Official 99.99% Teflon Coated Silver Wire Group Buy
Jul 31, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #76 of 424
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
so why is this a good thing? wouldnt the signal travelling across 4 different wires degrade the sound? Or does the braiding itself add benifits that overshadow this?

Consider that in stranded wire, the signal is traveling across many more than four different wires and I honestly don't think that anybody can tell the difference between solid and stranded wire manufactured to the same specifications.

There's also some talk about smearing from differences in wire lengths, but I also think that's a little suspect:

Purely from an engineering point of view, the signal is going to be traveling on the wire at a speed of at least .5c - that's 1.5x10^8 meters per second. Doing easy math (that is, assuming a 1.5m cable), the signal will reach the end of the cable in a maximum of 15ns.

Now, if the delta in wire lengths is as much as a centimeter (.01m), that means that there could be a delay between the first and last signal arrival of 150ps (.15ns). That's not audible. And a centimeter is a pretty large error.

What may be audible is the potential for inconsistent capacitance in the hand braided wire, but that's unavoidable.

Ideally, the braiding will cause the cable to have a relatively constant impedance and act to reduce noise by causing any noise introduced into one side to also be introduced into the other, thus maintaining the same relative voltage between the two. Balanced cables really perfect that idea. In practice, it's very difficult to do perfectly (by hand) because the wire spacing needs to be constant throughout the cable.

It seems to me that the biggest benefit of braiding by hand is that the cable is more managable.

It seems to me that an awful lot of people want to treat cable design with transmission line theory, but at audio frequencies, it doesn't work that way - a wire is a wire. So a lot of stuff that gets tossed out about how cables work just isn't accurate, even at 20kHz.

I'm pretty sure that I've strayed way off topic at this point...sorry...

-Drew

Jul 31, 2004 at 9:26 PM Post #78 of 424
the whole point of a litz configuration is that when you have a stranded wire, even if it is big all the current moves to the outside and doesnt really travel through the middle of the conductor.......

as a result a braided wire where the individual strands are not varnished or insulated will have most current on the surface.....

as a result in a litz configuration you have the wires separated so the electricity can travel on the surface of all the wires and not just on the surface of the bundle

primer-

more ft is going to be negligible since adding more doesnt increase the weight much and usually shipping is charged by ranges

like 1 dollar for 1 to 3 ounces so you pay the same whether you get 1.2 or 2.7 ouces for example... the key is to see how much wire will still keep you under the next shipping category

ayt999-

yeah one more week isnt going to be too much... we already got a 4-5 week lead time on the manufacture of the wire

Jul 31, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #79 of 424
if we are going for the 14 gauge wire I may want some of that too depending on price.

Jul 31, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #80 of 424
So no stranded for now????

Aug 1, 2004 at 12:08 AM Post #81 of 424
Which wire did you decide on? 24 or 26 gauge. stranded or solid.
I'm very iinterested in getting some of this action.
I want to get about 50 feet.

edit: Should have read the first post more carefully: states 24 gauge. And, at that size, I think solid would be better.

Aug 1, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #82 of 424
can we mix up wire orders (solid 24 gauge, stranded 24 gauge, maybe some 26 gauge, 14 gauge...) and get the same price per roll as long as we get to 5000 feet? or does it have to be 5000 feet of the same type of cable?

Aug 1, 2004 at 12:51 PM Post #85 of 424
From my experience, you'd need about 10% to 20% longer strands to make a tri-braid or quad-braid. That is 1.1ft per run of wire for a 1ft long tri-braid and so on and so forth. The length might need to be longer if you pull the strands real tight.

Aug 2, 2004 at 5:20 AM Post #86 of 424
i am interested as well. I probably want about 40 meters total. And have as divided types of wire possible. I just want some wire to play with and will let my ear told me the different.
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2004 at 6:11 PM Post #88 of 424
Oh... sorry, intlplby, I didn't mean to forget about you and your efforts at getting this going! Thanks! I'm sure you know how much everyone appreciates getting into a group buy situation, but it never hurts to state it again... so, thanks!

Robb

Aug 3, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #89 of 424
i just emailed to ask about the teflon thickness and the possibility of different types of wire, so i should know all that tomorrow.

GOOD NEWS!

after this 5000ft order, i can continue to get 1000ft rolls in the future at the $695 price instead of getting 5000 again.

If we can get stranded wire I would plan on getting 4000ft of solid and 1000ft of stranded since it looks like most people want solid wire.

who would prefer stranded?

So far it is just 24ga solid.

What are the specifics i should ask for on stranded wire? how many strands and how thick should each strand be?

-----

we are at 3855.

1145ft to go...... i know more people want to get in on this!

also feel free to increase your orders!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back