Oh... my... god... WOW!!!!!
Sep 21, 2007 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Headphoneus Supremus
I just received my MPX3 back from singlepower today and first I tested it by hooking up my sextetts. I was planning on then trying the HP1000s, but I have not been able to take the sextetts off my head!!! It is a night and day difference from the Cayin HA-1A!! Jon L wasn't kidding about how amp dependent these things are!!! The differences that struck me right away were the hugely enhanced soundstage (x, y, z and imaging) and the INSANELY FAST speed!!! They are so fast!! I now know what is meant by speed!! The other differences were a noticeable increase in bass weight and extension as well as more detailed (do you hear anything in the first 7 seconds of the song "Tool - The Grudge"?)!!!! Akg... wow...
k1000smile.gif
Thanks Mikhail and J!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 22
Yeah, a washing machine spinning?

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, a washing machine spinning?

I didn't notice it before, it always sounded like silence. For whatever reason, it became very apparent when I listened with the MPX3. Perhaps it is the tubes I am using? I have very good tubes in the MPX3, in the cayin there were current production cheap stock made in russia/china tubes.

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 22
Yeah I can hear the first 7 seconds also.

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 22
Scratch the part about detail then, I will attribute the change to the really crappy tubes in the cayin and the extremely good ones in the mpx3.

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 22
Congrats, glad you are enjoying your new tube amp.
cool.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I can hear the first 7 seconds also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Scratch the part about detail then, I will attribute the change to the really crappy tubes in the cayin and the extremely good ones in the mpx3.

I hope it is a result of a decent rig, rather than something you can hear out of some 515s & an iPod. That'd be cool.

Actually, tomorrow I might convert it to 192kb/s mp3 and put it on my phone.

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #9 of 22
it always makes me glad whenever my friends here at head-fi enjoy their newly-purchased gear or discover something new and enjoyable about their old gear.
smily_headphones1.gif
congratulations!

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 22
biggrin.gif
Always wonderful to see someone having such fun with their gear, and the sextetts too.

Guess you can just ditch that expensive and unnecessary Grado.
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 22
Do some of these headphone companies recommend which amp to use?

If the amps are making that much difference, would think, like Grado would say would recommend using such and such type amp for best results.

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #12 of 22
I think that John Grado listens to the RS-1 out of the RA-1.

Precide recommend the Ergo Amp1 for the Ergo 1 and 2 and the Amp2 for the Ergo AMT.

Stax matches the 007tII with the Omega 2 and the 727 with the 4070.

These though are companies that make both headphones and amps. AFAIK, Sennheiser and AKG dont have a list of recommended amps for their headphones.

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do some of these headphone companies recommend which amp to use?

Mostly no.

In the age of the sextett, they expected that headphone to get plugged into a studio mixing console, or a line stage designed to drive 600 ohm loads.

These days it's all over the map - except the examples Duggeh gave.

Fitz has an AKG branded amp, but it's a somewhat rare piece of gear iirc. And AKG didn't build it.

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #14 of 22
What is continuing to blow me away: The soundstage, speed, AND, as I turn down the volume, it still sounds VERY good. Most headphones require you to listen at 90 or more dB to really hear what they can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back