Oh Bugger...
Jul 9, 2008 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

That dude

500+ Head-Fier
I've only had my macbook pro for 3 months and this happened...

DSC00138.jpg

DSC00139.jpg

How much is this going to cost? My wallet is empty as it is...

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 14
May I ask how it happened?

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #4 of 14
^
I dropped it while trying to get through a gantry to board a train. The laptop was in a protective cover but it fell on its side instead of flat down.

I just got a qoute of SGD$400 inclusive of parts and labour from a reseller. Should I got to apple instead?

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #5 of 14
Is it just the casing or is the hardware damaged? There are some cheaper repair shops in Sim Lim Square but with a Mac I guess you're stuck with the Apple folks.

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #6 of 14
Wow, that's from a drop? Looks like an upgrade job gone horribly wrong. There are a few tabs near the optical drive that can be tricky to remove. –easy to get carried away and bend the crap out of it. $400 sounds like a small price to pay. Lucky the screen didn't contort like the base did. That's closer to a grand.

Good luck with that.

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #8 of 14
My original MBP met a nasty end, but when it went in for estimates at the apple store a complete chassis replacement came in at £400. That is in England, and i know everything here is more expensive, but Apple prices might more consistent.

Jul 9, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it just the casing or is the hardware damaged? There are some cheaper repair shops in Sim Lim Square but with a Mac I guess you're stuck with the Apple folks.

The hardware's fine (Fortunately), but I can't remove my DVD from the optical drive... Should I bend the metal away from the slot myself?

Would the warranty be voided after repair? I still have a good 9 months of warranty left...

One of the worse day I've had ever in my life. Yes there's more than just this (If you're wondering).

Jul 9, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 14
I'd go to apple if I were you..
oh and buy a proper laptop case, was it one of those silly slip cover types?

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #11 of 14
^Nah, It was a Zero Shock padded case. About SGD$60 a pop. Shame it couldn't protect the "sides" of the laptop.

Jul 9, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #12 of 14
Hmm , any kind of equipment protection warranty with those bags?

I'd recommend a proper over the shoulder padded case in future. I just looked at a Zero shock case.. not a lot of protection on those is there.
frown.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #14 of 14
Forget a shoulder bag, I prefer backpack ones much more, simply because 1) they tend to have more padding (my Heys backpack has a dedicated laptop compartment, and 2.5 inches of padding on the bottom, an inch on the back, and half an inch of padding on the sides), 2) When you wear it on your back, you don't feel the weight nearly as much as when you wear it over one shoulder (due its higher center of gravity), 3) Doesn't mess with your posture as much (I see many ppl slumping to one side cause they're lugging their laptop around). And 4) It doesn't look like a laptop bag (looks like a typical backpack), so it's less conspicuous.

But don't get a Targus bag, cause everyone knows by now that it's primarily used to carry laptops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back