Official: New York Area Meet, Nov 20, White Plains, NY
Nov 21, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #16 of 146

Quote:
Wow, great shots Erik! Looks like another excellent meet. Who's the lucky new owner of that Otari MX5050B2-2 ? 

That would be my father. It's sitting in our basement now. (He also won the Hornet, incidentally.)

Meeting everyone was great - Jude, Yikes, cfcubed, El Doug and Nikongod, among others, were particularly pleasurable. I came within inches of walking home with Ari's beautiful turntable, but it turns out someone else (sorry I don't know your name!) was especially determined to walk away with it. The headphones I enjoyed the most at the meet were the HD800s (the comfort!), the LCD2s (the warmth!) and the HE-6s (the soundstage!). I loved the LCD2s through the Avenson Audio headphone amp, and really enjoyed the T1s out of Ari's SEX with his fantastic Denon.

The vendors were all a pleasure to speak to and very knowledgeable. I'll be posting some pictures later, but everyone I met there was a joy to meet. Dinner afterwards was loads of fun, with lots of interesting stories to go around, and talk both about audio and not. I'll be posting some pictures later with some more in a bit.

I regret not being able to hear the HP1s, and the time I spent with JH audio was entirely too brief, but there's always the next meet. Erik was great at organizing the meet.

Nov 21, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #17 of 146
Thanks Erik for the impressions. I never could find headphones that I liked, etc., etc......  And also thanks for putting the meet together, everything seemed perfect.

I did really did enjoy the HE6 out of Ray's new little creation. An amazing feat indeed. Luckily my wallet is safe for now though....whew!

It was nice to meet everyone who's posts I've been reading over the last few years. Even though it's been said before, Head-Fiers are definitely a rare group of friendly, generous people.

Nov 21, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #18 of 146
I was only there for an hour or so but it was well worth it. Tried to get my 17yr old son to go and alternately my 24yr old girlfriend but they both told me I was a nerd. Spent almost all my time with my hero Ray Samuels and my new BF Brittany Harvey. Ray's SR-71B sounded amazing with my JH-16's albeit coming from his Meridien CD player. I use the protector with balanced out and I have to keep ipod as my source so Ray told me to stick with the protector and save my $. I really appreciated his honesty. My balanced ES10's also sounded wonderful thru the 71B but no comparison to the 16's, especially sice Ray's demo CD was all acoustic jazz. The Audio Technica ES10's are killer for Rock and Rap but aren't my #1 choice for the subtle stuff.

Brittany who was conveniently right next to Ray was so accomodating about a refit on my 16's. My right one is a little tight and she diagnosed the issue on the spot and dropped them into her pocketbook to take them back to Florida for me. Damn I hope she didn't get mugged on the way home! After owning these things for 2 weeks I don't want to go without them!

I wanted to check out the Audeze LCD-2's and this was accomplished at the Red Wine booth. Man Vinnie's stuff is great! While the LCD's sounded like wearing full size speakers on my ears they won't be good for me. 99% of my "hobby" audio listening is done on the go and the Audeze's were the least isolating phones I have ever listened to. I was able to sing along with "Magic Bus" just listening along to somebody else wearing the phones! They also appear to require a ton of power. Definitely not for New York City subway use!

My last visit was to Mr. Fang to check out the Hifiman 601 and 602. The price is quite alluring but the "card" way of storage is just not the way I wanna go. The units also look just a little too "home made" to me as well. To each his own I guess.

All in all a fun day and a worthwhile trip. As an added bonus I also got to meet his highness Jude:)

Nov 21, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #19 of 146
First off Big THANKS to Erik for organizing the meet,YIKES for running the silent auction(you could do this for a living).
Special THANKS to Vinnie from RED Wine Audio for buying Lunch for everyone & donateing great gear for the silent auction.
Also thanks to all the vendor attendance & support for the silent auction.

