Official 2014 SoCal Head-Fi Meet, March 22, 2014, Westin South Coast Plaza
Jan 27, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #136 of 733
Hi,

I would love to attend this meet however, I'm new to this forum and I don't own any Audiophile HPs as I'm in the market for a pair, can I still attend if I don't have any gear yet? This is a great opportunity for me to test quality gear first hand.

Thanks!

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #137 of 733
  Hi,

I would love to attend this meet however, I'm new to this forum and I don't own any Audiophile HPs as I'm in the market for a pair, can I still attend if I don't have any gear yet? This is a great opportunity for me to test quality gear first hand.

Thanks!

Yes, absolutely! This is the best opportunity to test gear side by side and this is going to be a HUGE event.

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #139 of 733
May I ask if speaker or vintage receiver is allow?  I might bring my full computer desktop setup so it might include speaker and receiver.

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #141 of 733
Speakers are not a good thing to bring to a headphone meet--we need to keep background noise to a minimum so that people can do critical listening. Talking is one thing, but music over a speaker is particularly disruptive as it clashes with music we are trying to hear in headphones.

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #142 of 733
We should have a compare test 320 vs flac.

I just test with the song for a moment like this and got 17/20

It is hard to tell for the vocal part but kinda distinguish at the bass and instrument. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #143 of 733
I saw the note in my mailbox today. Very interesting. So I wonder, are these meets usually populated more by vendors with stuff to sell, or by members who are sharing their gear? It sounds like both - but I just originally had the impression it was more of the latter, than the former.

I was toying with the idea of trying to finish modifying one of my budget hybrid amps in time to assemble some sort of science project demo of cheap amplifiers (though I'm not sure how many would find that interesting, in a crowd like this). Now I guess it might just be more appropriate to bring a set of headphones so I can line up to listen at different vendor tables.

Can someone shed some light on what to expect? Having never been to one of these events, I don't want to show up with the wrong expectations. Thanks!

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #144 of 733
  I saw the note in my mailbox today. Very interesting. So I wonder, are these meets usually populated more by vendors with stuff to sell, or by members who are sharing their gear? It sounds like both - but I just originally had the impression it was more of the latter, than the former.

I was toying with the idea of trying to finish modifying one of my budget hybrid amps in time to assemble some sort of science project demo of cheap amplifiers (though I'm not sure how many would find that interesting, in a crowd like this). Now I guess it might just be more appropriate to bring a set of headphones so I can line up to listen at different vendor tables.

Can someone shed some light on what to expect? Having never been to one of these events, I don't want to show up with the wrong expectations. Thanks!

You're exactly right, it is both headfiers sharing their gear at tables and vendors sharing their products. Here is a link to last year's meet impressions thread, this one will be very similar......just on a bigger scale.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/673264/2013-la-regional-meet-impressions-thread

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #146 of 733
I'm in! I'll bring Peachtree desktop. Mad Dogs, AKG 550's, Centrance etc... Hoping to have a couple of new goodies by then (something that plays DSD files).

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #148 of 733
We should have a compare test 320 vs flac.

I just test with the song for a moment like this and got 17/20

It is hard to tell for the vocal part but kinda distinguish at the bass and instrument. 

That's a great idea. But maybe you could mix in 128k 256k and WAV, just to make it more interesting.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #149 of 733
I should be there this time! I made it to the San Diego meet and the turnout was a lot more people than I expected. Orange County isn't that far away from where I go surfing up in San Onofre so I will be glad to make the trip : ]

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #150 of 733
I'm in! I'll bring Peachtree desktop. Mad Dogs, AKG 550's, Centrance etc... Hoping to have a couple of new goodies by then (something that plays DSD files).

Check out the Schiit Loki. I was looking at DSD but haven't tried out this format to test the benefits. I'm still content with my collection of FLAC and WAV :]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back