Oh, It burns, IT BURNS!!! (Shure Olives)
Jan 28, 2010 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

yipcanjo

100+ Head-Fier
Like most head-fiers, I'm always on the prowl to find the best ear tips for <insert your situation here>. Comfort, sound quality, isolation, etc.. With my Ety HF5s, I'm currently liking the Ety small tri-flange tips *and* the small Shure Olives. The Ety tips are more comfortable to me (and easier to insert) while the Shure Olives have even better isolation with slightly improved SQ, in my opinion. That being the case, I would prefer to use the Shure Olives on a regular basis...... if it weren't for the "burning" in my ears...

Does anyone else have this issue? I have small-ish ear canals, evidently, so I've chosen the small olives. They go in fine, fill-up the ear canal, and don't even feel extraordinarily tight when I pull them out, but my ears feel like they're burning slightly while I use them, and especially when I first pull them out. It's a very strange and uncomfortable sensation. Haven't felt this with any other ear tips -- even the Ety gliders or Comply foams.

Anyone else have this issue? Any recommended solutions aside from not using the Shure Olives anymore?
frown.gif

Thanks,

Yip

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 16
If you get that burning sensation like I used to experience when I used them, you should start using the triple flange or trim a pair to double flange. I prefer the triple's now because they are easier to take out and put less pressure on my ears because my left ear canal is also very narrow.

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben4345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could also be a mild allergic reaction. I'd see if you can get some custom made tips. I know I am looking into them now.

Actually, that's *exactly* what it feels like. Hadn't thought of that. Hmmm...
confused.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 16
I agree it may be an allergic reaction to the material used to make the olive tips, I wonder if using the clear tips would be better.

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by neco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I wonder if using the clear tips would be better.

Which clear tips are you referring to? I'm already using the Ety tri-flange (which are VERY comfortable to me), but the Shure Olives sound slightly better and isolate much more.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 16
Is the burning sensation immediate, or does it take a while to appear? I used to get a similar sensation with my shures, I think it was down to the nozzle pressing on the ear (through the foam). I pulled the foams just past the barb on the nozzle which alleviated it a bit (better sound imo too).

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never had a major comfort issue with the Shure olive foam tips, but they did feel slightly irritating the first few times I used them. I think it's a matter of your ears adjusting.

You may be right on that. For how easy it is to squeeze the foamie parts of these ear tips, they give a surprising amount of pressure in my ear. Seems like I'm getting somewhat used to it, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dangermouse2003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the burning sensation immediate, or does it take a while to appear? I used to get a similar sensation with my shures, I think it was down to the nozzle pressing on the ear (through the foam). I pulled the foams just past the barb on the nozzle which alleviated it a bit (better sound imo too).

It takes a few minutes before I feel it, but I notice it *most* when I first take them out! I don't think the nozzle is hitting my ear anywhere.

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #12 of 16
It could also be that they exert too much pressure on the thin skin covering the cartilage, staunching blood flow. The "burning" would be the blood flow returning after the earphones are removed, plus probably nerves "waking up" after being put under pressure for a long period of time. Strangely, I find that this happens with the medium foam tips on my TF10s, but it's because medium is too small and I have to insert them pretty deep to get a good seal. (Even then if I move the seal breaks). I need the larger size to properly make a seal without such deep insertion. I don't get the same sensation with the medium silicone tips though, they seem to work fine without such discomfort.

I'd try either a size down or a size up, as the problem may either be it's too tight, or it's too small to form a proper seal without deep insertion.

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaosfayt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha yeah i get what you mean OP, i get the exact same feeling when using silicon tips, olives , etc. Only complys work for me , comfy and good.

Complys, My choice. *wink

LOL

I have exactly the same experience. I am very glad there is such a thing as Comply-foams. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to use IEM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back