Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Jun 12, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #1,771 of 2,001
img0948ty.jpg

Widmer Brothers - Pitch Black IPA (6.5% ABV), 65 IBU
- Light aromatics of dark, roasty toasty malts .. hint of hops
- Very dark, almost black in appearance, creamy smooth head
- Mmmm, yum! A complex smoothness from the dark roasted malts, grains, and hops
- Nothing overpowering, just smooooth awesomeness
- Slight trailing of the smooth hops and malts in the aftertaste
- I love this, highly recommend to IPA and Dark Porter lovers .. 8.5/10

Jul 3, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #1,772 of 2,001
Sierra Nevada has a new one, or seasonal out, called Hoptimum.

Not really my flavor of an IPA, little abrasive, but the best part that makes all that okay is that it's 10.4%

Woo!

$11 for a four pack.

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #1,773 of 2,001
Not exactly the most exotic beer in the world, but I've been hooked on Sierra Nevada Kellerweis these last few weeks. Yum.

Picked up a Sofie by Goose Island the other day also. One of the better saisons I've had. I just love that style of beer. Wish my local liquor store stocked more varieties of that style.

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #1,776 of 2,001
Quote:
Exit 8 is great, as for the Hoptimum, that's a bit dated now. I think that came out in May?

I think we started seeing them in the smaller bottles in March this year on the west coast.  That is a bit old at this point, unless they were brewing additional batches.

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #1,778 of 2,001

Enjoying a bottle of Rogue No Ka 'Oi IPA. This IPA pour a hazy amber color with a two finger thick head doesn't dissapate quickly and has nice lacing. Has a floral scent along with pine and citrus. Medium mouthfeel with a not too bitter hoppy initial taste that fades nicely. Easy drinking and will buy again

Jul 30, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #1,781 of 2,001
I acquired a growler of Hill Farmstead's Society & Solitude #4 DIPA last week in a beer trade that I was able to open this past weekend.  What an incredible treat it was. 

This is my first Hill Farmstead beer, a small brewery in Vermont that do not distribute, and I was floored by it.  A blend of their Double Citra Hop DIPA and Double Galaxy Hop DIPA, popping open the swing top growler released a heady aroma of citrus peel, tropical fruit, white grape skins, and dank herbal and pine notes.  Flavors followed closely to the nose, sweeter citrus and tropical fruit flavors balanced by a heavy citrus rind and pith, pine, and herbal bitterness.  Lightened somewhat by a clean, lightly sweet malt backbone, the sweet and bitter hop flavors really shined, and lingered for a while on your tongue.

If I lived close to Hill Farmstead's brewery, I'd head back for growler fills of their IPA's any day.  Unfortunately, I'm in California =( 

Jul 30, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #1,782 of 2,001
I like IPA talk.  Cause I like IPAs.  Today I got a new one I've not seen around here before, from Cincinnati.

Big pine kick at first, heavy malt middle, bitter and hoppy as it fades.  Nothing special really, but I'm just not a big fat malt kind of guy.  Like a 6/10.  Nah, make that 6.5/10 cause it was only $9.

Jul 30, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #1,783 of 2,001
Good to see this thread is still going. I have some good beers that I will be trying soon. I also just visited Allagash and Shipyard in Portland, Maine. Portland is a great city and I highly encourage everyone to visit if they are in the area.

Top on my list to try is the Founds Curmudgeon's Better Half my girlfriend just bought me. Seems like this is as close to tasting a KBS or CBS as I am going to get, seeing as they are impossible to get around here.

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #1,784 of 2,001
Quote:
I like IPA talk.  Cause I like IPAs.  Today I got a new one I've not seen around here before, from Cincinnati.

Big pine kick at first, heavy malt middle, bitter and hoppy as it fades.  Nothing special really, but I'm just not a big fat malt kind of guy.  Like a 6/10.  Nah, make that 6.5/10 cause it was only $9.

I like its color, seems very tasty. You paid 9$ for just that bottle??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back