Official 2014 SoCal Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread
Mar 28, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #196 of 298
@warrenpchi 

I didn't have a chance to hear the LG + Enigma on that day. As you know, it was incredibly busy, and I feel didn't entitled to take other people's listening time away since many of them have never listened to any of this stuff.

The LG can sound really different depending upon the tubes so it's difficult to compare. With certain 6SN7s, the LG can gel really well with the HE-6. Dan's 12SN7's goes well with the Alpha Dogs. I probably can say that the LC, while still maintaining the Cavalli house sound, is more on the aggressive sounding side. As such, it definitely suites my personal preferences, especially with more bassy cans such as the Enigma or LCD2. It would be interesting to compare the Enigma + LC combo with an Enigma + LG with something like the Genalex Gold Lion EC88s.

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #197 of 298
  purrin has a great avi, by the way... 
normal_smile .gif

OMG OMG someone got the joke of my current avatar? This is why Tari / Radio_head is brilliant. Well maybe Tari's HD800 mod wasn't.

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #198 of 298
You should have a Tux on in your pic....

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #199 of 298
The GE 6GU7 is also a very nice choice with the LG.  Great bass for phones that are not bass heavy, maybe a bit much for those that are.  I brought them to the meet but was too busy to try rolling for people.  Have to save that for the smaller events...  I will have three sets of tubes for NY.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 28, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #204 of 298
I don't know if any of the Head-Fi regulars stopped by my table. If anyone in the LA area still wants to hear the amp and other products I'm selling, I would be happy to take them to your place for a demo.

For anyone who did hear the amp, one thing to be aware of is that I had a DAC malfunction at the beginning of the day so I was using a $100 DAC (the Trends). It really reduced the dynamics and bass impact of the Bravissimo amp. Later in the day I switched to a DAC that Ethan was very kind to loan me (I forget the name of it; something he had on hand to review) which was an improvement in some ways, but it wasn't burned-in so it had a rough sound and didn't have good synergy with the Bravissimo.Still, I am grateful to Ethan.

Mike

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #205 of 298
Mar 29, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #206 of 298
This meet was great, I had a lot of fun( one had one moment where someone was a total dick to me) and would like to thank Warren and Ethan for doing this again.

I went to this meet to try only a handful of things, the TH900, HD700, Momentum and Noble's IEMS. I am convinced after talking with jude I will be getting a TH600 (a little more in my budget) and that when i do get some CIEMs, it will be the 3C by Noble or i will go with the universal FR.

One thing that stood out the most at this meet, which is crazy because this happened when I went to my first meet too, was the introduction the the Pendulumic stance 1. This wireless beast was amazing the first thing I said was "where was the actual wire". I cant wait to pick up one of these in the near future.

I cant wait til the next meet.

Thanks to everyone who showed up.

Mar 29, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #207 of 298
  Thanks, glad you liked it!

Enjoyed the write up, as well. You reminded me of a few things that I liked, but had let slip my mind and neglected to mention in my PF show report. Next time, I'm going to try not to be amazed by all the cool toys and write things down properly, instead of being a Head-fi dilettante! 
beyersmile.png
 I'll also take more time to slow down and meet everyone by name. I spoke to Ethan, and never even knew him by his Head-fi handle. And I had things to ask! Another opportunity lost! Hopefully, everyone here can make it to the Newport audio show in June, I'd love to sit down for a bevy or two and learn a few things from you who know best. 

Mar 29, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #208 of 298
  @warrenpchi 

I didn't have a chance to hear the LG + Enigma on that day. As you know, it was incredibly busy, and I feel didn't entitled to take other people's listening time away since many of them have never listened to any of this stuff.

Right, of course.  Good of you to let the news guys have their turn. 
smile.gif

The LG can sound really different depending upon the tubes so it's difficult to compare. With certain 6SN7s, the LG can gel really well with the HE-6. Dan's 12SN7's goes well with the Alpha Dogs. I probably can say that the LC, while still maintaining the Cavalli house sound, is more on the aggressive sounding side. As such, it definitely suites my personal preferences, especially with more bassy cans such as the Enigma or LCD2.

Thanks purrin, I gotcha.  The LG on it's way to me soon comes a variety of tubes that Cavalli was cool enough to include for sampling.  I don't actually know which tubes they are, though I'd be willing to bet the assortment is varied if not comprehensive.  Sounds like the LC packs an abundance of speed and potency, which interests me as well seeing as how I've been living with a relatively laid-back rig for a while.

It would be interesting to compare the Enigma + LC combo with an Enigma + LG with something like the Genalex Gold Lion EC88s.

If Cavalli does Newport, we might just get to make that happen... though, we should probably do it off hours as the show can tend to be a little (very) noisy.

The GE 6GU7 is also a very nice choice with the LG.  Great bass for phones that are not bass heavy, maybe a bit much for those that are.  I brought them to the meet but was too busy to try rolling for people.  Have to save that for the smaller events...  I will have three sets of tubes for NY.

Maybe when we shift to a two-day meet, there will be enough time for some rolling fun?

For anyone who did hear the amp, one thing to be aware of is that I had a DAC malfunction at the beginning of the day so I was using a $100 DAC (the Trends). It really reduced the dynamics and bass impact of the Bravissimo amp. Later in the day I switched to a DAC that Ethan was very kind to loan me (I forget the name of it; something he had on hand to review) which was an improvement in some ways, but it wasn't burned-in so it had a rough sound and didn't have good synergy with the Bravissimo.Still, I am grateful to Ethan.

Hey Mike, sorry about the DAC troubles at an inopportune time... that sucked. 
frown.gif

had one moment where someone was a total dick to me

Wut? 
blink.gif
  When was this?  PM me.

Enjoyed the write up, as well. You reminded me of a few things that I liked, but had let slip my mind and neglected to mention in my PF show report

...which can be found at http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue72/headfi.htm in case anyone is interested. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back