Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Mar 27, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #782 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultrainferno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what "American" beer should I try?

Too many to list! :)

But I would recommend products from Stone, Rogue, Sierra Nevada, and Magic Hat for starters. Delicious beers IMO.

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #783 of 2,001
It depends on what you've had. You can't go straight for something as crazy as the Arrogant person...you have to work your way up. If you haven't tried anything before, I would just recommend my usual...try Bell's "Two Hearted Ale" if they have it in your area. Otherwise, look for "Southern Tier IPA", which is available at grocery stores in my area. IPA's are a great place to start...I really locked onto them when I got started and still love them to this day.

And believe it or not, you can't rule out Sam Adams. On an average day, sometimes I'd rather have something easy to drink and Sam Adams' variety 12-packs always have something in them that I like.

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #784 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't go straight for something as crazy as the Arrogant person...

Sure you can!
very_evil_smiley.gif

If you can take an Arrogant person, you can drink almost anything...

Although, I'd be weary of Dogfish Head 120. IMO they lost sight of what a good beer is. Don't get me wrong, I love IPAs. Give me a long hammer or hop rod rye anytime. But this 120 is battery acid and you can only drink one and your down for the night.. lol

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #785 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziplock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure you can!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Although, I'd be weary of Dogfish Head 120. IMO they lost sight of what a good beer is. Don't get me wrong, I love IPAs. Give me a long hammer or hop rod rye anytime. But this 120 is battery acid and you can only drink one and your down for the night.. lol

Stuff like this is why I don't talk to 95% of the people I know about beer.

Hearing **** like "that sam adams cherry wheat is great beer" makes me want to punt babies.

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #786 of 2,001
Hey, don't bash Sam Adams...IMO, they usually do have at at least one decent beer in each seasonal 12-pack they release, and considering how cheap those things are, it's a bargain. I can personally attest to the fact that their Holiday Porter this year was great (although junk like that Cranberry Lambic made me want to jump out a window) considering it was mass-produced. Not only that, the "Longshot" beers they release that are the result of a home brew competition are always fantastic (mostly because they aren't SA's recipe, I suppose). But heck, the first thing I do to convert people over to better beer is to tell them to drink a variety pack by either Harpoon or Sam Adams and tell me what they like.

So yes, Sam Adams cherry wheat is a mediocre beer, however, people who think that it is a good beer are at least onto something...they've realized that there's more out there than mass-market Lite beers, even though they have no clue what truly good beer is. It's our responsibility, the people like us who know about good beer, to educate people like that. This stuff only spreads by word of mouth after all...nobody goes onto the internet looking for good beer. I think I've given away about a 6-pack worth of Two Hearted Ale bottles but the people I've given them to are now going to our local specialty store for beer rather than the supermarket.

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #787 of 2,001
IMG_2020.jpg

That's the wrong glass for that type of beer. You need a chalice:

ROCHEFORT_NEW-GLASS_buy_Belgian_beer.JPG

Wrong glass type will make the head come out wrong and change the flavor. That might be your problem.

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #788 of 2,001
Quote:

I just bought that Maudite, what a coincidence, Graphicism. I've heard a lot of good things about that company, plus I wanted to try La Fin Du Monde, so I picked up an additional bottle.

La Fin Du Monde is excellent, another full-flavored beer a novice would mistake it for wine! Enjoy, share your thougts!
normal_smile .gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #793 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziplock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure you can!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jumped onto the Arrogant person right when I was 21. I'd only been drinking guinness and cheap microbrews. loveee at first taste! havent tried the 120min, but the 90 min is definitely a favorite of mine. I drank 3 in a span of 20 min and I was buzzing a good amount. It's too tasty!

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #795 of 2,001
Quote:

Hey, don't bash Sam Adams...IMO, they usually do have at at least one decent beer in each seasonal 12-pack they release, and considering how cheap those things are, it's a bargain. I can personally attest to the fact that their Holiday Porter this year was great (although junk like that Cranberry Lambic made me want to jump out a window) considering it was mass-produced. Not only that, the "Longshot" beers they release that are the result of a home brew competition are always fantastic (mostly because they aren't SA's recipe, I suppose). But heck, the first thing I do to convert people over to better beer is to tell them to drink a variety pack by either Harpoon or Sam Adams and tell me what they like.

So yes, Sam Adams cherry wheat is a mediocre beer, however, people who think that it is a good beer are at least onto something...they've realized that there's more out there than mass-market Lite beers, even though they have no clue what truly good beer is. It's our responsibility, the people like us who know about good beer, to educate people like that. This stuff only spreads by word of mouth after all...nobody goes onto the internet looking for good beer. I think I've given away about a 6-pack worth of Two Hearted Ale bottles but the people I've given them to are now going to our local specialty store for beer rather than the supermarket.

If you're not really "into" beer I can see calling sam adams good beer. Now that has nothing to do with their longshot beers as a few of those have blew me away but other then that I just can't get behind anything they put out. I let people sample almost every glass/bottle/etc that I get to get a feel for what else I could turn them on to. I'll usually just ask their pallet as that'll help guide me in the right direction. The easiest way to do it is to just send them in to talk to my local beer guy and he has yet to strike out on a beer when it comes to reccos for friends.

I know of one other local guy that'll drink what I drink so it's tough. I won't touch heff's or many other things like that as they don't appeal to me what so ever. I'm a stout man through and through and will stray only for a VERY VERY highly talked about non stout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back