Australian Head-Fi Tour Thread
Jun 17, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #31 of 342
Hi Sebastian, am just about to handover the set after 3 weeks of FIR bliss to @lycos so am planning to post some impressions over the weekend - suffice to say it was hard to let them go, Given the similar build / structure of the 3 I was wow’d by how different they each sounded, but with a common deep & clear bass / sub bass that I suppose is a common characteristic of the open bass driver port.
I’ll provide some more detail, and my preference order that suits my music tastes (not what I expected !) in a day or 2.
Finally big thanks to Damz for making this happen !
JD

Jun 19, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #32 of 342
Hi Sebastian, am just about to handover the set after 3 weeks of FIR bliss to @lycos so am planning to post some impressions over the weekend - suffice to say it was hard to let them go, Given the similar build / structure of the 3 I was wow’d by how different they each sounded, but with a common deep & clear bass / sub bass that I suppose is a common characteristic of the open bass driver port.
I’ll provide some more detail, and my preference order that suits my music tastes (not what I expected !) in a day or 2.
Finally big thanks to Damz for making this happen !
JD

Awesome, look forward to reading your write-up!

Jun 22, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #33 of 342

Here you go ...

FIR Audio Frontier Series IEM Set – Impressions from the Aussie Tour (by jaydoc1)

I have just passed on the set of FIR Audio's Frontier Series iems’s to the next Australian Headfi’er after 3 weeks of listening experience with the FIR Audio Xenon XE6, Krypton KR5 and Neon NE4, and below are my impressions.

Well, as I don’t really see myself anywhere near the level of audiophile articulation / testing methodology that I’ve seen here on Headfi, this is less a full-blown technical review and more a review of just the listening experience of these iem’s through a relatively 'heavier' music lens.

1655890961760.png

But before I launch into my thoughts, I would like to give a big, big thankyou to Headfi’er Damz87 and local Aussie Supplier Minidisc and of course FIR Audio themselves, for making this all possible.

It is very rare (has it been done before here?) in Australia, to my knowledge, to be able to trial such high-end gear for 3 weeks in your own surroundings, own music collection, etc. Over the course of many years climbing that audiophile gear ladder most of my purchases have been ‘blind’ overseas buys as there is 2, maybe 3 stores that I’m aware of in all Australia that cover the high end iem / portable gear market.

So, to say I appreciate the experience is definitely an understatement, and I encourage any other Aussie Headfi’ers to support and signup to this tour.

So, about the Xenon (XE6), Krypton (KR5), Neon (NE4) eh ?

I will say that apart from the give-away bass-port design of each, their sound signatures were quite different from my expectations and having now experienced these, I feel like there is a bit of a sound quality gap in the iem’s I currently own.

To give you a reference point, my own iems range from the JHA / AK Kayla Aions, MMR Thummims, UM Fusang, 64 Audio Fourte, Final A8000, LCD-i4 to the Obravo Ra-C-Cu’s, and what I was expecting from the FIR Fontiers was a sort of “Thummim / Fusang” mix with an increasing base signature as you go from the NE4 up to the XE6’s.

What I actually experienced with the FIR Frontier set was that each had their own unique sound signature, quite unlike what I’ve heard before, and, for my music collection / tastes (fairly raw 60’s, 70’s rock / punk, Pistols, Radiohead, Queens of the Stone Age, Pixies, Breaders, Dandy Warhols, early Bowie, Wire, Black Sabbath, Eno… you get the idea) there was one of the FIR’s in particular that stood out, but all 3 sound to me to be some of the best iem’s out there.

My player setup of preference currently is the AK 2000T via the 4.4mm cable port (but I also used my Sony WM1Z and Chord Hugo2 as well for the demo’ing), tube amp mode, Crystal Azedna ear-tips, music mostly 24bit / 192kHz with some 128 & 512DSD as well, so pretty good high-resolution sound, oh, and a nice big bean bag. In a quiet house.

