Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Jul 20, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #211 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by GendoIkari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious to hear your impressions on that beer. If it's the same beer I tried : "Great Divide Brewing Co. : Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout"... I wasn't that impressed, but maybe it was just over-hyped for me. Please post your thoughts.

I have read that the Oak Aged is not as good as its brother. I am drinking it now and like it very much. Very easy to drink, rich to the palate, and has a nice roasted flavor to it. I just love stouts. I would probably put this one under Stone's Imperial Russian Stout and above Northcoast's Old Rasputin.

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #212 of 2,001
spacecoyote, do you have access to any Russian River stuff or Three Floyds? I cannot find them anywhere in Boston.

Jul 21, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #213 of 2,001
No Three Floyds at the moment. Nor the Russian River I'm affraid.
However, in the last week I recieved 4 beers (!) from the Rare Beer Club and am currently tasting the Lost Abbey Avant Garde. It is a hybrid style (as is just about everything that LA brews) of a Biere de'Garde/Saison/Farmhouse Belgian ale with "West Coast Hopping", a new phrase in the craft beer industry that indicates the MO of west coast hop-head brewers tendency to kick the hops up hardcore. I mean, HARDCORE.

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #214 of 2,001
spacecoyote,I picked up the Ij at BlueMax in Burnsville,Mn.
Search for their address and website on ratebeer.com.
They have 1000 chilled imports at any one time.
I bet they would be more than happy to exchange info with you.

Jul 24, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #215 of 2,001
Bought a bottle of Samuel Smith Organic Lager a couple days ago and finally got around to drinking it tonight. It's a pretty good beer for a lighter brew, and thoroughly beats any pale lager I have ever tried. It isn't sickeningly sweet or over-carbonated like every macro pale lager I have had and I just found the flavour really enjoyable, even though I'm not much on lagers. This is the second Samuel Smith beer that I've been really impressed with and I'm definitely going to have to try some more from them.

Jul 24, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #216 of 2,001
pernstejn-porter.jpg

Pardubicky Porter 8%,from the home of Semtex plastic explosive.
A great porter without breaking the bank.

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #217 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the second Samuel Smith beer that I've been really impressed with and I'm definitely going to have to try some more from them.

Was the first beer Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout?

Jul 24, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #218 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sam'l Smiths Oatmeal Stout? Never heard of it, is it gooood?
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cool.gif

It is the beer-of-choice for "hippie" tailgating.

BTW, I brewed yesterday!
rs1smile.gif

A Belgian ale with Wyeast Ardennes strain #3522
6 lbs of Bavarian Pilsner LME
2 lbs of Bavarian Wheat DME
1 lb of Blond Soft Candi Sugar
Saaz, Perle, Northern Brewer, Willamette and Hallertaur whole leaf hops
Bitter orange peal and crushed coriander
Special B, Special Roast, Pale Chocolate, Caravienne and Carapils grains (specialty, crystal and roasted)

My target OG (Original Gravity) was ~ 1.069 but it turned out to be 1.096!
blink.gif

This will theoretically give the beer an alcohol by volume of 10-12%!
blink.gif

So much for a session beer. If all goes well it will be more like a Speciale, Reserve, Holiday, Winter, etc.

Jul 24, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #219 of 2,001
Quote:

Yep. That seems to be by far their most popular beer.

Jul 24, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #220 of 2,001
Quote:

I have read that the Oak Aged is not as good as its brother. I am drinking it now and like it very much. Very easy to drink, rich to the palate, and has a nice roasted flavor to it. I just love stouts. I would probably put this one under Stone's Imperial Russian Stout and above Northcoast's Old Rasputin.

Try the Surly Darkness if you can get your hands on some. It's super rare and won't be easy to come by. I believe the brewery, out of Minnesota, only brewed about ten barrels of the stuff. A buddy of mine sent me a bottle about two months back and it was hands down the best Imp Stout I have ever tasted. No contest.

I'm a huge fan of quality Porter's and Imp Stout's and thoroughly enjoy the Stone Imp Stout, Dogfish's World Wide Stout, and Old Rasputin, but they are slightly out of their league when it comes to the Three Floyd's Dark Lord or the Surly Darkness.

Oh that sweet Surly. I wish I lived closer to that brewery.

Jul 24, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #221 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the Surly Darkness if you can get your hands on some. It's super rare and won't be easy to come by. I believe the brewery, out of Minnesota, only brewed about ten barrels of the stuff. A buddy of mine sent me a bottle about two months back and it was hands down the best Imp Stout I have ever tasted. No contest.

I'm a huge fan of quality Porter's and Imp Stout's and thoroughly enjoy the Stone Imp Stout, Dogfish's World Wide Stout, and Old Rasputin, but they are slightly out of their league when it comes to the Three Floyd's Dark Lord or the Surly Darkness.

Oh that sweet Surly. I wish I lived closer to that brewery.

I will try to find it. A place near Boston has over 900 different brews so I may have to hit that place up.
Surly Darkness rates really well on BA and Ratebeer. And I am a fan of Imperial Russian Stouts.
icon10.gif

Jul 24, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #223 of 2,001
Quote:

900 in one place!? Sounds like heaven on earth. What's the name of the place? I'd like to look up their selection.

They do not have a list but from what I have heard it is nuts.

You ever come to Boston dude?

EDIT: http://juliosliquors.com/

Kind of like heaven just like a good stout is heaven in your mouth.

EDIT: plus they have a cigar shop which is my other vice.

Jul 24, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #224 of 2,001
Thanks for the link. That place looks stacked. They have a nice Tequila selection as well. That would be my other vice.

No I've never been to Boston before but would really like to make a trip out to see the NE. I've never been North of Washington DC. Boston and NYC are two of the biggest US cities I have yet to visit. I need to find a good excuse, aside from 900 beers, to make a trip out there. Not sure the lady friend would see the same value I do in brew heaven.

Jul 24, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #225 of 2,001
Quote:

Thanks for the link. That place looks stacked. They have a nice Tequila selection as well. That would be my other vice.

No I've never been to Boston before but would really like to make a trip out to see the NE. I've never been North of Washington DC. Boston and NYC are two of the biggest US cities I have yet to visit. I need to find a good excuse, aside from 900 beers, to make a trip out there. Not sure the lady friend would see the same value I do in brew heaven.

Well say you are on a history kick and Boston has a lot of that. Has she ever been to NYC?

Tequila? My chick digs that stuff. I have a bottle of El Tesoro de Don Felipe Anejo and she likes the Cabo Wabo Anejo. I tend to stay away from the hard stuff since I have a bad history with it.

EDIT: If you are ever up here hit me up. We can go to the Sunset Grill and Tap. Now that place is heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back