Official HE60 appreciation and discussion thread
Apr 25, 2011 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Pabro

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I searched Head-fi, and didn't find a thread dedicated to HE60 (though I found scattered discussions on various sub-forums; please let me know if there is one dedicated thread already), so I think I'll start one here. I'm still waiting for the HE60/HEV70 that is now being refurbished at Sennheiser USA, but I can't wait to start a thread now.

Bring it on, guys! I look forward to your reviews, comments, and stories on this incredibly nice headphone.

Cheers,

beerchug.gif

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 25

Quote:
How much does something like that cost, and what exactly do they do to refurbish it?  Sounds like good information to have.

I think HE60/HEV70 combo sells at $1400 - $2500 USD these days, and the price is still going up.

As for the parts and refurbishment, I was lucky to get help from another fellow Head-fier (thank you, CodeScripted). One can order parts from Sennheiser USA, and can send the combo back for repair and refurbishment.

* headband cushion, around $12.
* ear pads, around $60.
* cable, around $102.

The labor at Senn USA is $100/h. I can tell you guys the cost on labors once mine is refurbished.

Hope these information helps.

Cheers.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 25

Quote:
Very nice! I'm quite curious about how these sound in comparison with the O2. They seem to be going for the same sort of money used, so it's something I've wondered quite a few times.

I know there are many experienced Head-fiers who compared (even A/B) them before. I hope they can share their comments here.

I'll post my impression when I spend sufficient time with the combo.
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 27, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 25
Thanks for the price breakdown.  I've heard that the HE60 is "inferior" to the O2, and the language they used was sort of funny.  But makes me not want to compare the two...  Does anyone know if any of the parts can be substituted with something more comfortable?  I've heard that the headband cushion from the HD650 can be used on the HE60, but the headband cushion on the HE60 looks really small, compared to what I remember of the HD650...

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #9 of 25

Quote:
Thanks for the price breakdown.  I've heard that the HE60 is "inferior" to the O2, and the language they used was sort of funny.  But makes me not want to compare the two...  Does anyone know if any of the parts can be substituted with something more comfortable?  I've heard that the headband cushion from the HD650 can be used on the HE60, but the headband cushion on the HE60 looks really small, compared to what I remember of the HD650...

I don't know whether it is possible to do a fair A/B between HE60 and O2. O2 are still in production, and attracts most of the attention from after-market vendors, and DIYers. BHSE, KGSS, along with a full production line of STAX amps are available to drive O2. In the meanwhile, the only amp that I know, to some degree, dedicated to HE60 is the Aristaeus, which is extremely difficult to find.

My point is, there is a rare chance that one can own both the BHSE+O2, and Aristaeus+HE60, for a significantly long period of time, to listen to them and do A/B comparison. I‘d be very interested if anyone has done this kind of work before.

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #13 of 25

Quote:
A lot of people have their HE60 re-terminated for Stax usage...

That's true. I know APureSound (APS) can do the recable, and there are several other vendors that can make HE60->STAX adapter. But the adapter is still very difficult to find. APS has good reputation; however, they seems to be in a slow mode these days...I kept hearing people complaining their slow response to email, and long period of waiting time for their order. I hope they will go back on track quickly, so we can enjoy more of their great products.

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #14 of 25

Quote:

The headband of HE60 is more than adequately sized, I find no issue with it at all.   The clamming force is a tad strong but no where near unconformable level. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back