So, after that lengthy intro (?), my impressions (as I mentioned, I actually won’t cover much of the tech details, design and physical descriptions, build quality, etc, as others have done that much better that I could – see Twisters 6 review for example).

Impressions Common to all 3 FIR Audio Frontier IEM's :

With a similar design for each of the 3 I found them all to be a very comfortable fit in my ears, with a fairly compact face / shell size, not too heavy, but a nice solid ‘heft’ to them, especially the XE6 being stainless-steel vs aluminium for the KR5 and NE4. The ear nozzles allow a good insertion level, good tip seal and tended to stay put – very nice.

While each one has an interchangeable Atom module (air pressure relief to reduce fatigue) with 3 different relief levels, they are fairly small and could be easy to lose, so I left them all with the supplied silver Atom inserted, which I believe is the middle level of isolation / air pressure relief range in the set of 3 supplied.

Interestingly, given the open base post design facing your ear cartilage I had assumed it would need a close / flush fit against your ear but found a little bit of movement or gap away from the ear didn’t really affect the bass to me, which is good news when compared to physical bone conduction driver designs that get a bassier ‘feel’ the closer or firmer the contact to the ears surface.

Each of the casing designs are also very solid and the plated finish over metal bodies (aluminium for the ‘NE4’ & ‘KR5’, stainless steel for the ‘XE6’) should last well and don’t seem to be susceptible to fine hair-line scratching ala’ the Final A8000’s polished stainless-steel finish. To my tastes the looks are in keeping with their price point; attractive faces with that ‘premium’ look.

As I mentioned earlier, they each have a unique sound signature, so I’ll cover the sound part separately for each starting with the NE4.

The Neon NE4:
As the NE4 is at the starting point of the FIR Frontier series I expected a ‘junior’ version of the other 2, but surprisingly experienced something quite different. To me, I heard a unique ‘raw’ style of sound tuning, by that I mean (in a good way) there was an energy and visceral edge to the mid-bass & vocal region that brought to life the type of music I enjoy (see above), without the expected bass / sub-bass dominance I expected from the exposed bass port design feature of these earphones.

High-mids to high frequencies were sharp enough to define guitar work beautifully without harshness (although they don’t extend into the extreme of highs like some estat driven iems can do) and the listening experience had the cohesiveness across the whole frequency range like you would expect from a single driver iem with none of that slightly compartmentalized frequency feeling I get from some hybrid multi-driver type earphone designs. They just work so well for my music & ears.

The bass port does its job well and bass sounds feel very natural but prominent, very strong and well defined. Just right for 60’s / 70’s heavier rock (just try out Bowies “Width of a Circle” … width indeed !).

Soundstage, while not expansive, has some good width while being a bit on the intimate side, which didn’t seem to be an issue for me as the detail & clarity of placement was all there, just not at a holographic level. Funnily enough, I think this suits the heavier / sharper rock music sound I like, giving that sense of ‘being there in the music’, whereas a more holographic sound doesn’t quite work or seem realistic to me with this type of music – especially if like me, you’ve spent any time in smaller live rock club venues (eg being pounded from huge stacks of Marshal amps from formative bands like RadioBirdman, Birthday Party… ah, showing my age a bit here).

The NE4 was also easy to drive, covering my preferred loud listening levels lower down the scale – maybe an effect of the bass port and Atom port perhaps?

The Krypton KR5:

This one was unexpected after my NE4 listening sessions as I was expecting a scale up across the board but found to my ears that it seemed a more reference sounding tune. While still visceral in the lower regions, being well defined and articulate right through the frequency ranges, it didn’t seem to bring my music alive like the NE4’s. I even had a feeling in the highs like I get from my 64 Audio Fourte’s – a bit odd in this area being slightly harsh / artificial sounding. Hard for me to pinpoint, but a bit of a spoiler for what I listen to, even given it has a more holographic soundstage, great layering and detail.

I played around with tips, Atom modules, insertion in my ear but couldn’t get the sound impact I was after and kept wanting to go back to the NE4’s. Maybe these are better suited to those who prefer a more reference sounding tune with elevated bass?

