Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Jun 27, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #1,891 of 2,001
Quote:
Hey a Beer-Fi Thread!

Rescuing it from inactivity.  I went to a small event that Ratebeer curated here in SF last weekend and had several excellent beers.  Best was probably the Prairie Artisan Ales Prairie Bomb, an imperial stout brewed with coffee, cacao nibs, cinnamon and peppers.  Flavors were all well balanced and present, sort of like a Mexican hot chocolate in imperial stout form, and better than the batches of regular Hunahpus I've tried.  Prairie Artisan Ales beers that I've tried (Gold, Hop, 'Merica) have all been excellent, and they're based in Oklahoma!

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #1,892 of 2,001

Beer was like my main hobby before i came to this site lol. I'm a stout guy through and through, but i love me a good IPA. Maybe i treat myself to a nice beer haul later this month.

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #1,893 of 2,001

Forgive me for forgetting to turn the phone sideways.  Shared a bottle of 1999 Drie Fountenain Oude Geuze with some people I met at this new bar here in SF.  Also shared a 2001 bottle as well.  One of the most interesting and delicious beers I've ever had.  

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #1,894 of 2,001
You can never have too many good microbrews. :p Big hop fan here. Some of my favourites include:

1. (Australia) Holgate Millenium Falcon Emperial IPA. 10% ABV / 100 IBU. Great hop aroma and colour.  Not to mention it balances sweet with fruity/floral notes with a not too overpowering and fatiguing hop bite. I also like Road Trip IPA and Hopinator from Holgate, but they aren't as noteworthy.
  2. (US) Rogue Brutal IPA. Awesome beer. Amazing orange colour with thick white head. More sweet than hoppy, quite sessionable for a strong IPA.
  3. (US) Sierra Nevada North/South Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale. I like most of what comes out of Sierra Nevada, but this one is my particular favourite. Just so much hops. :D
  4. (Australia) Bridge Road Brewers Single Hop Galaxy IPA. Call me a sucker for galaxy hops, this beer portrays their character well. Nice hop bite, with sweetness and fruity aroma. Fresh Hop Harvest and Bling Bling Imperial IPA are also good brews.

I've tried plenty of others around the place. Little Creatures Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Feral Hop Hog IPA, Matso's Mango beer (very nice), Rauchbiers, Nonge-O Black IPA, Lemington Stout, Raspberry Cheesecake saison (looked like pink soda water, very cool), sour beers, stouts (from oatmeal, to espresso porters, Whiskey barrel aged Imperial Stouts, even mussel and oyster stouts), chilli beers, various ciders, and too many more to recall. That's the good thing about beer. So much variety and they are all good in their own way. :) 

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #1,896 of 2,001
Wow, congrats on getting your hands on the Westie 12 limited US 6 pack release. The allotted bricks at one of the local retailers here had been spoken for long before it's arrival, certainly one of the best beers I've tried.

Aug 19, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #1,898 of 2,001
Damn, I envy you. Although not that easy to obtain any of the Westies even in Belgium, it a lot harder to obtain it in the US without paying an arm and a leg for it. I was lucky enough to get a few bottles of each of the Westvleteren from a friend of mines who was staying with friends in Belgium for a year and half. Still savoring and cellaring the remaining bottles that I have.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #1,899 of 2,001
Quote:
Damn, I envy you. Although not that easy to obtain any of the Westies even in Belgium, it a lot harder to obtain it in the US without paying an arm and a leg for it. I was lucky enough to get a few bottles of each of the Westvleteren from a friend of mines who was staying with friends in Belgium for a year and half. Still savoring and cellaring the remaining bottles that I have.

It's around in the US if you know where to look (i.e. trading with other beer geeks), but there will be a premium price attached to it.  I purchased a few bottles from an ebay seller years back to celebrate my birthday when ebay didn't enforce alcohol sales ban as strictly and enjoyed them.  Still have one left that's at three years old based on the drink by date on the cap.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #1,900 of 2,001
Quote:

It's around in the US if you know where to look (i.e. trading with other beer geeks), but there will be a premium price attached to it.  I purchased a few bottles from an ebay seller years back to celebrate my birthday when ebay didn't enforce alcohol sales ban as strictly and enjoyed them.  Still have one left that's at three years old based on the drink by date on the cap.

Agreed, there are a few beer geek forum sites where you can trade up or purchase them but it will still cost you. I've also seen a few sellers on ebay selling them for high dollars before ebay started it's restriction on alcohol sales. Interesting thing about the so called expiration date on the caps of the Westies is that the beer doesn't go bad as long as you cellar it properly. If you roll back the expiration date on the cap by three years, it will give you the bottling date.

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #1,901 of 2,001
Quote:
Agreed, there are a few beer geek forum sites where you can trade up or purchase them but it will still cost you. I've also seen a few sellers on ebay selling them for high dollars before ebay started it's restriction on alcohol sales. Interesting thing about the so called expiration date on the caps of the Westies is that the beer doesn't go bad as long as you cellar it properly. If you roll back the expiration date on the cap by three years, it will give you the bottling date.

Yep, I'm planning on hanging onto the bottle for a bit (actually, have two left after checking).  I've had it fresh and with about 1.5 years and did enjoy the port like qualities the beer gained with age compared with the notes I took when I had it fresh.  

Main goal would be to make a vacation to the land of Belgium where lambics and geueze flow freely for beer tourism and have an even fresher bottle Westy while I'm at it :p

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #1,902 of 2,001
So I had the Westvleteren 12 yesterday and I have to say I absolutely loved it. The taste...
eek.gif

Aug 26, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #1,903 of 2,001
Quote:
So I had the Westvleteren 12 yesterday and I have to say I absolutely loved it. The taste...
eek.gif

It is excellent, though I do think that Rochefort 10 comes in a very close #2 for a quadrupel in taste.  Definitely worth trying though.

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #1,905 of 2,001
My work desk last week. The new Spiegelau IPA glass developed in conjunction with Dogfish Head & Sierra Nevada brewers. Left to right - Croucher Brewing Galaxy IPA, KJD Brewing Cherry Chocolate Stout 2013, Liberty Brewing Sauvignon Bomb IPA, Epic Brewing Hop Zombie IPA, Epic Brewing One Trick Pony Comet IPA. All New Zealand beers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back