Ogg Vorbis Sounds Great!!!
Apr 22, 2015 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jfaaz

Head-Fier
I converted 30,000 of my FLAC files to Ogg Vorbis.  Ogg sounds wonderful.It is a lossy format, but take a listen.  I prefer the sound of Ogg level 6 to MP3 320 and , Ogg seems to be smaller than MP3.  Now I can have 11,000 tunes on my Fiio X3 with a 64gb card!  Any more love out there?

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 6
Absolutely!  I convert my FLAC files to 499kbps OGG to use on my Sansa Fuze portable and they sound excellent, much better than mp3 at 320kbps.  It's such a shame it's not a very widely supported format.

Also, unlike mp3, OGG supports gapless playback.

Rich

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 6
I use the iTunes AAC encoder at 256kbps, but I have used Ogg Vorbis in the past and would agree that it sounds awesome.  I felt both encoders to be better than LAME MP3 at the same bitrate.

May 2, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #5 of 6
The Spotify music subscription service uses Ogg Vorbis.  They offer 3 different audio quality levels: -q2 (96 kbps), -q5 (160 kbps), and with a premium subscription, -q9 (320 kbps).

https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/faq/#!/article/What-bitrate-does-Spotify-use-for-streaming

Depending on the region you live in and what wireless service you have, Spotify can be a wonderful tool for music exploration and can even serve as your main library.

May 2, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #6 of 6
  The Spotify music subscription service uses Ogg Vorbis.  They offer 3 different audio quality levels: -q2 (96 kbps), -q5 (160 kbps), and with a premium subscription, -q9 (320 kbps).

https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/faq/#!/article/What-bitrate-does-Spotify-use-for-streaming

Depending on the region you live in and what wireless service you have, Spotify can be a wonderful tool for music exploration and can even serve as your main library.

keep in mind any UMG music on spotify has the audible watermark that sounds like artifacts from early mp3 encoders(sounds like ass) 

I use and have used ogg for a VERY long time, if you want the fastest ogg encoder(with the same excellent audio quality) head over to hydrogen audio forums and look for the lancer accelerated encoder thread, they even have 64bit sse3 version thats insainly fast.

now, if you use android or rockbox on your pmp/dap, try Opus, im planning to switch fully to opus in the next couple years at least for the files I use on my android devices and rockbox players. 

really you shouldnt need to go past q9 in ogg, most of my music is at q8 with the few trouble tracks at q9, even my buddy who, and i mean this literally, has golden ears, says ogg at 256k sounds better then mp3 at 320, and yes hes been tested using the fubar abx plugin by 3 of us who thought he was full of crao that he could hear dif...

I normally recommend either mediacoder(free and updated constantly) or dbpoweramp as the go to choice for converting files fast and easy taking advantage of your systems potential(like more cores=more faster!!!) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back