Oh boy, this is Bad!! This is really Bad!!! I am sick and really need help!!!
Jan 18, 2010 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

FourStarDaydream

New Head-Fier
Hello,

This is my first post here at the hallowed halls of Head-Fi. I am a total noob. My current headphone is made by JetBlue. Ok so here's how my story begins...

I live in New York City, in a one bedroom apartment with my girlfriend. We both have demanding careers. On the weekends she likes to do some work. On the weekends, I don't like to work. One Saturday afternoon, she is in the bedroom working, and I am in the living room, all ready to watch Inglorious Bastards on Blue Ray with my Surround Sound 5.1 setup. I got the popcorn ready, pressed play and sat back in anticipation. 5 minutes later my girlfriend asks me (tells me) to turn the volume down. I lowered it a few notches. She comes back and tells me (orders me) to lower it again. This cycle repeated itself 6 times. So, hence the headphone search.

And now for the last 2 weeks, I have lurked on this site. Stalked it like a very creepy man. I instantly respected the amount of knowledge from the posters here. But I completely disrespected all of you, laughed at you and disregarded all your warnings when you said "Say good bye to your wallet"
Well, I am an idiot.

My primary need for the headphones was 50% movie, 30% gaming, 20% music. After reading almost every single "best headphones for gaming" or "movies" post, I decided on the heavily scrutinized AD-700s. Currently, these are all out of stock every where. I called J&R music world in the city, and they said that they had no clue when they would get restocked, and said that Audio Technica told all their suppliers that they were struggling to meet demand and are now backlogged another 6-8 weeks. They were listed as $89.99 on line at J&R, with $10 for shipping.

Not wanting to wait, the only place I saw the AD-700s was on ebay (from a trusted seller) for $129.99 with free shipping. I figured get them now and pay the extra $30 for the assurance of knowing that I have a pair. Ok, so a little more than what most people paid but whatever. A bird in the hand...

Then it all snowballed from there. I just got a JVC SU-DH1, for the conversion to Dolby Headphone. Again, off of EBAY for $59.99 shipped.

Then I jumped in on an auction for an Indeed Class A Hybrid Amp, with the Russian 6922 tube (not the Peking Stock they were coming with for a while), for $62 plus $18 for shipping.

I mean I read about all of these supplies on the boards here before I pulled the trigger. I read the Bravo v. Indeed amp posts, AD700 v. (every single headphone ever created) posts, etc. I feel I got a descent deal for this rig, but....

What the heck is going on here? Im no Audiophile? But Im an addict!

And oh my god, I spent the last few days reading about tube rolling.....and started drooling. How cool is this? Different years, production lines, brands, designs? Collection of tubes for a collection of different sounds? Sheeeeze, youve gotta be kidding me.

Oh man this is a crazy hobby.....

There is no hope.

I am done.

Jan 18, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 28
Welcome. Sorry about your Wallet. (Like you, I am new, and still on the honeymoon where I love the new toys and don't notice the money as it flies away...)

At the end of the day, if your significant raises a concern with your fixation - well, you can always point back to that seemingly innocuous, but cataclysmic moment.

(And get a stern look for your trouble, but that's another story...)

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 28
TL;DR

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by FourStarDaydream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope. Still living with the lady friend. Trying to keep myself out of her way. Reduces the need for her yelling at me. And since the AD-700's are open cans, I dont need the yelling interfering with the SQ...

Just dont let her find out about your new addiction :p

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #9 of 28
LMAO...great post...similar start for me....after several headphones settled on AKG K702...had everything just right...then I heard a turntable and now find myself with 5 different turntables on the way thanks to Audiogon, kijiji and ebay.
I am so divorced.
welcome to the club
are there support groups for people like us?
p.s. I received a bright red Bellari vp 130 tube phono preamp recently and it took my wife three (very busy) days to say "honey is that a new gadget? are you hiding things on me?)...stupid bright red! if it was dull and grey she never would have noticed!
sigh!

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #10 of 28
Haha, I forgot the best part of the story. She threw down a $100 for the headphones purchase. I said I didnt have the money for headphones, and she gave me the $100 as sort of "hush" money. She's the bread winner.

Anyways, I fully warned her about my headphone obsession. She mostly thinks Im a nerd, but whatever will keep me quiet is her priority.

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 28
Congrats and welcome to head-fi! You may want to add this shirt to your wardrobe:

problem-solved-tee-shirt.jpg

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #14 of 28
familiar story! 6 weeks ago i had apple stock earbuds and now all i'm thinking about is buying headphones and amps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back