Official NYC Fall Regional Meet Impressions, Nov. 11, 2007
Nov 10, 2007 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 123

The Monkey

Monkey See, Monkey DAC
A really sick dud
[size=large]Official NYC Fall Regional Meet Impressions, Nov. 11, 2007[/size]

Not even there yet, I just like to start these threads...
cool.gif

Nov 10, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any impressions of the Pico yet?

You live in NY! Shouldn't you be there?
confused.gif

Hoping you guys are having a wonderful time!

Nov 25, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #8 of 123
Now that we are back online, the attendees can try and remember all that went on 2 weeks ago. Guess I should have taken notes but here are my highlights:

Tried a canalphone prototype from Head Direct. Pretty darned impressive. The bass reached really low, the mids were rich and the highs were well presented. Even had impressive soundstage for a canalphone.

Finally got to try out the Apache with my DT990/600. Unfortunately - as expected - I now really want one!

Also tried out Ray's Predator prototype - amazing! I didn't realize the thing has an input switch for USB and the analog in. He synced up a Diana Krall song between his laptop and his Meridian so I could A/B the two inputs (he didn't tell me which was which). I could barely detect any differences and the one that I picked as the preferred input turned out to be the laptop feed!
eek.gif
He said he fine tuned the Predator to sound like the Meridian. I say - mission accomplished!!!

Nate's little balanced amp was terrific. I want to build one... stat!!

Denon D5000s - whoa! BASS!!!!! Was hoping to try out a pair of D2000s but didn't see any.

It was very cool to meet Justin and try out the Pico. Both he and the tiny amp are very impressive. Glad I'm on the waiting list!

Towards the end of the day I tried out a very nice set-up. For the life of me I can't remember the Head-Fi'ers name/handle or even his layout because it was with equipment I was unfamiliar with. All I can say it sounded oh, so sweet - especially through my balanced K701s. He had a jazz number playing and it just absolutely sparkled.

GS1000s through a WooAudio amp was quite nice. Can't remember which amp it was plugged into though.

Um... I'm sure there is more but that is off the top of my head. Will post pics soon.

Overall - this is my third meet and my fav. We had a great turnout and I never felt overcrowded. A terrific balance of gear and Head-Fi'ers. And, as usual, just a terrific bunch of people!

Nov 25, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 123
Any pictures?
wink.gif

Cause there seems to be lots of great gear at these NYC meets...

Nov 25, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #14 of 123
continued...

more woo:
88768613.jpg

88768614.jpg

Nikongod's toaster Supra - this is a heck of a setup, and his collection of old-school Grados is just awesome.
88768615.jpg

Ng's source for the meet, surprisingly good for a budget rig
88768617.jpg

Nov 25, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #15 of 123
continued...

I am now convinced that this is as real as trose gets...

88768625.jpg

The Monkey's HR gear, I still really enjoy the balanced desktop
88768627.jpg

Upstateguy's rig
88768629.jpg

Headdirect (Fang) had lots of new stuff to show
88768630.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back