I listened to the RWA  LPV amp with the new class A module driving the LCD2 using the ALO jena labs cable & also ALO (much lighter/flexible) all silver cable.
I Liked the LCD2/RWA combo with both cables it drove them effortless,The jena cable seemed to have more body to the sound then the silver cable.
The silver cable opened up the headstage making it wider and deeper but lost some of the body of the jena cable,but also seemed to give the LCD2 more detail.Not shure which one I would pick but I might give the edge to the silver cable .I would like to hear a combo  ALO slver/jena cable to see if it combines sonic strengths of each cable.

RSA71B driving the HE6  moon audio  silver dragon cables,This combo had no right to sound this good/best I have heard the HE6s sound as of date.
The amp has tremendous power/regardless of size.Kudos  to Ray on this one.

Beyerdynamic T5 ,sound of the T1 but in a closed can.I tried it during the meet with my Cary 300sei ,the meet was loud Isolation was great. I want one.

This are meet impressions. 

Nov 21, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #20 of 146

Quote:
...I came within inches of walking home with Ari's beautiful turntable, but it turns out someone else (sorry I don't know your name!) was especially determined to walk away with it...

That would be me.  I've been meaning to get a turntable for quite some time and this was a golden opportunity to break into the vinyl world with a good turntable for relatively little money.  Sorry, bud.

Nov 21, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #21 of 146

Quote:
Quote:
...I came within inches of walking home with Ari's beautiful turntable, but it turns out someone else (sorry I don't know your name!) was especially determined to walk away with it...

That would be me.  I've been meaning to get a turntable for quite some time and this was a golden opportunity to break into the vinyl world with a good turntable for relatively little money.  Sorry, bud.

No problem, I'll just pick up a used 1200 when I find a deal on one.

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #22 of 146
Great meet.  I thought the venue was terrific.  I really appreciate the effort that was put into this meet.  Congrats Erik.  The auction was wonderful thanks to Ethan and all the vendon / member donations.  I agree with Region2, on the lunch.  Thanks to Red Wine Audio for that.

As usual, I was much more output (blabbering) than input (listening), but really enjoyed catching up with everyone.

It was nice to finally meet Jude and share some good conversation over dinner.

Thanks

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #23 of 146
Nov 21, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #24 of 146
Looks like a fun time had by most.  Wish I had more money/time to make the trip.

How did the new venue accommodate people Erik?  Better than the KOC?

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #25 of 146

Quote:
Quote:

She single?
Very pretty girl.

That would be Brittany Harvey, if you didn't know.

Maybe if you come next time you can get her to stick some IEMs in your ear 
wink_face.gif

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #26 of 146
Thanks to Erik for hosting such a great meet to bring in everyone in and letting us enjoy a wonderful time listening to new gear and chatting with other members!  Big thanks to all sponsors showing up and letting us hear their gear and especially Vinnie at RWA for taking us out to lunch!  The turn out was really awesome and we had people coming from all over the place.  The biggest guest was Jude showing up just for the day which was pretty awesome!  

Warrior05/Scott:  Nice meeting you and thanks bringing in your SB Touch.  I've wondered about the touch since i've been a long SB3 user and seeing how you're using it connected straight to the external HD really has me liking that set up.  Can you send me a PM with a link to your website and your modded K701?

Region2/Charles:  Awesome chatting with you about Stax and how storing (aka hiding) your gear at the office! haha  Keep me up to date with your progress on your builds.  I'd love to check out your builds when they're done and give them a listen.

Kerry:  I love your work.  The KGTT build is just beautiful and the attention to detail is amazing.  Your talks about DIYing is really motivating but alas, I don't have the time or room in my small little studio to begin.  

doompigeon/Carl:  I love the work that you and your dad did with the eXstata SS and Hybrid and the KGSS build.  I especially love the wood casework on the exStatas.  Absolutely amazing and it was great seeing your dad "in the zone" with the O2.  I really enjoyed how the KGSS worked with the 404LE but I regret not having asked to hear the O2s from them.  You got a PM coming over your way soon.

El_Doug/Doug:  It was great seeing you again and good to see the GLite LE is at a good home.  The LCD2 sound great with GLite out of the DA11.  I hope you get the new blocks for your LCD2 come in soon so you can replace them and get them pretty looking again.

