Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Jul 31, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #46 of 1,494
I got mine yesterday after pre-ordering from Best Buy. Does anyone have any suggestions for foam tips? The tips that Sony included didn't work at all for me. They kept coming loose, and I even had one of the earbuds fall out of my ear while wearing them. I had some Comply TrueGrip Pro tips around, so I tried them. Although they were comfortable and provided good isolation, one of the ear tips stayed in my ear when I removed the earbud, and I had to use a toothpick to remove it from my ear canal. Is there a different foam tip that would work better with these? I'm also wondering if I could have failed to push the firmer core of the Comply tip over the raised ridge in the middle of the nozzle, so it could be my fault, but now I'm a little afraid to put these back in my ears. I also tried some other cheap foam tips I had sitting around, but I couldn't close the case with the tips on. (Why don't any true wireless manufacturers leave any extra room in their cases for larger tips? This case is already huge, what's another couple of millimeters to allow for users to choose a different kind of tip?) I've been thinking of trying the SpinFit CP360, but I don't know if those will provide the same isolation as foam.

Have been using and finding the standard tips to be fine for me, although I’d be interested in hearing whether any spinfit tips provide a better seal, as on one particularly hot day here during the heatwave the right bud did need some readjusting as it slithered out a tiny bit now and again.

Jul 31, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #47 of 1,494
I'll post my finding as well as post pics of my go to tips and whether or not they close inside the case later today when I get home. I tried the symbio W, spinfit cp100(L), cp145(M) and the bulletz from dekoni. I was bummed the symbio didn't fit properly with at least the medium size which works on all my iems. They fall out with the medium cause of the weight of the xm3 when I walk around but I got the most soundstage out of those. I have a large pair somewhere in my apt so I'll look for those later as well.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #49 of 1,494
Have been using and finding the standard tips to be fine for me, although I’d be interested in hearing whether any spinfit tips provide a better seal, as on one particularly hot day here during the heatwave the right bud did need some readjusting as it slithered out a tiny bit now and again.
I've tried the WF-1000XM3 with a Spinfit CP145 (Nozzle is a little too large, it seals but it's a little loose, but it's what I had on hand. I think the CP100 would be a perfect fit.) and it definitely creates a better, more comfortable seal on the inside. However, it sticks out a little further from your ear and so it might change the comfort of the outer portion of the earbud that rests on your ear. For me it's still more comfortable than the stock tips, but I'm having a hard time using these for more than 30-45 minutes without them becoming extremely uncomfortable. It's not the tips, it's the way they rest on the outer part of my ear. They just sit really heavy and irritate the crap out of my ears. I had the same problem with the MDR-XB50AP, and they use the same tips and they rest in/on your ears in the exact same way, too. I have glasses and gauged/stretched ears and so my ears don't fit well into ANY noise cancelling or even regular over ear headphones, so I was REALLY looking forward to these. I'm gonna keep trying them for a few more days and hope I can find a way to make them comfortable, because they sound absolutely stellar.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #50 of 1,494
Fiio BTR3 is a really good option. Good battery life, and all the best Bluetooth codecs.
I read every word on the FiiO BTR3 page, and it never mentions anything about being able to output anything over Bluetooth. All the text and photos show it being used as a Bluetooth receiver only. The specs say its 3.5 mm jack is for "headphone output" not input. The parameters grid says the only type of audio input it has is "Bluetooth connection," not 3.5 mm. All of the dual transmitter/receiver devices I've seen have a hardware switch to change it back and forth from receiving mode and transmitter mode. Are you sure the BRT3 can act as a transmitter?

Jul 31, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #51 of 1,494
I read every word on the FiiO BTR3 page, and it never mentions anything about being able to output anything over Bluetooth. All the text and photos show it being used as a Bluetooth receiver only. The specs say its 3.5 mm jack is for "headphone output" not input. The parameters grid says the only type of audio input it has is "Bluetooth connection," not 3.5 mm. All of the dual transmitter/receiver devices I've seen have a hardware switch to change it back and forth from receiving mode and transmitter mode. Are you sure the BRT3 can act as a transmitter?
Oh I'm sorry, I misunderstood your post! No, it's just a receiver, not transmitter. My bad!

