Official 8th Annual ChiUniFi - June 21, 2014
Apr 26, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #92 of 522
I would suggest contacting Arnold Martinez at Tweak Studio. Arnold supports ChiUniFi and he carried the SOTA and Clearaudio lines. Sota is a US line while Clearaudio is a German company.
Agree here. Arnold will do you right.

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #95 of 522
Arnold loves turntables
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #96 of 522
Does anybody know if headfiers have to request table space? I don't think I'll need more than a single 5 foot table for all my stuff...Will there be table space for us in the hall?

Kojaku

Apr 28, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #98 of 522
There's usually plenty of room for everyone and ray Samuals. Lol. If you need a whole table, get there early to set up.

I'll just come early, then. I'm really hoping I can find some affordable RCA 6AS7Gs so I can give people the opportunity to tube roll my LCD-3 LD MK VI+ Setup.

Kojaku

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #102 of 522
Any comments from the Ear Gear Expo at last weekend's Axpona?  I like the new finish on the Alpha Dogs from Mr. Speaker as they are in a Black Pearl finish and closely match my Black Pearl speakers.  While most are familar with Dan and Mr. Speaker, ZMF Headphones starts with the same basic Fostex and goes a totally different direction and the headphones have a totally sonic signature.  So many choices these days. 

The new Allnic headphone amplifier had a very nice sound.  I look forward to more time with it at our event.  They are converting it to a fully balance unit with balance in and balanced outs.  They are also incorporating separate low and high impedance dedicated outputs for both the single and balanced output. 

I had not listened to the Noble IEMs before.  Of course I liked the Kaiser 10 at a$1599.  A very well balanced IEM compared to the $1299 Noble 8C, which seemed more lively on the top end.  What was interesting is they were demonstrating their IEMs using the AK240 but using a toslink out into the Chord Hugo.  The Hugo is a nice product but on the larger size and price for a portable. 

I attended the Pono CEO seminar discussing their Kickstarter campaign's success.  Neal Young was the big reason for the success.  They raised $6.2 million and pre-sold 18,000 units for October and December delivery.  Also as a follow up they will be introducing a new Hi-Rez music store.  They have already worked with Sony, Universal and Warner Brothers to get access to their catalogs back to the earliest uncompressed analog masters.  No pricing discussed.  I hope they are significantly lower than current versions since $12, $18 and $25 seem high at least to me.  If they don't get the music more affordable, I am not sure of their long term success.

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #104 of 522
At the Noble/Chord table, I only tried Noble's 4C.  The rep. presented (as representatives do) the 4C as "neutral" but I thought it was so treble-focused as to be unbearable.  And it wasn't just all the energy up top (or lack of energy down low) but the strong sibilance.  I actually unplugged and replugged the phones thinking the connection must be wrong.  I was done with listening to anything Noble had to offer that day (assuming that extreme brightness and hollowness might be their house sound), and it seems I may have made a mistake, based on others' experiences with the higher end models.

I still needed to test the Chord Hugo separately (well, and test to see if it wasn't the Hugo the was the problem).  I had my Phonak PFE 122s on hand (a phone usually noted as "cool," especially with the gray filters as I always equip mine) and found all the music was back, from top to bottom, with all the sibilance gone as well.  I also tried out my Audio-Technica W1000Xs and heard nothing but bliss.  I was head-over-heels impressed with the quality of sound (as well as beauty and I/O functionality) of the Hugo - at this point I could definitely say the Chord was not to blame for the earlier sound with the 4Cs - and even thought it compared well to a very good desktop rig that would have you chained to your outlets in the wall.  "Reference portable" for sure, just as surely as it's out of my price range.

I was glad to try out Brian's table for The Audio Head, with either the Vega DSD DAC playing into a KingSound (3? not 2?) electrostatic amp and cans, or a WA7 Fireflies DAC and amp powering LCD-XCs.

The KingSound headphones sounded better with the bass boost off, I doubt many people would object - though it would be a tremendous benefit to have that switch to flip any time you did want a fun, dance-y bass to undergird your jams.  The WA7/LCD-XC pairing seemed the better pairing overall.  I guess the quality of the Vega DAC only got the KingSound rig so far, although it did seem a little unrealistic to pair the Vega only to the KingSound amp and phones (but not unrealistic to attach the KingSounds to a more complicated rig that had other amps/headphones, or a full stereo attached).  The WA7 and LCD-XC was more evenly extended, better extended, and more dimensional.  A satisfying desktop rig for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back