Oh god...not another format
Apr 16, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #2 of 6
Nothing really wrong with that format though. Satisfies the "plays on iPod" test. Since DVD decryptors are widely available, satisfies the ability to back up test, and savvy users can get at the high-resolution tracks. Nothing really objectionable, as long as they encode in PCM and not DTS for the stereo mixes. Basically DVD-A without requiring a special DVD-A player. Neat idea actually.

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 6
Chances are, the sound quality of most albums will still suck, and we'll be paying more for a format that'll require a different player. Unless I'm all wrong, and they wish to make less compressed music on DVDs....that of course is by all means welcome by me
biggrin.gif

It's nice to dream.

~Tom

Apr 17, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering nowadays so many CD albums come with a bonus DVD for free, I don't see how this new format -- which "would likely carry a higher price tag" -- draws customers.

That's salesman talk. They aren't free, you just often don't have a choice without the extra disc, so there's no lower priced one to compare it to. The Jethro Tull Christmas album, FI, comes came in two versions. The one with the bonus DVD wass not the same price as the CD-only version. [size=xx-small]Yes, of course I got the bonus DVD version and still haven't watched it.[/size]

Now, in general, I don't see how this is a new format, beyond sales. It does not appear to be a technically new format at all. That's good. Anything new, or done like Dual Disc or with new draconian measures like DVD-A, will be bad news. This one will actually be an interesting experiment.

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #6 of 6
Yawn. So it comes with pre-ripped tracks where someone else decides which format and quality settings I should like? No thank you. It doesn't play in regular CDPs? No thank you. And what's the interesting part? Extra footage? Like cerbie, I used to get those "EXCLUSIVE LIMITED EDITIONS" with extra DVD every once in a while. Ususally I never get around to watching them, or watching them is hardly worth it. So no thank you.

3x no thank you is not a compelling product in my book.

PS: Oh by the way, the DVD that came with THE CARDIGANS - SUPER EXTRA GRAVITY is superbly funny and interesting to watch. Low quality production though. About the only case where I did not regret getting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back