The Xenon XE6:

Now these were superb! To have such hard hitting bass (Black Sabbath’s Paranoid – bass and drum rolls never punchier than this), expressive vocal region and extreme high frequency extension and crystal clarity (one of those rare iems that make you say all over again “I’m hearing sounds in the background I haven’t heard before”) while still delivering near technical perfection in its huge 3D created soundstage is quite the achievement in iem design. To then deliver that cohesively across the range of frequencies makes me think this set would perform exceptionally well for all music styles and tastes.

So, are they the best of the set?

Well, yes from the stance of technical / holographic / clarity / extension (high to low) brilliance and I would be happy with just these as my only iem …… but for my music & ears I have an odd preference for one of the other FIR’s.
To explain, I kept wanting to go back to the NE4’s as it seemed to give my music an alive / raw feeling not quite present in the others – the music sounded more exciting to my ears than any other iem in my collection as well. How to define this ‘musicality’?

Not sure, but I think that maybe it’s just that personal connection we get from certain type of tuning in certain iems with certain types of music. So for me I like the NE4’s over the better reference level sound of the KR5’s and the sound range perfection of the XE6.
I suppose thats what I've really learnt from my time with these wonderful iem's.

PS; The NE4’s were so good for me, I’m putting a few of my iems onto the classifieds to fund these as my next purchase. Fourte or LCD-i4 anyone?
Cheers,
JD

Jun 22, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #34 of 342

Here you go ...

FIR Audio Frontier Series IEM Set – Impressions from the Aussie Tour (by jaydoc1)

I have just passed on the set of FIR Audio's Frontier Series iems’s to the next Australian Headfi’er after 3 weeks of listening experience with the FIR Audio Xenon XE6, Krypton KR5 and Neon NE4, and below are my impressions.

Well, as I don’t really see myself anywhere near the level of audiophile articulation / testing methodology that I’ve seen here on Headfi, this is less a full-blown technical review and more a review of just the listening experience of these iem’s through a relatively 'heavier' music lens.

1655890961760.png

But before I launch into my thoughts, I would like to give a big, big thankyou to Headfi’er Damz87 and local Aussie Supplier Minidisc and of course FIR Audio themselves, for making this all possible.

It is very rare (has it been done before here?) in Australia, to my knowledge, to be able to trial such high-end gear for 3 weeks in your own surroundings, own music collection, etc. Over the course of many years climbing that audiophile gear ladder most of my purchases have been ‘blind’ overseas buys as there is 2, maybe 3 stores that I’m aware of in all Australia that cover the high end iem / portable gear market.

So, to say I appreciate the experience is definitely an understatement, and I encourage any other Aussie Headfi’ers to support and signup to this tour.

I will say that apart from the give-away bass-port design of each, their sound signatures were quite different from my expectations and having now experienced these, I feel like there is a bit of a sound quality gap in the iem’s I currently own.

To give you a reference point, my own iems range from the JHA / AK Kayla Aions, MMR Thummims, UM Fusang, 64 Audio Fourte, Final A8000, LCD-i4 to the Obravo Ra-C-Cu’s, and what I was expecting from the FIR Fontiers was a sort of “Thummim / Fusang” mix with an increasing base signature as you go from the NE4 up to the XE6’s.

What I actually experienced with the FIR Frontier set was that each had their own unique sound signature, quite unlike what I’ve heard before, and, for my music collection / tastes (fairly raw 60’s, 70’s rock / punk, Pistols, Radiohead, Queens of the Stone Age, Pixies, Breaders, Dandy Warhols, early Bowie, Wire, Black Sabbath, Eno… you get the idea) there was one of the FIR’s in particular that stood out, but all 3 sound to me to be some of the best iem’s out there.

My player setup of preference currently is the AK 2000T via the 4.4mm cable port (but I also used my Sony WM1Z and Chord Hugo2 as well for the demo’ing), tube amp mode, Crystal Azedna ear-tips, music mostly 24bit / 192kHz with some 128 & 512DSD as well, so pretty good high-resolution sound, oh, and a nice big bean bag. In a quiet house.

