Oh man, I am in heaven... [advice on music similar to Fourtet/Manitoba]
Jul 6, 2006 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I was listening to a mixed CD that a friend left at one of my meets [thanks Rhydon!] and fell in love with Fourtet again. I pulled out the two CD's of his that I have [Pause & Rounds] and listened enraptured.

Today I got out my Manitoba CD's [Start Breaking My Heart & Up In Flames] and am loving it!

I also have a disc made by the drummer from The Notwist released under the name Chronomad that is a similar style.

Any suggestions for future listening? Is the Caribou stuff any good? Any other albums from Fourtet worth picking up?

Jul 17, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 12
Bump?

Jul 17, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks, I'll check those out. Not a big fan of Godspeed based on the one album I own of theirs [Yanqui U.X.O.], and I already have a fair amount of Boards of Canada... great stuff.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 12
You can't really go wrong with anything from Four Tet. Start with "Everything Ecstatic".

You might also like Matmos....maybe Cornelius, too.

Jul 17, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #6 of 12
The Caribou album is indeed great. You mentioned the Notwist, have you heard their LP, Neon Golden? Pure glitch-pop bliss.

I also highly recommend the LP, Aeropuerto by Todosantos. They are a Venzualen band that fall somewhere inbetween Broken Social Scene and the Notwist. You can read the review and listen to some of their tracks here:

http://www.cokemachineglow.com/revie..._aero2005.html

Another great listen would be the band Ratatat (LP: self-titled)...a little more straight forward sounding than Manitoba/Four Tet, but full of massive hooks.

Another great electronic/rock album is Grandaddy's new LP, Just Like The Fambly Cat.

Finally, in the vein of Manitoba, but way more laid back is Paul Duncan's LP, Be Careful What You Call Home.

Hope this helps....you have great taste in music.

Jul 17, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for more suggestions guys. I will definately add that stuff to 'the list'.

Ratatat and Todosantos sound interesting.
wink.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by falang
You mentioned the Notwist, have you heard their LP, Neon Golden? Pure glitch-pop bliss.

Oh of course, that album is great... I also own Different Cars and Trains and have Shrink on MP3. I saw them play with Lali Puna as well, lots of fun live.
cool.gif

Jul 18, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 12
Damn, I am finding so much music that I forgot about in my own CD binders.
biggrin.gif

I need to do this more often!

--- Listening to Wax Poetic - Nublu Sessions right now ---

Jul 18, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Quote:

Originally Posted by falang
You mentioned the Notwist, have you heard their LP, Neon Golden? Pure glitch-pop bliss.

Oh of course, that album is great... I also own Different Cars and Trains and have Shrink on MP3. I saw them play with Lali Puna as well, lots of fun live.
cool.gif

Hey, you probably have that Lali Puna Faking The Books then too. That's a nice one. But have you heard what is kind of like the English counterpart to the Notwist's Neon Golden, Hood's Cold House? A bit more melancholy and slightly more electro-glitchy, but tons of texture. One of the best of 2001.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:dikvikzabb59

Jul 18, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 12
oooooo, thanks Davey! I'll check that out.
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #12 of 12
The Todosantos album is amazing from top to bottom. If any such music was designed with hi-fi speakers or headphones in mind...this LP would be one of them. You have to hear it to appreciate it. Let the hype rage on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back