ogg and ipod
Jul 31, 2005 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

binkgle

500+ Head-Fier
is there any way to get ogg files to play in itunes and on my ipod? i have a 3g ipod 15gb, and no money to buy an x5. all tests show that ogg is far superior (i now use lame vbr --aps), and i would love to use it.

Jul 31, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 10
You probably already know about it, but look at AAC. Within the bitrates you are likely to use it's on par with Ogg Vorbis. Plus Apple has implemented the open standard into both iTunes and iPod. Vorbis is great, but if you're leaving the compatibility advantage of MP3 behind, and already have an iPod, AAC is a better choice. It even has a few advantages such as battery hit over Vorbis.

Take a read through this for one guys opinion against LAME.

Jul 31, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 10
yeah, there is no ogg vorbis support in the iPod, which was one of te reasons I bought a different player myself

though, there is this iPodLinux thing that people are working on and they are trying to add more support for other formats.

Aug 1, 2005 at 11:18 AM Post #5 of 10
Ipodlinux does have Ogg support, but if you have a 4g, wait for the official release, because its really buggy and there not donw with the audio part, but if you do want to get it now google ipodlinux , the first page that you see should be the official site. If you get ipodlinux, if you dont want to use the music feature, why not watch a MOVIE on your ipod! It has a movie player!

Aug 1, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Danger
No.

Not true, there are plugins that playback ogg's in itunes. You just can't transfer those songs over to your ipod, obviuosly.

Aug 1, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #7 of 10
True.

The question was "is there any way to get ogg files to play in itunes and on my ipod?" It wasn't "or".

Aug 1, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #8 of 10
At the bitrates you are liable to be using for your LAME MP3s, AAC will give you the exact same performance as OGG.

See ya
Steve

Nov 11, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back