Official Flat Pads Thread
Oct 4, 2003 at 1:04 AM Post #16 of 56
Hi guys, I wanted to ask about the effects of the flatpads vs the bowls here since this is the "official flat pads thread"
tongue.gif

1. Do all grado headphones come out of the box with the bowl pads?
2. Can flat pads be used in all grado headphones?
3. What is the big difference in the comfort and sound quality vs. the original pads.

Thanks!

Oct 4, 2003 at 5:19 AM Post #17 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by tortie
Hi guys, I wanted to ask about the effects of the flatpads vs the bowls here since this is the "official flat pads thread"
tongue.gif

1. Do all grado headphones come out of the box with the bowl pads?
2. Can flat pads be used in all grado headphones?
3. What is the big difference in the comfort and sound quality vs. the original pads.

Thanks!

1. No. The SR60 come with comfies instead of bowls. All the others do use them, though.

2. AFAIK, yes.

3. Never heard 'em, although temped to order some to find out, despite being quite happy with the bowls on my SR225's. There are literally dozens of threads on this.

Oct 4, 2003 at 9:19 AM Post #19 of 56
The bowl pads on my SR80s were uncomfortable after a few songs and after I reversed them they were fine. I really could not tell any difference in sound. Since then I've got the Sennheiser H 19545 pads on and the yellow does not bother me at all. Have a couple of flat pads on pre order with Todd so my new 225s and old 80s will be back in black.

tongue.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

Oct 6, 2003 at 2:45 PM Post #20 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by tortie
Thanks Dsmith
biggrin.gif

ditto.

BTW, what's the major difference between comfies w/quarter mod and the flats? Which is better?

Oct 27, 2003 at 11:10 PM Post #22 of 56
Flats was the best investment ever!

I got the SR-325 and the following results was obtained during a short listening session:

Comfort goes up, waaay up.
The brightness is not as emphasised anymore.
And bass goes up a bit.

3 of 3

Guess I'll be staying up late tonite... Hooray for flats
rs1smile.gif
(replace wood with aluminium)

And most importantly:
HOORAY FOR TODD!

Oct 28, 2003 at 12:50 AM Post #23 of 56
emp
Glad to see you like your flats,I see you are from Sweden and got them already.I pre-ordered my set a month ago and have been checking my mailbox every day for a week now.............NOTHING.Todd are you out there
wink.gif
Maybe I am being too anxious,but I want to see what all the hype is about.
Dave

Oct 29, 2003 at 9:11 PM Post #25 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Todd
Hi Dave,

They are on their way. I mailed all of them out no later than last Monday. They should be there any time now.

Todd

Got em!!
Thanks Todd
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2003 at 9:36 PM Post #26 of 56
Mine finally arrived after being sent up from my billing address.

I must say I'm terribly impressed -- I was doubtful $30 was going to make so much difference!

Compared to Senn pads & Senn pads reversed, the bottom end is more controlled, and the harshness of the 325s is toned down a lot. Much less fatiguing than before, and they are more comfortable now too.

If you've spent upwards of $150 on a pair of Grados, you *need* these pads.

(In the interest of full disclosure: I haven't tried the bowl pads yet.)

--Chris

Oct 29, 2003 at 10:52 PM Post #27 of 56
I find that these pads are much more comfortable,but they alter the sound maybe too much for my liking.I am one of the rare folks out there that don't find my my 325's to be overly bright,but at times they can be.With the flats I found it knocked down the highs a little too much,leaving something missing.Being the nut case I am I decided to mod the flats slightly by rounding the inside corners out a bit to open it up a like the bowls.The results gave me a little more highs,but I am still gonna give it a little more time to decide if I am happy overall with the flats.I guess someone had to be the first to mod(hack) the flats
evil_smiley.gif

I have in-closed a pic of the pad.
Dave

Oct 29, 2003 at 11:24 PM Post #28 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by dfarina
I guess someone had to be the first to mod(hack) the flats
evil_smiley.gif

I have in-closed a pic of the pad.

Interesting... but you're irreversibly experimenting with $30 pieces of foam? My goodness!
eek.gif

I guess somebody's gotta do it...

--Chris

Oct 30, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #29 of 56
my flat pads came. they are completely identical to both of my pairs of original joe grado era flat pads. great job todd, as this was not only a good idea business-wise, it was also a really awesome gift to the community.

Oct 30, 2003 at 9:59 PM Post #30 of 56
indeed...Todd you worked a small miracle. I'm a fairly religious guy and I pretty well figure you and JMT are the saints of head-fi. You have worked one miracle already...let's see if you can work another. We already know JMT works miracles, have you heard about his amp numbers?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back