Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Apr 18, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #1,051 of 1,494
Thanks for that ...and I'm now wondering if mediums would be more comfortable. I've read that Complys are slightly larger than stock at comparable sizes so maybe those will be perfect. Onward into the tip-rolling void!
Actually, i have tried tip rolling with these quite a bit and the spinfit cp360 in my opinion is the best for this. It sounds great and is super comfortable and the best part is it fits into the charging case without any issues. You may want to consider it.

Apr 19, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #1,052 of 1,494
Just got myself a pair of WF-1000XM3 and I swapped the eartips between them and XBA-300, and put the black "old stock" tips onto WF-1000XM3 and the grey "new stock" tips onto XBA-300.:ksc75smile:

It works flawlessly, the stronger seal helps keep the TWS in place. On the XBA-300, the grey tips creates a weaker seal than the stock tips so that the ear tips won't flip every time you take off the earphones.:beerchug:

Apr 19, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #1,053 of 1,494
I picked these up refurbished a couple days ago. I guess I got lucky as they have no apparent defects, but they came with only one pair of the triple comfort foam tips. Fortunately for me they seem to be the right size, but in case I need to replace them I'd like to know what size they are. They have a sort of turquoise stem and measure about 12mm in diameter. Anyone know? I'm guessing medium.

If anyone else is interested in going the refurb route, do pay attention to supplied tips. I paid $100 and I guess this was why they were so cheap. But after using them for a while I wouldn't hesitate to buy them at the going rate for a new pair, totally worth it.

IMG_20200418_204158.jpg
Just contact the seller, they would probably send you the remaining eartips or a partial refund. The same thing happened to me and they gave me a partial refund. :beerchug:

Apr 19, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #1,054 of 1,494
Just contact the seller, they would probably send you the remaining eartips or a partial refund. The same thing happened to me and they gave me a partial refund. :beerchug:

I reread the listing and they specified "includes spare silicon tips". My bad...

Actually, i have tried tip rolling with these quite a bit and the spinfit cp360 in my opinion is the best for this. It sounds great and is super comfortable and the best part is it fits into the charging case without any issues. You may want to consider it.
Cool, I just found some cp-100s on some older buds. They are definitely more comfortable than those large stock foam ones. Seal is great, but did not survive an electric toothbrush test. I'm guessing the properties of foam let them hold better at the expense of comfort. Then again, I don't spend the day brushing my teeth. I'll stick with the cp-100s then see how it goes.

Apr 19, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #1,055 of 1,494
Any Android users here that actually prefer SBC over AAC? I think that I hear some minor improvements with AAC and am using AAC.
Also it should last a bit longer and Sony recommends AAC for Android. I would love to hear if APTX(HD)/LDAC could improve the sound - Sony please add it :)
DSEE HX did not improve the sound for me and does not allow the EQ - it also drains the battery much faster, so I see no point in using it.

The CP360 from Spinfit are worth the money I think, they are super comfortable for me (sound/seal also good). I had some pain in the ear canal with all the included tips (after some hours) which is not a problem with the CP360s anymore.

Apr 19, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #1,056 of 1,494
Has anyone else had any trouble getting these to turn on? I'm on my second set, and when i open the lid nothing happens. I can take them out, put them in my ear and they never turn on. I have to reinsert them a couple of times for them to finally come to life. I've done hard resets and changed the bluetooth device from my phone to tablet to computer and none have any more success. I really enjoy them when I can get them going, but it shouldn't be this difficult.

Apr 19, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #1,057 of 1,494
Any Android users here that actually prefer SBC over AAC? I think that I hear some minor improvements with AAC and am using AAC.
Also it should last a bit longer and Sony recommends AAC for Android. I would love to hear if APTX(HD)/LDAC could improve the sound - Sony please add it :)
DSEE HX did not improve the sound for me and does not allow the EQ - it also drains the battery much faster, so I see no point in using it.

AAC is exceptionally annoying to deal with because, unlike all the other codecs which remove data rather simply, AAC uses a psychoacoustic model to remove stuff you supposedly can't hear as well. In theory, this sounds better to other lossless BT codecs.

In reality, because it's processor-intensive, device manufacturers simply tone down the bitrate of AAC to conserve battery power. This means that AAC quality wildly varies depending on what device. There was a bit of research into this (https://www.soundguys.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-headphones-aac-20296/) which demonstrated that AAC was actually worse than SBC in a lot of devices.

Honestly, I never really felt that LDAC or AptX made that much difference in the overall sound. At best, you can hear a little bit of the high-end frequencies a bit more. I've tried switching them before with a FiiO BTR3, and at no point did I feel 'this codec sucks'. That being said, easiest way to tell were cymbals: they tizzle a bit worse on the lower-end codecs. The sub-bass is decreased a little too, but a lot of headphones drop-off at that point anyway. Maybe more sensitive ears will be able to discern.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #1,059 of 1,494
With no traveling for my job, I thought these WF would just sit unused. However, I am finding these to be an essential piece of equipment for my many video conferences. Everyone I've asked says the mic audio quality is clear too. I get about a week of use before the case needs recharging. Makes me feel more like a news anchor LOL

Apr 21, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #1,060 of 1,494
With no traveling for my job, I thought these WF would just sit unused. However, I am finding these to be an essential piece of equipment for my many video conferences. Everyone I've asked says the mic audio quality is clear too. I get about a week of use before the case needs recharging. Makes me feel more like a news anchor LOL
Yeah I've heard the same thing. I don't much like the music quality but they're great for conference calls

Apr 23, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #1,062 of 1,494
Is there any chance to have higher sound volume on WF-1000XM3 ? I maxed out on phone and headphone app but wish they would be bit louder

If you set one of the button control schemes to volume you can push it to unlistenable levels, and it should remember its internal volume setting so you can switch back to something else after.

Apr 23, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #1,063 of 1,494
Is there any chance to have higher sound volume on WF-1000XM3 ? I maxed out on phone and headphone app but wish they would be bit louder

If you have an EU version, I assume volume is limited. If so, I don't think anyone on this thread has figured out how to unlock.

Apr 23, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #1,064 of 1,494
If you have an EU version, I assume volume is limited. If so, I don't think anyone on this thread has figured out how to unlock.

It's more likely that the headset volume and phone volume are segregated. Had it glitch a few times on my phone where, instead of being controlled as one single volume, it split independently.

In that case, manually toggle the volume on the earpiece itself. Assign it a side if you have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back