OGG Vorbis pitch wrong!?!
Feb 12, 2005 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
i was testing an ogg vorbis file at 256kbps vbr against a lame ape file for quality. the track was a mozart piano concerto. i could distinctly hear on the ogg track the pitch was off. it sounded like when you slow down a record while it plays. the mp3 file was rock solid with no pitch problems at all. is this a known issue with ogg?!

Feb 12, 2005 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 12
What version of oggend did you use? What settings? What version of lame did you use?

Scott

Feb 12, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
What version of oggend did you use? What settings? What version of lame did you use?

Scott

oggenc.exe ver 1.01 setting -b 256. lame.exe ver 3.90.3 --alt-preset extreme.

Feb 12, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #4 of 12
Probably better off using -q options for OGG vorbis, also grab 1.1.0 from rarewares.org, it's the latest release. What are you using for playback?

Scott

Feb 13, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 12
-q 8 i believe is ~256kbps

Feb 13, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 12
IIRC, the 1.0.x series encoders had some slight distortion/boost in the highs which is fixed in the latest 1.1.0 release (which also has improved sound quality). Also, to get the best sound quality from Ogg Vorbis you should use the quality-level-based VBR mode (the CBR/ABR mode was included mainly for streaming audio and so that people wouldn't complain about lack of CBR/ABR support). Q6 (192 kbps on average) and above is generally considered to be completely transparant, however you should let your ears decide for themselves with ABX testing.

Feb 13, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Q6 (192 kbps on average) and above is generally considered to be completely transparant, however you should let your ears decide for themselves with ABX testing.

I played around a bit, with 1.1.0, down as far as Q4 sounded pretty good by my ears, never hit any major troublesome tracks.

Feb 13, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
IIRC, the 1.0.x series encoders had some slight distortion/boost in the highs which is fixed in the latest 1.1.0 release (which also has improved sound quality). Also, to get the best sound quality from Ogg Vorbis you should use the quality-level-based VBR mode (the CBR/ABR mode was included mainly for streaming audio and so that people wouldn't complain about lack of CBR/ABR support). Q6 (192 kbps on average) and above is generally considered to be completely transparant, however you should let your ears decide for themselves with ABX testing.

I used Q6.66 for my iRiver, and I'm very happy with the sound quality using my E5's, I've certainly noticed no strange pitch changes or anything of the sort.

Feb 13, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I used Q6.66 for my iRiver, and I'm very happy with the sound quality using my E5's, I've certainly noticed no strange pitch changes or anything of the sort.

Q6.66 - Bitrate of the Beast?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
Q6.66 - Bitrate of the Beast?
smily_headphones1.gif

Tracks encoded at this have subliminal messages that your cans, amp, and source are insufficient and you must upgrade. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must apply for another line of credit!
k1000smile.gif

Feb 13, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mech_e
Tracks encoded at this have subliminal messages that your cans, amp, and source are insufficient and you must upgrade. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must apply for another line of credit!
k1000smile.gif

No that would be -q head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #12 of 12
i was using videolan for playback. i'll try the q setting and the recommended ogg version tonight. thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back