[OFFICIAL] Sennheiser HD800S Australian Review Tour
Oct 18, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #35 of 46
Thanks for sharing the link, mate. Honestly, I expected more from the HD800S and I don't really understand why they didn't replace the HD800 and keep the price the same. I guess there'll always be people who like the choice, but they're not THAT much better than the HD800 to warrant a separate product and significantly higher price.

By the way, I know some of you have bought our are planning to buy a pair. I'm not knocking the headphone on its own merits. It's a really nice headphone and better than the original HD800. I just think Sennheiser's marketing approach is wrong (as a complete outsider) keeping both models and split pricing.

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #37 of 46
Yes the HD800s is in my procession. I will be forwarding to the next candidate end of this weekend.

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #40 of 46
  @emptymt , shot you a PM about the HD800S and its next movements.

Thanks! 

It is already en-rout to the next team member which is @intlsubband
I asked his details a few days ago, and have sent the package on monday, and I've sent the tracking details to him also.

he should get it soon ^_^

btw, reviews coming up this weekend, hehe

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #41 of 46
  It is already en-rout to the next team member which is @intlsubband
I asked his details a few days ago, and have sent the package on monday, and I've sent the tracking details to him also.

he should get it soon ^_^

btw, reviews coming up this weekend, hehe

Oh wow, my mistake, you guys are super organised! 

Great work, and thank you! 

beerchug.gif

Dec 15, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #44 of 46
Just received the HD800S yesterday, everything came safe and sound. I actually own the IE800 and have loved it for the past 3 almost 4 years now, so it's strange that I never got around to trying the HD800S. I've actually tested almost every flagship headphone (albeit briefly) except for the HD800S! Feeling so privileged to be a part of this tour, I would like to thank all the coordinators and Sennheiser themselves for providing me with this opportunity. I have written some first impression on my experiences so far, I'm running them out of my Oppo HA-2 and have been listening to mainly lossless and a lot of live recordings which are absolutely sublime with the HD800S.

Build/Design -

The HD800S have a level of design and finish that I haven’t seen on many, if any other headphones including those from Fostex and Oppo. Whilst they don’t quite match the feel of the wooden Fostex headphones and the fully metal Oppo’s, they are far more practical and comfortable in daily usage. They are also built to incredibly tight tolerances; everything from the headband adjustment slider to the spring loaded hangars just glide with perfect friction and tension. It’s hard to put it into words, but the build quality, while mostly plastic, is incredible; there’s not a creak nor feeling of hollowness despite the light weight and construction of the headphone. The HD800S embody precision German engineering and maintains ergonomics whilst pursuing absolute sound quality keeping them as a headphone that I enjoy wearing just as much as I look forward to hearing.  

Sound - 

The soundstage is without a doubt the most standout aspect of the HD800’s sound, it’s the largest, most separated headphones that I have ever heard. The Fostex TH-900 used to hold that crown but the HD800 takes soundstage space to the next level. Another headphone with a standout soundstage around this price includes the Bowers and Wilkins P9, but being closed back, it also doesn’t quite reach the scale of the sound produced by the HD800. In addition to having exceptional space, the soundstage is also very well rounded between width and depth making imaging razor sharp. Whereas with most headphones I feel that they either can or can’t portray the space within the recordings of songs and generally hold back live recordings, the HD800’s are spacious to the point that they almost sound exaggerated. While I had a hard time believing those comments comparing the HD800 to listening to a good set of bookshelf or home theatre speakers, in usage, the headphones outstanding imaging and soundstage performance does these bombastic comments justice.

Taking notes for the full review, they are truly an experience. Thanks again, Ryan.

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #45 of 46
Hi all, I just posted my review! please see here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-800-s/reviews/17784 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back