Official v-moda bass freq appreciation thread...
Jun 8, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wonder how they compare to the freq. i will do some more hunting around so i can listen to them.

After I got the NE-7 I couldn't listen to the bass freq's, so I sold them. And my Philips SHE9500's actually sounded better to me because they had very similar bass, but better treble.

Jun 8, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #18 of 31
I would definitely describe the bass freq as first class fun! theyre the "heaviest" headphone I have ever listened too, and stomp the GRADO SR60 for bass impact. And despite whats been said about the mids... I adore midbass. I love drowning in it. there's a nice sharpness to it without a nasty bite that youd get with some phones... it is rounded in character. very fun. very nice amped. especially with the Moon Audio Black Dragon Interconnect.

Jun 8, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you getting a good seal with the NE-7? Bass lite is not something the NE-7 is IMO. Not that it isn't possible, but are you comparing at the same volume? If the Sony's have less mids/treble then you might be increasing the volume to get the same apparent volume, increasing the bass and bass impact?

Your analysis above could very well be the case. I'll find out this week when my replacement NE-7s arrive. I have been having quite a bit of trouble getting a good seal with the NE-7s. The stock medium tips are too small. I can get a good seal with the large tips but they are very uncomfortable (bordering painful) in my ears. I tried Comply T-400s which most people seem to like. However, they didn't do it for me either. This cheap Sony set I bought this weekend came with "hybrid" tips. I really like them. I can get a good seal with the large tips and they feel good in my ears. I'm putting them on the NE-7s when I get them in. I really think they are going to be the perfect tip for me.

I forgot to mention that I had tried Skullcandy Ink'd phones before the Sony's. What a load of rubbish those were. I bet the only reason Skullcandy is in business is due to the ignorance of the general public. I guess I'm talking about myself because I bought them in the first place. I returned them quickly though.

Jun 8, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpickr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your analysis above could very well be the case. I'll find out this week when my replacement NE-7s arrive. I have been having quite a bit of trouble getting a good seal with the NE-7s. The stock medium tips are too small. I can get a good seal with the large tips but they are very uncomfortable (bordering painful) in my ears. I tried Comply T-400s which most people seem to like. However, they didn't do it for me either. This cheap Sony set I bought this weekend came with "hybrid" tips. I really like them. I can get a good seal with the large tips and they feel good in my ears. I'm putting them on the NE-7s when I get them in. I really think they are going to be the perfect tip for me.

I wear my NE-7's with the large tips in the outer part of my ear canal and angled with the opening of the IEM facing up at about 45 degrees, not straight in. No pain, good seal, best sound for me.

Quote:

I forgot to mention that I had tried Skullcandy Ink'd phones before the Sony's. What a load of rubbish those were. I bet the only reason Skullcandy is in business is due to the ignorance of the general public. I guess I'm talking about myself because I bought them in the first place. I returned them quickly though.

Tell me about it, they are for people that want style points with their crowd. It is amazing to me that the general public just doesn't care enough and Skullcandy is still in business, probably with a very high profit margin.

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #21 of 31
average joe,

Thanks for your input. Regarding the V Moda Bass Freq, I have seen them at Radio Shack several times. I'm thinking that they regularly sell them for $39.99. One time I saw some for sale for $29.99 I believe. Amazon has them for about $22. They seem to get good reviews (from casual listeners probably). I have read about quality (durability) issues. I suppose that would apply to several other manufacturers in this price range as well.

Since I'm a bass head, I might grab a pair in the future if their on sale again.

My 2 cents.

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #22 of 31
They are definitely ABsoLutely suited for the extreme basshead. They sub-woof quite nicely... they can leave your head a ringin.

at 22 that is a nice deal. Radio shack to my knowledge carries the beautiful Rocker Red colour...

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #23 of 31
Im thinking of buying these because of the bass I guess. I have not really found the bass that I really like. I currently am using the JVC Marshmallows but they don't seem to be as bass heavy ass everybod says they are. I listen to rock and metal manly and am using a Zune.

