555? i personally love everything about the 55's except for its cheap easy to break construction.

The next logical step, if you really like the HD555 sound, is the HD595. The HD580 may be considered a step down from the HD595, depending on what your tastes are.

Apr 24, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geist
The next logical step, if you really like the HD555 sound, is the HD595. The HD580 may be considered a step down from the HD595, depending on what your tastes are.

well they are a step up for classical music which is what I like
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #29 of 31
Oh you have the cutest dog ever! I really envy you. I can't imagine you being pissed off at the dog when he looks at you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back