The auction run by Yikes/Ethan was really fun and there were some great goodies on the table.  The cardas recabled headphones were a steal and the HE6 proto was a great price.  I walked off with a power cable so that was pretty cool. Ray Samuels was really generous and his price up-ing by $1 increments brought a great laugh!   I really enjoyed myself and it seemed like everyone who attended did as well.  Thanks again for Erik!  Too bad  I couldn't stay for dinner/drinks but hopefully I'll be able to hang out more next time.  Too bad that I didn't get a chance to chat with everyone there and being able to put a face to a name but I hope to see everyone again a futire meet.

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #27 of 146
Drew, the venue worked out very well.  There seemed to be plenty of room and it was very comfortable throughout.  Not much more quiet, though.

I have no idea as to Brittany Harvey's relationships status.  She seems like a lovely young woman and I wouldn't be surprised if you would have some competition for her attention.  But like revolink says, you'll have to come to the next meet to find out. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #28 of 146
Again, I had a really nice time, it was generous of Vinnie to cover lunch even though I wasn't there to enjoy it. He talked to me about his amps and was very friendly. I listened to his LCD-2s out of his Isabellina DAC/amp running off my new QA350's coaxial, which sounded fantastic. Ray was kind enough to buy the Cardas balanced Beyer DT880s and then donate them back, and I got them for a song, considering what they retail at. He was very friendly and talked to my dad and I about the SR-71B and balanced design. My dad and I were blown away by the HE-6 driven by that tiny thing, (OK, and a Meridien Uber CD player.) I was especially impressed at the soundstage of the HE-6 in that setup, as it was very large and detailed. There were sounds that I could have sworn were around me. When I heard those details, I thought "Forget Binaural! This is the real thing!" Listening to Ari's HD800 was nice, and pretty much what I had expected from all the stuff I have read on that headphone. The sound was spacious, quick, natural, and non-fatiguing. One thing I didn't like was the lack of bass (to my ears of course.) However, I have heard you can change that to some extent by experimenting with cables, amps, tubes, and balancing. The whole meet was a very fun and informative experience.

Nov 21, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #30 of 146

the copper lcd-2 cables were lux-fep 8 wire not jenna  boze
smile.gif
Quote:
many thanks to erik for this spectacular meet!!
also,thank you vinnie for the wonderful lunch! i know everyone really appreciated it.
ok, rays sr71b is really special! it sounded not only amazing powering the he-6,but also my jh-13s have never sounded so good.
this re-confirmed what i heard at rocky mountain audio fest last month
and look forward to rays pre-order on this little beast.
it was really great seeing everyone! these new york meets are so much fun
bigsmile_face.gif

First off Big THANKS to Erik for organizing the meet,YIKES for running the silent auction(you could do this for a living).
Special THANKS to Vinnie from RED Wine Audio for buying Lunch for everyone & donateing great gear for the silent auction.
Also thanks to all the vendor attendance & support for the silent auction.

I listened to the RWA  LPV amp with the new class A module driving the LCD2 using the ALO jena labs cable & also ALO (much lighter/flexible) all silver cable.
I Liked the LCD2/RWA combo with both cables it drove them effortless,The jena cable seemed to have more body to the sound then the silver cable.
The silver cable opened up the headstage making it wider and deeper but lost some of the body of the jena cable,but also seemed to give the LCD2 more detail.Not shure which one I would pick but I might give the edge to the silver cable .I would like to hear a combo  ALO slver/jena cable to see if it combines sonic strengths of each cable.

RSA71B driving the HE6  moon audio  silver dragon cables,This combo had no right to sound this good/best I have heard the HE6s sound as of date.
The amp has tremendous power/regardless of size.Kudos  to Ray on this one.

Beyerdynamic T5 ,sound of the T1 but in a closed can.I tried it during the meet with my Cary 300sei ,the meet was loud Isolation was great. I want one.

This are meet impressions. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back