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #24 of 31
These are everything that I expected to hear when I read reviews of how the Grado SR60 was supposed to sound ... and then some. Plus they really do sound like you are immersed in a CLUB. You can't go wrong cuz they have a pretty small price tag attached, and the BASS is BIG, and with another unique feature: a whopping 120 dB (decibels) of skull crushing volume unamped.

Be prepared for what's called "fun" bass. Prob'ly the most "fun bass" of any phone out there.

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLACvest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are everything that I expected to hear when I read reviews of how the Grado SR60 was supposed to sound ... and then some. Plus they really do sound like you are immersed in a CLUB. You can't go wrong cuz they have a pretty small price tag attached, and the BASS is BIG, and with another unique feature: a whopping 120 dB (decibels) of skull crushing volume unamped.

Be prepared for what's called "fun" bass. Prob'ly the most "fun bass" of any phone out there.

Cool they sell for $40 at radioshack, is that a good price for these.I can't order online.(me 14)

Jun 18, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check here, $20.28 shipped!

@slowpickr: Let me know what you think of them if you pick up a pair and how they compare with the NE-7.

I debated about several different IEMs including the V-Moda's and ended up pre-ordering a set of Klipsch S4s. For some reason, something about the S4s allure me. I don't have a clue when I'll actually get them. Even though I like a lot of bass, I also like clear mid range and trebles. Hopefully, the S4s will deliver.

The impression I got about the V-Moda's is that they don't deliver too much in the mids and trebles departments. The more I listen to the NE-7s, the more I love them. I can hear good detail in the music. Soundstage is also very good for an IEM. I'm using them with a Cowon D2+ and it's a great combination (for me anyway). I've read (and looked at several graphs) about the bass roll off issue with the D2 and other players. To me, the D2+ sounds much better (including bass) than my Ipod Nano, Sansa Clip, and older Zen Sleek Photo. I have a Fiio E5 which is supposed to fix the roll off, but don't feel the need to use it. I'm not a purist though so I use most of the bass enhancement features of the D2+ and the equalizer.

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpickr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I debated about several different IEMs including the V-Moda's and ended up pre-ordering a set of Klipsch S4s. For some reason, something about the S4s allure me. I don't have a clue when I'll actually get them. Even though I like a lot of bass, I also like clear mid range and trebles. Hopefully, the S4s will deliver.

The impression I got about the V-Moda's is that they don't deliver too much in the mids and trebles departments. The more I listen to the NE-7s, the more I love them. I can hear good detail in the music. Soundstage is also very good for an IEM. I'm using them with a Cowon D2+ and it's a great combination (for me anyway). I've read (and looked at several graphs) about the bass roll off issue with the D2 and other players. To me, the D2+ sounds much better (including bass) than my Ipod Nano, Sansa Clip, and older Zen Sleek Photo. I have a Fiio E5 which is supposed to fix the roll off, but don't feel the need to use it. I'm not a purist though so I use most of the bass enhancement features of the D2+ and the equalizer.

Yea, IMO the bass freq's don't have much compared to the NE-7, not even bass clarity. Hopefully you will write up the differences between the NE-7 and S4 as I am interested to see how the compare.

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #29 of 31
I used to like my Bass Freqs until they died (rubbish cable) - preferred them to my marshmallows and CX300s in all aspects. Apart from the aforementioned build quality.

A question though; do we know anything about these?
Jivo JI-1050B Black Sound Isolating Earphones | SALE Now On!

They look identical to the V-Modas, but are about half the price. Either way, these NE7s are sounding interesting...

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #30 of 31
They have the same exact housings, probably purchased from v-moda or their oem, but they have drastically inferior specs:

bass freq // jivo
------------------------------------------------------------

120 dB // 109 dB

8 Hz // 20 Hz

to // to

22 kHz // 20 kHz

Obviously, the bass freq outperforms the Jivo in EVERY envelope!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back