So, after that lengthy intro (?), my impressions (as I mentioned, I actually won’t cover much of the tech details, design and physical descriptions, build quality, etc, as others have done that much better that I could – see Twisters 6 review for example).

With a similar design for each of the 3 I found them all to be a very comfortable fit in my ears, with a fairly compact face / shell size, not too heavy, but a nice solid ‘heft’ to them, especially the XE6 being stainless-steel vs aluminium for the KR5 and NE4. The ear nozzles allow a good insertion level, good tip seal and tended to stay put – very nice.

While each one has an interchangeable Atom module (air pressure relief to reduce fatigue) with 3 different relief levels, they are fairly small and could be easy to lose, so I left them all with the supplied silver Atom inserted, which I believe is the middle level of isolation / air pressure relief range in the set of 3 supplied.

Interestingly, given the open base post design facing your ear cartilage I had assumed it would need a close / flush fit against your ear but found a little bit of movement or gap away from the ear didn’t really affect the bass to me, which is good news when compared to physical bone conduction driver designs that get a bassier ‘feel’ the closer or firmer the contact to the ears surface.

Each of the casing designs are also very solid and the plated finish over metal bodies (aluminium for the ‘NE4’ & ‘KR5’, stainless steel for the ‘XE6’) should last well and don’t seem to be susceptible to fine hair-line scratching ala’ the Final A8000’s polished stainless-steel finish. To my tastes the looks are in keeping with their price point; attractive faces with that ‘premium’ look.

As I mentioned earlier, they each have a unique sound signature, so I’ll cover the sound part separately for each starting with the NE4.

The Neon NE4:
As the NE4 is at the starting point of the FIR Frontier series I expected a ‘junior’ version of the other 2, but surprisingly experienced something quite different. To me, I heard a unique ‘raw’ style of sound tuning, by that I mean (in a good way) there was an energy and visceral edge to the mid-bass & vocal region that brought to life the type of music I enjoy (see above), without the expected bass / sub-bass dominance I expected from the exposed bass port design feature of these earphones.

High-mids to high frequencies were sharp enough to define guitar work beautifully without harshness (although they don’t extend into the extreme of highs like some estat driven iems can do) and the listening experience had the cohesiveness across the whole frequency range like you would expect from a single driver iem with none of that slightly compartmentalized frequency feeling I get from some hybrid multi-driver type earphone designs. They just work so well for my music & ears.

The bass port does its job well and bass sounds feel very natural but prominent, very strong and well defined. Just right for 60’s / 70’s heavier rock (just try out Bowies “Width of a Circle” … width indeed !).

Soundstage, while not expansive, has some good width while being a bit on the intimate side, which didn’t seem to be an issue for me as the detail & clarity of placement was all there, just not at a holographic level. Funnily enough, I think this suits the heavier / sharper rock music sound I like, giving that sense of ‘being there in the music’, whereas a more holographic sound doesn’t quite work or seem realistic to me with this type of music – especially if like me, you’ve spent any time in smaller live rock club venues (eg being pounded from huge stacks of Marshal amps from formative bands like RadioBirdman, Birthday Party… ah, showing my age a bit here).

The NE4 was also easy to drive, covering my preferred loud listening levels lower down the scale – maybe an effect of the bass port and Atom port perhaps?

The Krypton KR5:

This one was unexpected after my NE4 listening sessions as I was expecting a scale up across the board but found to my ears that it seemed a more reference sounding tune. While still visceral in the lower regions, being well defined and articulate right through the frequency ranges, it didn’t seem to bring my music alive like the NE4’s. I even had a feeling in the highs like I get from my 64 Audio Fourte’s – a bit odd in this area being slightly harsh / artificial sounding. Hard for me to pinpoint, but a bit of a spoiler for what I listen to, even given it has a more holographic soundstage, great layering and detail.

