Ogg, Gapless, Rockbox, Flash, Etc.
Dec 22, 2007 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lordearl

500+ Head-Fier
Howdy Gang,

My Vibez has broken beyond repair - after 11 months of use, but I'm getting no response from Trekstor re repalcement.

Given that is was my first DAP & all I knew was that I loved the sound, I'm looking to buy a different DAP and have a few questions about certain specs of DAPs. If anyone is able to help, it would be greatly appreciated.

(1) I've seen a few players that have the facility to play ogg files (Samsung, Cowon, etc.) -- do these players also support ogg tag data (otherwise there is almost no point to having it)?

(2) Storage capacity aside, is it preferable to have a flash based DAP than HDD based? It seems the HDD players (ie. Vibez) are prone to breaking earlier.

(3) Even if a player supports ogg or flac, how is it that the playback is not gapless? Are there any DAPs other than the Rio and Trekstor players that support gapless?

(4) Has anyone that has used Rockbox to overcome all these difficulties encountered unforeseen problems? If not, I guess it's just a case of getting the DAP with the best SQ that can be Rockboxed & there you have a top DAP.

Cheers for the help!

Dec 22, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #2 of 6
1.) i know the x5 supports the tag data

2.)Flash usually boots up faster, and it is solid state, so imho, it is better

3.)idk

4.)I find rockbox to be incredibly stable, but ymmv

Dec 22, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 6
I'm still a big fan of the iRiver IHP 1X0 (H120-140) series and have 1 modded 80gb and 2 40gb units and have another 80gb drive ready whenever one goes bad. Rockbox works great for playing flac gaplessly and the internal DAC is top notch. Besides if you want pure digital it has optical out. I sold my Ipods and Rio Karmas.

Take a look at many of the top posters and guys that review amps and the like. iRiver users for the most part.

I don't think iRiver users say too much so the price of replacements don't go up.

If you want fashion, buy an Ipod. If you want top quality audio, find a iRiver.

IMO of course.

Dec 22, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 6
Only the Cowon X5 is Rockboxable to get the gapless you want.
With Cowon I listen to ogg and no problem, but I use it in a tree- filesystem and not id3 tag.

For me the only time I wished to listen to gapless is when listening to Stravinsky Birds of fire and etc, cause they are ballet's music, and between each track the small gap is annoying.
The rest of the time I find it weird not to have a gap/silence between tracks.
Depends on the type of music you go for...

Cowon's player are pretty dependable and play great.
On the D2 the On/Off switch became mechanically disabled and, being still under warranty, had no problem to get a #RMA with their tech support to repair the player.

Also Sansa e200 benefits from the Rockbox. It does not transform it into Hi-Fi player but improves it a lot.Sansa e200 are very bass driven. Bass setting can be put up to +29 db, enough to blow your ears off...

regards

Dec 22, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 6
Awesome -- cheers for the help.

A local store still has the X5 20GB and the new iaudio 7 16GB.

Based on your help I think I'll go for the X5 -- will chuck a review up when I've worked out how to get the rockbox going!!

Dec 24, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordearl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome -- cheers for the help.

A local store still has the X5 20GB and the new iaudio 7 16GB.

Based on your help I think I'll go for the X5 -- will chuck a review up when I've worked out how to get the rockbox going!!

I will be eagerly waiting.
biggrin.gif

I just purchased a used X5L-20GB, and I am currently trying to decide if I want to Rockbox it. I understand I can dual-boot it, so not much lost if I attempt to do it, and don't find the results what I expect.

I keep my eyes open for your progress reports!
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back