Official 2016 SF Head-Fi Meet, July 16, 2016, Wikia HQ
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #181 of 458
Has anyone gotten an answer to this question? Last year's meet seemed to be 90% trade show, 10% member rigs. Feel free to disagree
tongue.gif

From the last two official Head-Fi meet's I've gone to, it was 80-90% trade show and the others were member showcases. Though I'm not sure if they will be mixed in the same room this time or not. Personally I would prefer them to be generally in separate rooms so the more like minded DIY crowd can mingle differently than in the 'formal area'. But really the ratio of user vs. trade showcases is entirely dependent on which happens to bring more - so I'd say folks it's really up to the members of this thread - how many of us will actually step up to exhibit or not. Furthermore I would encourage more of us to not be afraid to do so: there's no extra charges, and you won't be bound to your table either, as you can have a buddy watch after your things.

I just bought a ticket. This will be my first meet, hoping to audition some nice headphones.

Awesome Gorbek and @RegularHand - while I'm not in charge of this event I'd like to extent a hearty WELCOME anyway! 
bigsmile_face.gif

L3000.gif

A few tips I would give to first timers are to generally 'think outside the box'. IE, try new headphone brands and also explore things like how an amp or a DAC can alter the sound once you find a headphone that suits you. Also there will be other gems lurking such as IEMs and DAP's (digital audio player like an audiophile's MP3 player). The above I regret are mistakes I myself have made in the first several I went to.

Jun 5, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #182 of 458
Quote:

Has anyone gotten an answer to this question? Last year's meet seemed to be 90% trade show, 10% member rigs. Feel free to disagree
tongue.gif

Yes, last year was more vendor focused but this really came down to the amount of members willing to bring rigs. The intent this year is for the meet to be more member focused and the layout of the offices where the meet is being held is definitely more conducive to this.

From the last two official Head-Fi meet's I've gone to, it was 80-90% trade show and the others were member showcases. Though I'm not sure if they will be mixed in the same room this time or not. Personally I would prefer them to be generally in separate rooms so the more like minded DIY crowd can mingle differently than in the 'formal area'. But really the ratio of user vs. trade showcases is entirely dependent on which happens to bring more - so I'd say folks it's really up to the members of this thread - how many of us will actually step up to exhibit or not. Furthermore I would encourage more of us to not be afraid to do so: there's no extra charges, and you won't be bound to your table either, as you can have a buddy watch after your things.

Great point! I would also encourage more members to step up and bring their rigs. As a reminder: please send me a PM if you are interested in bringing your rig to the SF Meet!
beerchug.gif

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #184 of 458
  Guys, here's the current member table update. Plenty of space still available!

Table Assignments

third_eye (1)
Decent Levi (1)
velvetx (1)
aamefford (0.5)
Zashoomin (0.5)
JustinBieber (0.5)
greenwiki (0.5)

Ooooh, are you bringing your TT+Stratus setup??

Jun 6, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #186 of 458
Speaking of DNA, please let me know if any of y'all fine ladies and gentlemen would like for me to bring the RIVA Turbo X and/or RiVA S' for a TrueWireless demonstration.

floatsmile.png

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #189 of 458

I think that would be pretty cool!

Alrighty...that immediately changed my smaller backpack that I was going to bring to my 50L hiking backpack full of goodies. 

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #190 of 458
Super rad with Schiit Audio! Will it be the owner Jason Stoddard, or our local authorized Schiit exhibitor? (I think it's @baronkatz)
In any case, I'm really hoping to borrow a Multifrost for the day - for exhibiting at my booth with the Elise amp and comparisons with the Gustard X12. Third_eye or anyone reading this could you please find a way to make that happen? 
bigsmile_face.gif

L3000.gif

Also I've been dying to try the HEX / Hifiman Edition X on the Elise for a while. I could have sworn somebody on this thread was going to bring one? THANKS...

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #191 of 458
  Super rad with Schiit Audio! Will it be the owner Jason Stoddard, or our local authorized Schiit exhibitor? (I think it's @baronkatz)
In any case, I'm really hoping to borrow a Multifrost for the day - for exhibiting at my booth with the Elise amp and comparisons with the Gustard X12. Third_eye or anyone reading this could you please find a way to make that happen? 
bigsmile_face.gif

L3000.gif

I think it will be Daniel (@baronkatz). Try shooting him a PM.

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #192 of 458
  Guys, here's the current member table update. Plenty of space still available!

Table Assignments

Zashoomin (0.5)

@Zashoomin, are you sure you don't need a full table?  
smile.gif

Jun 12, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #194 of 458
  I'm a bit too intimated to go. I only started this hobby for about a year or two and this would be my first meet-up. I don't even know what to even expect.

It takes just a bit of courage.  The benefits are will worth it.  Don't let the opportunity slip by.  if you want to play it safe, leave your checkbook and charge cards at home.

Jun 12, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #195 of 458
Fellow Head-Fi'er @inspiredtolive I'm totally tellin' ya it's very highly recommended to join a meet-up when you're fresh to the hobby. If only I were to have gone to a first meet 8-10 years sooner I could have massively boosted my progress on the 'audio ladder', instead of wasting too much on trial & error / heresay. I have learned without a doubt that with hi-fi consumer audio you really must try something before buying especially if it is a product of value, because everybody hears things differently. You can read literally thousands of pages on why something may suit you, but the sound still may not match your expectations unless you actually try it. And at this meet there will be a very rare combination of hi-end consumer audio as well as budget and even DIY gear that you literaly won't find anywhere else all in one place.

Not to mention being able to hear audio fidelity that is far beyond anything I would have ever thought possible.

Expectations? Naah. We're modern / laid back crew who like to just listen to headphones or sit around and talk about the hobby like science and tech.
Here's a link with photos of past meets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back