I played around with tips, Atom modules, insertion in my ear but couldn’t get the sound impact I was after and kept wanting to go back to the NE4’s. Maybe these are better suited to those who prefer a more reference sounding tune with elevated bass?

The Xenon XE6:

Now these were superb! To have such hard hitting bass (Black Sabbath’s Paranoid – bass and drum rolls never punchier than this), expressive vocal region and extreme high frequency extension and crystal clarity (one of those rare iems that make you say all over again “I’m hearing sounds in the background I haven’t heard before”) while still delivering near technical perfection in its huge 3D created soundstage is quite the achievement in iem design. To then deliver that cohesively across the range of frequencies makes me think this set would perform exceptionally well for all music styles and tastes.

Well, yes from the stance of technical / holographic / clarity / extension (high to low) brilliance and I would be happy with just these as my only iem …… but for my music & ears I have an odd preference for one of the other FIR’s.
To explain, I kept wanting to go back to the NE4’s as it seemed to give my music an alive / raw feeling not quite present in the others – the music sounded more exciting to my ears than any other iem in my collection as well. How to define this ‘musicality’?

Not sure, but I think that maybe it’s just that personal connection we get from certain type of tuning in certain iems with certain types of music. So for me I like the NE4’s over the better reference level sound of the KR5’s and the sound range perfection of the XE6.
I suppose thats what I've really learnt from my time with these wonderful iem's.

PS; The NE4’s were so good for me, I’m putting a few of my iems onto the classifieds to fund these as my next purchase. Fourte or LCD-i4 anyone?
Cheers,
JD
Fantastic impressions @jaydoc1 thank you so much for sharing!

Jul 10, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #35 of 342
FiR Australia Tour: Ne4, Kr5 & Xe6 Impression

In the last 3 weeks, I have been extremely fortunate to be loaned 3 FiR Audio latest iems as part of FiR Australia Tour:
-Neon Ne4
-Kyrpton Kr5
-Xenon Xe6.
I want express my big thanks to FiR Audio, Minidisc Australia and @Damz87 for organising this tour.

Photo 19-6-2022, 3 06 23 pm.jpgPhoto 19-6-2022, 3 08 56 pm.jpg

Setup:
My DAC/Amp for this impression is Chord TT2, Hugo2 & Sony NW-WM1ZM2
Stok cables and default silver ATOM modules were used for all iems in this review.

FiR Neon Ne4
Ne4 is a warm iem with boosted bass/lower mid. The mid and treble are relatively flat. It has smooth sound presentation in which the harsh edge of notes seems to be rounded. This gives analog feeling that reminds me of my R2R DAC.

FiR marketed their kinetic bass as “bass you can feel” and I totally agree. I can not only hear the bass but also feel the impact - like having a mini subwoofer in your ear. The bass punches deep and wide.

The mid is excellent for most cases. The elevated upper bass gives extra warmth/boominess to the vocals. It sounds lush, fuller and weighty. Male vocal sounds magical with this iem. However, in few tracks, female vocal can sound unnaturally too bassy. Also, depending on the music, it can sound too sluggish and thick.

Ne4 treble is too mellow for me. I wish it has slightly more sparkle.

Detail retrieval is very good -it’s better than my UM Mest Mk2 – however, it sounds grainier compared to its bigger 2 siblings. In term of space, Ne4 feels like the most intimate among these 3.

FiR Krypton Kr5
In term of sound presentation, Kr5 is the opposite of Ne4. It is leaner, drier, more aggressive and brighter with more emphasis on upper treble and mid.

Similar to Ne4, Kr5 also has a kinetic bass which is capable to hit hard. However, it has a lot faster decay and cleaner than Ne4.
Kr5 vocal sounds more natural and not as warm as Ne4. Kr5 has forward and rich vocal but can be too lively. The vocal is nimbler and not as weighty as Ne4.
Kr5’s lower treble is well controlled. However, its mid/upper treble is piercing and fatiguing.

