Oh boy, this is Bad!! This is really Bad!!! I am sick and really need help!!!
Jan 19, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by FourStarDaydream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

One Saturday afternoon, she is in the bedroom working, and I am in the living room, all ready to watch Inglorious Bastards on Blue Ray with my Surround Sound 5.1 setup. I got the popcorn ready, pressed play and sat back in anticipation. 5 minutes later my girlfriend asks me (tells me) to turn the volume down. I lowered it a few notches. She comes back and tells me (orders me) to lower it again. This cycle repeated itself 6 times. So, hence the headphone search.

This is hilarious! If you replace the word "girlfriend" with "wife" above, that's my story to the letter!
beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Haha, I forgot the best part of the story. She threw down a $100 for the headphones purchase. I said I didnt have the money for headphones, and she gave me the $100 as sort of "hush" money. She's the bread winner.

Anyways, I fully warned her about my headphone obsession. She mostly thinks Im a nerd, but whatever will keep me quiet is her priority.

That's very funny. I saw some very rare 6AS7G tubes on a Chinese audio website. Then I ask my wife to get those for me. "Are you nuts! Why do you want such expensive antique light bulbs? Those energy saving ones from WalMart are working better." she said.
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats and welcome to head-fi! You may want to add this shirt to your wardrobe:

problem-solved-tee-shirt.jpg

Where did you guys get that T-shirt? I want one too.

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #21 of 28
Brilliant, hilarious post! Welcome
biggrin.gif

I'm so very jealous that you live in NYC; I took a vacation there in October and totally fell in love.

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats and welcome to head-fi! You may want to add this shirt to your wardrobe:

problem-solved-tee-shirt.jpg

Where can I order that shirt!
biggrin.gif

edit : my bad, didnt see the links above! Thanks a lot, that shirt rocks!

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #23 of 28
There's a 12-step program you may be able to get yourself into. You have insurance?

I laughed. I cried. I checked my PayPal balance.

My wife was trained as a classical musician and has her degree in violin performance. Alas, she gave it up with a vengence having had no choice in the matter when handed a violin at 3, so she says. Music is entirely different for her and me. Her mind will naturally follow the lines of music and becomes very distracted from any task that may otherwise require concentration. I, on the other hand, would probably have music playing all waking hours if it were up to me. I live and breath music whenever possible (not always these hectic days lately)...I cannot imagine life without music (bet we all have that in common). Ironically, I don't have a musical bone in my body. Anyway, the bitch-whipped scenario you so whimsically describe is a bit too familiar to me. Been there - have the whip scars on my back to prove it. "Yes, dear.." does not come quite as easily as it once did. I've now and again found headphones to be my oasis in that storm. I've just recently got back into them recovering from some foot surgery and having to be at home 24/7 for 6-8 weeks.

As far as your addiction, one day at a time, brother. See you at the next meeting.

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #24 of 28
Thanks for the support fellow HeadFi 'ers. But I dont fault my girlfriend for not understanding this hobby, even though she is indirectly the genesis of my addiction.

It was fantastic trying to explain to her that I am getting AD700 open cans. I gave her a brief explanation of closed and open cans. "Why the heck would anyone want headphones that everyone else can hear? I want you to get headphones to keep the noise down, and these don't even do that?"

That was a fantastic one to explain, essentially telling her that my sound quality is more important than the "minor" sound leakage. "So your headphones will essentially do nothing to reduce sound and produce the same noise as when you just had your speakers?"

Yup. Essentially.

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

It was fantastic trying to explain to her that I am getting AD700 open cans. I gave her a brief explanation of closed and open cans. "Why the heck would anyone want headphones that everyone else can hear? I want you to get headphones to keep the noise down, and these don't even do that?"

That was a fantastic one to explain, essentially telling her that my sound quality is more important than the "minor" sound leakage. "So your headphones will essentially do nothing to reduce sound and produce the same noise as when you just had your speakers?"

Yup. Essentially.

Hey, a creative man might find a way to leverage a pair of UE18's out of this scenario!
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
devil_face.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #27 of 28
Take my advice and stay the hell away from the FS/FT forum as I am attempting to resist the urge to buy a pair of Grado RS1's which will then result in spending even more money on a frickin' tube amp in order to get them to sound their best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back