Jul 31, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #52 of 1,494
Just bought and tried them out today(approx. 6 hrs+). As a new Head-fi reviewer, this review may be a little overkill. All my listening was with the ANC mode on. One should know that this artificial process typically alters the response of a driver considerably, giving it a more "digital" sound(Good & Bad IMO). I personally reference them with my KH120 Neumann studio monitors with an almost perfectly flat response(non-an-echoic but calibrated). I hope my review of this product is accurate:

First and foremost it has an overall bright response, not V-shaped response but rather a modified U-shaped curve---> Bass is surprisingly pretty accurate for the most part, definitely stronger at the extended sub-bass region. Treble is definitely BRIGHT, like the response of a V-shape's treble response. With these in mind, one can gauge the extent of mids that will sound recessed, at least from a technical standpoint. To me the midrange are OK for my day to day commute. I do not own a huge range of IEMs and earpieces, but for what I can tell the overall sound signature is refreshing and definitely lets me appreciate music of different genres in a positively different perspective. Do note that there are many nuances and details in the music that are presented in a different way, such as wide stereo effects having an extended treble. They are quite colored, definitely give them a listen first.

On to sound quality, they are quite average at its price point. But personally the highlights are its soundstage and imaging. The soundstage is quite wide, compared to my IE80 it sounds about 10-20% deeper, but separation is average IMO. Imaging is pretty accurate, but earpieces are earpieces, they don't have that natural crosstalk we hear on speakers, nonetheless based on a binaural point of view it does have quite an accurate presentation compared to many earpieces I've tried at its pricepoint.
Resolution is SO SO, to me it sounds quite grainy in the highs(not sure if its due to wireless transmission quality).

Build quality & design aspects:
The earpieces feel very plastic, hence its lightness. Not sure on the material of the touch-sensitive feature(glossy to the touch, either plastic or glass) Anyone knows? The casing/charger lidappears to have a sanded-metallic finish but it is completely plastic, same plasticy matte finish for the base. It "features" a completely curved base, making it only possible to stand upside down. This is CRITICAL for many and IMHO a design flaw(sounds like empty space in that curved base upon flicking it). Then again for me I will be slipping them in my pocket/bag so it wouldn't affect me that much.

ANC:
Probably the most interesting feature. I've used the WH-1000XM2 & 3 headphones, and the ANC on these does measure up almost as well up to the upper mid-range. From there I don't think it cancels as well as its headphone counterparts.

The earpiece comes with a really weird hybrid spare earbud. It feels like the silicone version of the comply foam tips. Feels pretty high quality. One should note that the treble response changes when using them. It will tame the extended treble range very slightly, but most would likely get used to that slight change after a while. I believe its intended use is to provide better passive isolation. Typically comply foam tips increase bass response and reduce treble response, so they might take away some overall audio clarity.

I think that's it so far. ALWAYS try them first before committing to purchases at this price range.
For me, since I'll be using it for daily commuting, I feel this, as a earpiece, is quite close to what I need for the next 2 years the least.

NOTE: Although this earpiece does not use the latest wireless technology, unless if you're into gaming or into other fast response audio applications should you consider a better signal. Its indicated sampling rate of 44.1khz is seriously good enough for most people, even most audiophiles! In fact most of our music are only about 10 true bits. Don't buy into that Hi-Res 24-bit snake oil commercial wagon. If you're looking into DSD sampling, this earpiece can't fit the bill.