In term of space, Kr5 has an amazingly airy, spacious soundstage with good depth and holographic. Kr5 has excellent definition and has the best detail retrieval among these 3 iems.

FiR Xenon Xe6

Photo 19-6-2022, 2 27 15 pm.jpg
Xe6 is a V-shape iem with strong focus on bass, recessed mid and slight treble sparkle. Sound-presentation wise, it’s more on the relaxed side (similar to Ne4) than the aggressive Kr5.

Xe6 takes an already excellent Ne4’s bass quality one or two step up. Texture-wise, Ne4 bass feel more like a 1D punch where you can feel the depth., Meanwhile, Xe6 bass is more like a 3D slam where you can feel not only the depth but the surface vibration. I have never experienced this so vivid bass rumble with iem!

Unfortunately, vocal is not Xe6 forte. It sounds dull, lack of harmonic richness. The vocal seems to be disengaged and does not blend well with bass and treble. This incoherence makes feel like I’m listening to bass with mid thrown in as an extra.

In term of quantity, Xe6 treble has just enough. Its not as forward as Ne4 and not as recessed as Ne4. It has realistic treble. Imo, Xe6 has the most pleasant treble of among these 3.

Xe6 has a very good detail retrieval, better than Ne4 by quite a margin and slightly below Kr5. Soundstage-wise, Xe6 is more intimate and has less wide than Kr5 but still more spacious than Ne4.

Comparison:
Currently, I own Empire Ears Evo and Odin.Based on sound signature, Evo competes with Xe6 as fun iems. Odin and Kr5 compete as a more well-rounder analytical iem.

FiR Xe6 vs Empire Ears Evo

Photo 19-6-2022, 2 33 52 pm.jpg
Xe6 and Evo share similar trait – both are bass heavy iem with effective bone-conduction driver which you can feel the bass. However, they sound different.
Xe6 bass resembles slam with ability to rumble. Evo bass is more akin to big punch. Evo punches slightly deeper but tighter than Xe6. Evo bass is cleaner than Xe6 -possibly due to faster decay than Xe6 but it is also less fun than Xe6.

Xe6 has more elevated upper bass which gives extra warmth to the vocal. While, Evo vocal is more neutral. Evo mid is also more forward, richer and livelier – while Xe6 is more laidback.
Treble in Xe6 has enough sparkle and sound natural – while Evo has roll-off treble which make it sound darker.

Evo’s detail retrieval is no-slouch but Xe6 has better clarity. More texture especially in bass can be easier distinguished with Xe6.

Which one would I recommend? This is not easy since both are excellent performers. Would you be willing to give up vocal for a more visceral bass? Do you prefer more coloured iem? If yes, get Xe6. If you prefer more natural vocal at the expense of rumbling bass, get Evo.

FiR Kr5 vs Empire Ears Odin

Photo 19-6-2022, 3 13 09 pm.jpg

Odin is more neutral than Kr5. Kr5 has more forward and bigger bass – while Odin bass is more tamed, tighter and better controlled.

In term of vocal, Odin is more natural and has more body – while Kr5 is warmer and leaner. Odin has more pronounced lower treble without being sibilance. Kr5 puts more energy on upper treble – which often I found to be too much. Odin has more intimate soundstage, while Kr5 is a lot more spacious and 3D like. Kr5 clarity is excellent but Odin is even better.

I would recommend Kr5 if you want a more fun iem with excellent bass and don’t mind Kr5 peaky treble. For a more balanced option with outstanding detail retrieval, Odin is what I would choose.

Conclusion:
Ne5, Kr5 and Xe6 are excellent iem offerings from FiR that can challenge or even exceed other top-tier iems. Each model has its own flavour. If you prefer smooth sound, get Ne4. If you prefer a musically aggressive iem, get Kr5. If you prefer a fun sound with possibly the best bass among iems at the moment, get Xe6.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #36 of 342

Here you go ...

1655890961760.png

The Neon NE4:

The Krypton KR5:

The Xenon XE6:

Cheers,
JD

Excellent stuff. Thanks for the impressions!

