Ogg Vorbis
Apr 17, 2005 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Soundbuff

100+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to learn how to use Ogg Vorbis with EAC...

Previously I learned how to rip Lame/MP3's with EAC, but Ogg Vorbis looks like a better choice since I use flash players and want to maximize sound quality while minimizing file size. I don't care too much if Ogg drains batteries faster, since my U2 and the G3 have very long battery life. But flash memory is the limiting factor and smaller file sizes make sense.

I've followed Ogg Vorbis setup instructions for EAC on a number of sites that have been recommended in other Ogg threads.

http://www.ogghelp.com/ogg/articles.cfm?AID=2

http://www.ogghelp.com/ogg/board/viewtopic.php?t=16

This information on these sites may possibly be quite dated or obsolete and is not very cohesive or comprehensive. Basically, all I did to convert EAC to Ogg Vorbis from Lame/MP3 was:

1. Setup EAC following the various steps recommended in Lame/MP3 tutorials. I am using the latest version of EAC.

2. Download the Garf GT3 encoder into the EAC program folder.

3. Under Compression Options and Paramater Passing Scheme, I selected "Ogg Vorbis Encoder" and browsed to the location of the GT3 encoder.

4. I typed in "-q 6" under Additional Command Line Options.

That's it. I tried it and it seemed to work. The file size of my test rip was about 10% smaller than the Lame MP3 version. I haven't begun to explore tagging and other options because I am just trying to get the basics for now.

Did I do it right? Is that all there is to it?
wink.gif

Also, is the GT3 encoder the current favorite or is another Ogg encoder recommended for use with EAC? Should I change any other settings to use Ogg with EAC?

Apr 17, 2005 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 8
Apr 18, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 8
yeah use a different encoder...

and so you have tags...
-q 6 -a "%a" -t "%t" -l "%g" -d "%y" -N "%n" -G "%m" %s

Apr 18, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.karmalicious
I have - q8, and I get tags
confused.gif

Eh, I just use OggEnc.

probably because you also have all that stuff after -q 6 THAT is what does the tags... -q numberhere controls the bitrate...

Apr 18, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 8
i use a program called dBpowerAMP for all of my encoding/decoding.
check it out at http://www.dbpoweramp.com/
there's actually a suite of programs that all work together. he has a codec central set up and you'll have to download the codecs for OGG and FLAC separately, as they aren't with the program.

Apr 19, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 8
sounds like you're ok
I'd probably use the userdefined encoder setting so that I knew what exactly was being passed to the encoder cause I'm not sure what the predefined ones pass as far and quality settings. To do it you just point eac at oggenc and do the command line for all of the stuff you want in the additional command line bar. But I don't really know if it matters and it sounds like works for you.
Necropimp's command line looks like it'd work too if you wanted to tag everything.
And definately check out the hydrogen audio recomended link because as far as I can tell it is THE place for stuff of this nature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back