Oh god I've been DESTROYING my right ear drum for 5 years and only just realized it!
Jul 28, 2006 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

luc0

New Head-Fier
I AM SO STUPID!

For the last 4 years, I have had my Logitech Z560 subwoofer (it's loud) on the right side of my desk. Directly to the right of my chair. Obviously this has completely killed the hearing in my right ear, especially the bass. I only just noticed now, after the damage has been done. The doctor said the eardrum looks a lot thicker on the right ear.
frown.gif

I judge my hearing in my right ear overall around 65%, and the bass response almost gone. This is a huge distraction when I listen to my Super.Fi 5pros because my left ear seems pummeled by bass compared to my right. It's ruining the musical experience because I get focused on the imbalance
frown.gif

So this is a warning to people that you might not always notice hearing loss in progress. Always BE CAREFUL and keep in mind possible damage to your hearing. I wish someone had told me to be more careful, 4 years ago.

Anyone know if my hearing will ever come back? Are there steps I can take to encourage my hearing to regenerate. Obviously I've moved the subwoofer, but I haven't even used my speakers since I realized my mistake. The Super.Fi's are so great sounding, but they are heavy on bass and I can REALLY FEEL the imbalance between ears. Is there anything I can do to lessen this effect? I assume fading the music more to my right earphone will make my hearing loss even worse, so I'm gonna try and not do that. Even when I do, the complete lack of low-end and clarity in my right ear is annoying as hell.

Let this be a warning to you all. PROTECT YOUR HEARING. I will probably have to live with my stupid mistake for the rest of my life.
mad.gif

Jul 28, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 30
Eesh.....thats rough. I feel for ya man. Yea subwoofers are the worst for doing damage. If you turn your headphones up really loud it hurts your ears to listen to, thus you don't listen to them for more than a second on that volume. You turn a sub up near you and you won't be able to tell the damage its doing. Thats why when I see people who drive around in their cars with the bass constantly blasting all of the time I sort of chuckle (in a rather mean spirited for of way I guess).

Jul 28, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by luc0
I can REALLY FEEL the imbalance between ears. Is there anything I can do to lessen this effect?

Move the subwoofer to the left side for 4 years? (sorry could not resist, please dont hate me
frown.gif

I am very very sorry to read of your troubles. I am sure that it will affect you for the rest of your life. I would say now that your going to take better care of your ears, maybe a little will recoup but I would say it will never be perfect.
Have you gone to a doctor for this yet? If I can ask, how old are you?

Jul 28, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by InspectorGadget
Move the subwoofer to the left side for 4 years? (sorry could not resist, please dont hate me
frown.gif

I am very very sorry to read of your troubles. I am sure that it will affect you for the rest of your life. I would say now that your going to take better care of your ears, maybe a little will recoup but I would say it will never be perfect.
Have you gone to a doctor for this yet? If I can ask, how old are you?

I'm 20

I went to my family doctor, and he was gonna book a hearing test. I'll have to ask the audiologist (sp?) about steps to do everything possible to fix my hearing. I wonder if theres any supplements I can take. But I have to say it's been 2 months since I stopped using the woofer and theres been no noticeable improvement. I feel so retarted for being totally oblivious to the damage for so long. The reliazation was instant too, and shocking. Just one day I had the earbuds in and I noticed it, and in half a second I knew it was from the sub. It's hard not to dwell on it, but I'll learn to live with it I guess.

Or: Someone construct a pocket sized device that can adjust bass independantly for each channel. I'll pay you 50 dollars. gogogogogoooogogo

Jul 28, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 30
That's tough... I suggest trying to limit the bass and volume level of your music now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predator88
Eesh.....thats rough. I feel for ya man. Yea subwoofers are the worst for doing damage. If you turn your headphones up really loud it hurts your ears to listen to, thus you don't listen to them for more than a second on that volume. You turn a sub up near you and you won't be able to tell the damage its doing. Thats why when I see people who drive around in their cars with the bass constantly blasting all of the time I sort of chuckle (in a rather mean spirited for of way I guess).

I personally can't stand people that do that. Some guy pulled up next to our car, and his bass was so loud it hurt my ears to hear it... I was kinda worried when I got into my friends car (who happens to be emo..) and he has a tendency to listen to loud screamo in and around class. Surprisingly, I got in, and his music was at a normal or low listening level!

Jul 28, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 30
Sorry to hear about your pain, and good advice. I will add a different example, it is driving with the driver's window down while passing or being passed by large rigs. It may not seem like much but year in and year out adds up. So be careful.

Jul 29, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 30
Why not EQ the sound for the left ear to the same perceived sound levels as your right ear. That way, instead of messing up your right ear some more, your left can be aclimatized to the levels your right ear is hearing.

Try accupuncture, and I don't mean putting pins in your ear!!

Start protecting your left ear.

Jul 29, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by luc0
The Super.Fi's are so great sounding, but they are heavy on bass and I can REALLY FEEL the imbalance between ears.

While exploring medical options, try to see if EQ and volume adjustments for L/R can give you a better balance. Don't use a sub, and don't listen close to loud volumes until your hearing improves.

Jul 29, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek
But bass is omnidirectional
confused.gif

Yeah, exactly how close was your subwoofer? Man you must have really been crankin' it!

Hopefully your audiologist gives you some good news though.

Jul 29, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Predator88
Yea subwoofers are the worst for doing damage.

Not to go off-topic, but technically speaking this isn't accurate. It takes much higher dB levels of low frequency sound to damage your ears compared to the dB levels in which high frequency sound can cause damage.

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #15 of 30
sorry to be grim-- but your "normal" hearing will not return. once you "lose" hearing-- you cannot regain it-- you can only make an attempt at dealing with it-- like with amplification from a hearing aid-- but your true natural hearing is gone forever. i suggest trying to take the best care of your hearing environment in the future.. i'm pretty cautious myself-- and am getting better at doing the same for myself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back