Official NYC Meet Sat June 2nd 2012
May 30, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #332 of 427
Quote:
HELP ME!  NO FRONT END FOR THE NYC MEET!  

I replaced my highend DAC with a Smyth Realizer which is, at best, an indifferent DAC, but at least it is still much better than the analog outputs on my Dell laptop!  But I just found today that if you do not have a monitor on the other end of the HDMI pass-through, my computer will not output audio into the Realizer via HDMI.  ... and I have no other quality front-ends at the moment. 

Does anyone going to the meet have a front-end with an extra output or something that I could run off?  Sorry, and I don't want to impose, but I also see no point of driving all the way to NYC from Rhode Island just to have my SR-009/KGSS sound like ass because they are running off my computer.  

I have the same issue with my Audio-gd NFB-11. I'm merely hoping that someone will have something to plug into it. I'm bringing it along with USB and SPDIF cable. I'm bringing my netbook as a last resort, but it is hardly ideal as 1) I don't have it set up for that and 2) USB is not the best way... I use it because I have to, older computer no coax or spdif output...I've used it through my TV using a media server, and oh dear me is there a difference. 

I'll also be bringing my Cowon J3, Aiaiai TMA-1, Audio-Technica A700, and HJE900s (Though I'm not sure how IEM sharing would work)

May 30, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #333 of 427
Quote:

I have the same issue with my Audio-gd NFB-11. I'm merely hoping that someone will have something to plug into it. I'm bringing it along with USB and SPDIF cable. I'm bringing my netbook as a last resort, but it is hardly ideal as 1) I don't have it set up for that and 2) USB is not the best way... I use it because I have to, older computer no coax or spdif output...I've used it through my TV using a media server, and oh dear me is there a difference. 

I'll also be bringing my Cowon J3, Aiaiai TMA-1, Audio-Technica A700, and HJE900s (Though I'm not sure how IEM sharing would work)

I'm quite interested to take a listen to that J3 of yours if you wouldnt mind. Been very curious about DAP's recently. If I don't find anything better, i'll be getting a 240 GB iPod Video with internal Black Gate Capacitors in two weeks.

May 30, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #335 of 427
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 30, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #336 of 427
Quote:
I'm quite interested to take a listen to that J3 of yours if you wouldnt mind. Been very curious about DAP's recently. If I don't find anything better, i'll be getting a 240 GB iPod Video with internal Black Gate Capacitors in two weeks.

Sure thing. If you want, you can also bring a MicroSD card so you can listen to your own tracks if you please. Just make sure if they are FLAC that they are 16bit, as the J3 cannot decode 24bit. Also it doesn't do AAC. I tend to do V0 and Ogg -q8, though I do have recently put on some FLAC on my new 32gb MicroSD, but its mostly swing. 

Though honestly... the iPod video, without EQ will probably sound better than the J3. The reason I use the J3 is because it is above average, especially with sound enhancements, and the insane battery life. 60+h is hard to compete with IMHO. With EQ, anything is possible. J3, as far as I know, has one of the few hardware based parametric EQs around in that price range. 

May 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #337 of 427
Here you go.
Quote:
I plan to bring a music server with wifi for up to 10 connections, open to anyone who wants to share a 1 TB music server.

Web browser access from smartphone/ipad/etc.

Quote:

Quote:
HELP ME!  NO FRONT END FOR THE NYC MEET!  

I replaced my highend DAC with a Smyth Realizer which is, at best, an indifferent DAC, but at least it is still much better than the analog outputs on my Dell laptop!  But I just found today that if you do not have a monitor on the other end of the HDMI pass-through, my computer will not output audio into the Realizer via HDMI.  ... and I have no other quality front-ends at the moment. 

Does anyone going to the meet have a front-end with an extra output or something that I could run off?  Sorry, and I don't want to impose, but I also see no point of driving all the way to NYC from Rhode Island just to have my SR-009/KGSS sound like ass because they are running off my computer.  

May 30, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #338 of 427
I don't like EQ's with my CIEM's, but I've been curious about how they will pair. I will be bringing my 64GB microSD card, and thanks for the notice about the 24bit incompatibility. No worries though, Should be good. I have a Sansa Clip that I honestly havent even tried with the CIEM's, but that's why I got the 64GB microSD card if you were wondering.
Quote:

Sure thing. If you want, you can also bring a MicroSD card so you can listen to your own tracks if you please. Just make sure if they are FLAC that they are 16bit, as the J3 cannot decode 24bit. Also it doesn't do AAC. I tend to do V0 and Ogg -q8, though I do have recently put on some FLAC on my new 32gb MicroSD, but its mostly swing. 

Though honestly... the iPod video, without EQ will probably sound better than the J3. The reason I use the J3 is because it is above average, especially with sound enhancements, and the insane battery life. 60+h is hard to compete with IMHO. With EQ, anything is possible. J3, as far as I know, has one of the few hardware based parametric EQs around in that price range. 

May 30, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #339 of 427
Quote:
MInor deity?

Maybe in my own mind
tongue.gif

May 30, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #341 of 427
Quote:
Please add my name to the list. It only took me 9 years to get to a meet!

Well its about time !
Added to the list, will be glad to meet you.

May 31, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #342 of 427
Quote:

I cant wait to hear this. 

Hello Nikongod,
Only one issue - it's for high impedance HP's only.  The OPT secondary is 500ohm and low impedance phones would reflect to the primary and cause a very low primary.
Now that I write I could bring another pair of OPT's for low impedance but not sure if I wish to mess with the soldering iron at the meet.

May 31, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #343 of 427
Well, I have sad news. I will not be able to attend. Many of you may already know that I have been battling a very bad foot (my only walking foot/leg) for some time now. After 2 visits to the hospital, multiple infections and a bunch of surgeries, my foot is actually worse. 

I spent some time with my doctors today and there is way to much risk if I were to travel. 

Luckily its not my hands that are affected (making cables....). 
tongue_smile.gif

I look forward to seeing comments, photos and people that I haven't seen for some time now. 

The final decision was made today. So sorry for the late notice!!!

I had serval new products to show and some rather interesting announcements to make. I guess I will have to find other avenues...

Craig
Whiplash Audio

May 31, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #344 of 427
Sorry, somethings come up and I will not be able to make the NYC Area Spring meeting.  I hope to see you all in the Fall 2012. 

May 31, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #345 of 427
Craig, sorry to hear that you are having continuing health issues, and i hope that things improve.  is there someone else who could show your goodies for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back