Jul 12, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #37 of 342
Frontier Tour kit has arrived this morning, I am so stoked to have the privilege of spending a few weeks with these IEMs!

Many thanks to @Damz87 for organising this, and also FiR Audio & Minidisc for the kit itself.

IMG_1433.jpg

Jul 13, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #38 of 342
FiR Australia Tour: Ne4, Kr5 & Xe6 Impression

In the last 3 weeks, I have been extremely fortunate to be loaned 3 FiR Audio latest iems as part of FiR Australia Tour:
-Neon Ne4
-Kyrpton Kr5
-Xenon Xe6.
I want express my big thanks to FiR Audio, Minidisc Australia and @Damz87 for organising this tour.

Setup:
My DAC/Amp for this impression is Chord TT2, Hugo2 & Sony NW-WM1ZM2
Stok cables and default silver ATOM modules were used for all iems in this review.

FiR Neon Ne4
Ne4 is a warm iem with boosted bass/lower mid. The mid and treble are relatively flat. It has smooth sound presentation in which the harsh edge of notes seems to be rounded. This gives analog feeling that reminds me of my R2R DAC.

FiR marketed their kinetic bass as “bass you can feel” and I totally agree. I can not only hear the bass but also feel the impact - like having a mini subwoofer in your ear. The bass punches deep and wide.

The mid is excellent for most cases. The elevated upper bass gives extra warmth/boominess to the vocals. It sounds lush, fuller and weighty. Male vocal sounds magical with this iem. However, in few tracks, female vocal can sound unnaturally too bassy. Also, depending on the music, it can sound too sluggish and thick.

Ne4 treble is too mellow for me. I wish it has slightly more sparkle.

Detail retrieval is very good -it’s better than my UM Mest Mk2 – however, it sounds grainier compared to its bigger 2 siblings. In term of space, Ne4 feels like the most intimate among these 3.

FiR Krypton Kr5
In term of sound presentation, Kr5 is the opposite of Ne4. It is leaner, drier, more aggressive and brighter with more emphasis on upper treble and mid.

Similar to Ne4, Kr5 also has a kinetic bass which is capable to hit hard. However, it has a lot faster decay and cleaner than Ne4.
Kr5 vocal sounds more natural and not as warm as Ne4. Kr5 has forward and rich vocal but can be too lively. The vocal is nimbler and not as weighty as Ne4.
Kr5’s lower treble is well controlled. However, its mid/upper treble is piercing and fatiguing.

In term of space, Kr5 has an amazingly airy, spacious soundstage with good depth and holographic. Kr5 has excellent definition and has the best detail retrieval among these 3 iems.

FiR Xenon Xe6

Xe6 is a V-shape iem with strong focus on bass, recessed mid and slight treble sparkle. Sound-presentation wise, it’s more on the relaxed side (similar to Ne4) than the aggressive Kr5.

Xe6 takes an already excellent Ne4’s bass quality one or two step up. Texture-wise, Ne4 bass feel more like a 1D punch where you can feel the depth., Meanwhile, Xe6 bass is more like a 3D slam where you can feel not only the depth but the surface vibration. I have never experienced this so vivid bass rumble with iem!

Unfortunately, vocal is not Xe6 forte. It sounds dull, lack of harmonic richness. The vocal seems to be disengaged and does not blend well with bass and treble. This incoherence makes feel like I’m listening to bass with mid thrown in as an extra.

In term of quantity, Xe6 treble has just enough. Its not as forward as Ne4 and not as recessed as Ne4. It has realistic treble. Imo, Xe6 has the most pleasant treble of among these 3.

Xe6 has a very good detail retrieval, better than Ne4 by quite a margin and slightly below Kr5. Soundstage-wise, Xe6 is more intimate and has less wide than Kr5 but still more spacious than Ne4.

Comparison:
Currently, I own Empire Ears Evo and Odin.Based on sound signature, Evo competes with Xe6 as fun iems. Odin and Kr5 compete as a more well-rounder analytical iem.

