Oh audiophile gods please enlighten me with your vast knowledge. Fiio e18 iphone 5 help.
Jun 25, 2014 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

XNumbers

New Head-Fier
Okay guys i'm set on getting the fiio E18 to use with my iphone 5 and as a dac/amp with my desktop. I've done my research and it would seem that connecting the iphone 5 to E18 via the Stereo cable that comes with it wouldn't be good since it would just be double amping.
IPhone to Stereo cable to E18 to HD650

So then i was thinking of also buying the fiio L9 lineout cable and an apple lightning to 30 pin adapter to bypass the iphones amp. Would that work?
IPhone to L9 to Apple lightning to 30 pin adapter to E18 to HD650

I also came across this site http://www.headfoneshop.com/eshop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=179 and it is indirectly saying that that e18 can work work with the iphone 5 like with an android (DAC and AMP) if i use a camera connection kit with the cable that came with E18 that connect to Computers. 
IPhone to Apple adapter to camera connection kit to Computer cable to E18 to HD650

If that works than could i use Apple lightning to usb adapter instead?
IPhone to Apple to lightning to usb adapter to Computer cable to E18 to HD650 

What do you guys think of this mess?

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 5
Hmm maybe i wasn't praying hard enough. Also would like to know if apple lightning to micro usb adapter would work.

IPhone to micro usb adapter to android cable to E18 to HD 650.

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
  So then i was thinking of also buying the fiio L9 lineout cable and an apple lightning to 30 pin adapter to bypass the iphones amp. Would that work?
IPhone to L9 to Apple lightning to 30 pin adapter to E18 to HD650

I don't think so. AFAIK Lightning no longer has the usual analog lineout pins, and Apple docks that have a 3.5mm lineout on them IIRC have a Wolfson DAC and that chip that enables data streaming (same one on the CCK and iDevice DACs) that also enables digital audio output.

Quote:

I also came across this site http://www.headfoneshop.com/eshop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=179 and it is indirectly saying that that e18 can work work with the iphone 5 like with an android (DAC and AMP) if i use a camera connection kit with the cable that came with E18 that connect to Computers. 
IPhone to Apple adapter to camera connection kit to Computer cable to E18 to HD650

If that works than could i use Apple lightning to usb adapter instead?
IPhone to Apple to lightning to usb adapter to Computer cable to E18 to HD650 

I think it does work, but keep in mind that such a set-up will be bulky if not ungainly as well because of the adapters. Not a problem if you'll use an IEM and only the iPhone when you're out then use the E18 and the HD650 only at home.

Quote:
Also would like to know if apple lightning to micro usb adapter would work.

IPhone to micro usb adapter to android cable to E18 to HD 650.

That adapter needs to have that chip that enables data streaming on iOS/iTunes devices, which you can find in iDevice DACs (that they have to pay Apple a licensing fee for), as well as the CCK that enables USB digital audio. That's also why you won't find a licensed iDevice DAC that uses a connector other than USB-A - they already paid to use that chip, so you should be able to use your standard data cable. Aftermarket cables are just shorter runs using the same connectors for use with portables, so you don't have 3ft of Apple cable between the iDevice and the iDevice DAC strapped onto it.

Quote:

What do you guys think of this mess?

Personally, it's a mess, thanks to all the adapters involved. Even I won't use any DAC not specified for Android on the go, since that would entail an OTG cable adapter (an OTG connector to standard USB-B or mini-B are available but I'm not forking over $70 for a digital cable that might not be twisted and shielded as per USB standards, as some early models of "audiophile" USB cables just introduced noise into the system), but then again, since I hate using iTunes' file management and prefer drag-n-drop for my properly-tagged FLAC files anyway, I'm also more likely to get an Ibasso DAP so I can cycle batteries between that and my S3.

If you're not in any way using them as a portable, just confirm in the iPad DACs thread that the E18 works with the iPhone5 (it's been part of the discussion since iOS7 gave us back what iOS6.3 took away), then the wires will be less of a hassle at home. As someone used to traditional audio set-ups with cables hidden out of the way though I'd advise you to get the Apple dock for that iPhone as well, hook up the CCK+Lightning adapter to the dock, then from there run the proper USB cable (just manage the length) going into the E18, which has its USB input on one end and the headphone out+volume knob on the opposite end, so it all kind comes out like this with the cables behind the phone and the DAC-HPamp.

http://cdn.head-fi.org/8/84/500x1000px-LL-847d6d1e_218054_4511772230907_700233514_n.jpeg 

Jun 26, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the input i learned a lot from your post. I don't mind the extra cables and do plan on using them on the go. Also when you said you think it would work in your second paragraph were you referring to the camera control kit set up or the lighting to usb adapter set up. Also agree that iTunes sucks.

Jun 26, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #5 of 5
Also when you said you think it would work in your second paragraph were you referring to the camera control kit set up or the lighting to usb adapter set up.

I kind of meant both, just not the exact same thing (sorry, read the second part of what I quoted wrong), because last I checked what people were doing was hook up a Lightning to 30-pin adapter, then hook up the CCK to that, unless of course there's already a Lightning CCK. I haven't been checking on Apple's accessories these days as I've been looking to offload my iPad2, the only problem is that some magazines I buy off Apple's Newsstand aren't available on Google, or at least not for my country.

I don't mind the extra cables and do plan on using them on the go...Also agree that iTunes sucks.

If you're using them on the go and you think iTunes sucks, then why not get around the messy cable and adapters and just get a dedicated music player like the Fiio X3 or the Ibasso DX50? There's also an iPod Mini-sized Fiio X1 coming out this year, and it being their third DAP, chances are this one will be more polished. You can get good deals on 64gb cards from Fry's and MicroCenter from time to time, so instead of relying on Spotify you just load up 320kbps VBR on any of these players and you can still fit thousands of tracks in them.

Also the Fiio X3 can function as a USB DAC for a computer, as it's based on their portable DAC-HPamps (E7, E17, etc), but built into a player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back