Jul 31, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #53 of 1,494
Dekoni bulletz(case doesn’t close all the way but damn close)
20A4956D-577D-42D1-B519-A57D4048C1BE.jpeg
17F23076-FB3A-470C-A5B1-FC29C1EDCD39.jpeg
spinfit 100(case will close)
783D5976-3DE8-4E7F-B2E1-E9DD20C06FB6.jpeg EDC25625-5E09-4597-BFB6-386B1E9C99CE.jpeg

Spinfit 145(case will close)
D617052C-22F5-426D-98D3-A028C0A23212.jpeg 881D94A0-7E83-4B9E-B42E-D2526BA6C0F6.jpeg

Symbio W(case will close)
FD7321AD-1D6F-4B3D-9997-AF3BAACBF869.jpeg
E3823580-37FF-439A-88B7-281ABAE659B8.jpeg

Attachments

• 71664151-3931-4C53-9F15-5AAA83775E77.jpeg
    71664151-3931-4C53-9F15-5AAA83775E77.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jul 31, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #54 of 1,494
Dekoni bulletz(case doesn’t close all the way but damn close)

spinfit 100(case will close)

Spinfit 145(case will close)

Symbio W(case will close)

Thanks for the info. I just ordered the SpinFit CP360 to see if they work. I'm hoping I can find some tips that work for me soon. If not, Best Buy supposedly has a short return period on these. I was excited to try the hybrid tips that Sony makes, but for me, they ended up being the worst fitting tips I've ever tried on any IEM.

Jul 31, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #55 of 1,494
Thanks for the info. I just ordered the SpinFit CP360 to see if they work. I'm hoping I can find some tips that work for me soon. If not, Best Buy supposedly has a short return period on these. I was excited to try the hybrid tips that Sony makes, but for me, they ended up being the worst fitting tips I've ever tried on any IEM.
I think the CP360 nozzle is too wide for the WF-1000XM3. They might not stay on at all. Even the CP145, which is 4.5mm wide, barely stays on and the CP360 is 5.5mm wide.

Jul 31, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #56 of 1,494
Spinfit claims the cp360 bore size is 3.6mm at the stem that goes over the nozzle. I'm not sure why they claim it fits nozzles between 4mm to 5.5mm in diameter. I'm gonna go buy a set now to find out lmao.

Edit: They also say the cp100 is a core/bore size of 3.8 and fits 4.5-5.5. The cp 100 is actually a pretty tight fit on the xm3 so the cp100z or cp360 should be tight fits. The standard cp100 and cp145 are longer ear tips and they make the xm3 wobble when walking with them in your ears.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #57 of 1,494
Spinfit claims the cp360 bore size is 3.6mm at the stem that goes over the nozzle. I'm not sure why they claim it fits nozzles between 4mm to 5.5mm in diameter. I'm gonna go buy a set now to find out lmao.

Edit: They also say the cp100 is a core/bore size of 3.8 and fits 4.5-5.5. The cp 100 is actually a pretty tight fit on the xm3 so the cp100z or cp360 should be tight fits. The standard cp100 and cp145 are longer ear tips and they make the xm3 wobble when walking with them in your ears.
Oh weird. Yeah I was looking at the Amazon page and it says 5.5mm, but that probably just means it's for nozzles of that size. Thanks for the clarification! I've been spreading false info all over this thread today. Many apologies.

Jul 31, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #58 of 1,494
Oh weird. Yeah I was looking at the Amazon page and it says 5.5mm, but that probably just means it's for nozzles of that size. Thanks for the clarification! I've been spreading false info all over this thread today. Many apologies.

You’re all good! I saw the same thing and then went to their site before I bought a pair to test lol

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #59 of 1,494
I own (and love) the WH-1000XM3's. Is there anyway to try these before buying them? I understand very well the hygienic concerns of letting multiple people try on / demo "in ears", but dont feel like shelling out the cash unless I know I'll like them.

Aug 1, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #60 of 1,494
I own (and love) the WH-1000XM3's. Is there anyway to try these before buying them? I understand very well the hygienic concerns of letting multiple people try on / demo "in ears", but dont feel like shelling out the cash unless I know I'll like them.
The only real thing you could do is buy a set and return them if you don’t like them. While that hurts retailers for returns it comes with the territory of in ear buds/monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back