FiR Xe6 vs Empire Ears Evo

Xe6 and Evo share similar trait – both are bass heavy iem with effective bone-conduction driver which you can feel the bass. However, they sound different.
Xe6 bass resembles slam with ability to rumble. Evo bass is more akin to big punch. Evo punches slightly deeper but tighter than Xe6. Evo bass is cleaner than Xe6 -possibly due to faster decay than Xe6 but it is also less fun than Xe6.

Xe6 has more elevated upper bass which gives extra warmth to the vocal. While, Evo vocal is more neutral. Evo mid is also more forward, richer and livelier – while Xe6 is more laidback.
Treble in Xe6 has enough sparkle and sound natural – while Evo has roll-off treble which make it sound darker.

Evo’s detail retrieval is no-slouch but Xe6 has better clarity. More texture especially in bass can be easier distinguished with Xe6.

Which one would I recommend? This is not easy since both are excellent performers. Would you be willing to give up vocal for a more visceral bass? Do you prefer more coloured iem? If yes, get Xe6. If you prefer more natural vocal at the expense of rumbling bass, get Evo.

FiR Kr5 vs Empire Ears Odin

Odin is more neutral than Kr5. Kr5 has more forward and bigger bass – while Odin bass is more tamed, tighter and better controlled.

In term of vocal, Odin is more natural and has more body – while Kr5 is warmer and leaner. Odin has more pronounced lower treble without being sibilance. Kr5 puts more energy on upper treble – which often I found to be too much. Odin has more intimate soundstage, while Kr5 is a lot more spacious and 3D like. Kr5 clarity is excellent but Odin is even better.

I would recommend Kr5 if you want a more fun iem with excellent bass and don’t mind Kr5 peaky treble. For a more balanced option with outstanding detail retrieval, Odin is what I would choose.

Conclusion:
Ne5, Kr5 and Xe6 are excellent iem offerings from FiR that can challenge or even exceed other top-tier iems. Each model has its own flavour. If you prefer smooth sound, get Ne4. If you prefer a musically aggressive iem, get Kr5. If you prefer a fun sound with possibly the best bass among iems at the moment, get Xe6.
Excellent impressions 👍. I heard the three Fir IEMs similar to how you did. NE4 was sharp but had the least amount of resolution kind of like a photograph with the contrast boosted up.

With the XE6, I felt that the crowded "intimate" sound stage may have been due to the bass quantity spilling over to the mids. When I tried it the black module, it created more space between instruments and felt as wide as the KR5.

I also liked the comparison with the Legend Evos fast bass vs XE6s slow bass. I think the sparkly treble of the XE6 was necessary to even out some of the recessed mids.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #39 of 342
Excellent impressions 👍. I heard the three Fir IEMs similar to how you did. NE4 was sharp but had the least amount of resolution kind of like a photograph with the contrast boosted up.

With the XE6, I felt that the crowded "intimate" sound stage may have been due to the bass quantity spilling over to the mids. When I tried it the black module, it created more space between instruments and felt as wide as the KR5.

I also liked the comparison with the Legend Evos fast bass vs XE6s slow bass. I think the sparkly treble of the XE6 was necessary to even out some of the recessed mids.

Thanks. Do you have your fav pick among these 3?

Jul 13, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #40 of 342

I'm also curious to hear your favorite as well!

Jul 14, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #41 of 342
Thanks. Do you have your fav pick among these 3?

I'm also curious to hear your favorite as well!

My favourite out of the three was XE6. They all have the open driver DNA but the XE6 compliments the Traillii the best. However if I had to go with a one IEM collection out of the three, it would be KR5.

Jul 25, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #43 of 342
Hi, is there anyone in South Australia? I saw a dude with Thieaudio Monarch recently, so there must be some IEM geeks around here :beyersmile:

Jul 25, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #44 of 342
Aug 5, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #45 of 342

Users who are viewing this thread

Back