Office Setup Source Question
Sep 4, 2012 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

LowRent

New Head-Fier
[size=medium]Office Setup Source Question[/size]

[size=medium]Situation:[/size]
[size=medium]I’m considering source options for my office setup, and I’d appreciate your input.[/size]

[size=medium]Presently I’m using my iPhone 4G analog out to drive the Schiit Lyr amp and HiFiMAN HE-500 cans.  [/size]
[size=medium]Objectives:[/size]
[size=medium]I’d like to move to an external DAC, possibly the Bifrost.[/size]

[size=medium]To do that it looks like I need to move away from my current iPhone.  I’d like to stick with the iPhone, but it’s only 16GB—not big enough for my current iTunes library (which is a tiny fraction of my total library) in lossless or 320kbps.  I am out of contract, so I’m free to pick up a new iPhone 5G or anything else—but the high GB iPhones are always quite a bit more expensive.  Also, it’s not clear how I would get digital audio out of the 5G because with the expected new dock style presumably current options such as the [/size][size=medium]Pure i-20[/size][size=medium] won’t work.[/size]

[size=medium]Because this is an office setup, I’d like to keep it as low profile as possible.  I have a place to put the amp and DAC that is out of site and allows proper ventilation.  However, the source will need to be accessible for me to make changes to the music.  I need a small physical footprint.[/size]

[size=medium]Options:[/size]
[size=medium]So far I’m primarily considering two basic options, but am open to anything you have to suggest.  The list below will be dynamic—meaning I’ll make changes to it as suggestions come in and/or points and counterpoints are made. Using the office PC to drive the DAC is not an option—we can’t connect anything to work PCs, nor is personal media use permissible.[/size]

1. [size=medium]Netbook[/size][size=medium].  I can feed the external DAC from the USB of the netbook.  Due to form factor, I’m really trying to stay away from an actual notebook/laptop computer.[/size]
    1. [size=medium]Pros:[/size]
      1. [size=medium]Huge storage capacity (500GB) compared to other options I’m considering, particularly were I to add an external HD (which I already have two of).[/size]
      2. [size=medium]Acceptably small form factor[/size]
      3. [size=medium]Always charged as I would leave it plugged in.[/size]
    2. [size=medium]Cons:[/size]
      1. [size=medium]$300 out of pocket for something with no other use to me.[/size]
      2. [size=medium]Bigger footprint than I would like, but I can tuck it away so that it doesn’t draw much attention.  No matter what, it will draw more attention than the next option.[/size]

1. [size=medium]Galaxy S III phone.  Digital out generally works via USB with external DACs.[/size]
    1. [size=medium]Pros:[/size]
      1. [size=medium]With additional memory cards can hold up to 128GB (some of which is used by the O/S and other programs, of course).[/size]
      2. [size=medium]Completely inconspicuous which allows for easy song selection (I virtually always select an album and play the whole thing).[/size]
      3. [size=medium]It’s nice to have everything on one device that’s always with me.[/size]
    2. [size=medium]Cons:[/size]
      1. [size=medium]Needs charging, and I’m pretty sure that using it to drive the DAC would prevent it from being simultaneously charged. It would need to arrive fully charged every day.[/size]
      2. [size=medium]Big storage for a phone, but still small compared to the netbook options.[/size]

[size=medium]Your Input:[/size]

[size=medium]So, what would you suggest and why?[/size]

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 6
Via email I rec'd a quick reply from Schiit:

Me, "I'm interested in the Bifrost DAC. Does it work with the Samsung Galaxy S III phone? I couldn't find anything on Head-Fi or anywhere else. I already have a Lyr, BTW."

Jason Stoddard, "Nope."

So, if I want to go w/Schiit Bifrost it won't be with a Galaxy S III.

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 6
Seems like the choice was made for you.

The only con you said for the netbook was the price vs. usability aspect but considering a 160 gig iPod is only $50 less, and with your external drives affording you up to 4-5x the amount of music, I think the netbook is a good idea.

I'm sure you can find some app that'll let you control your library off your iPhone as well so you could stick everything out of view.

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Seems like the choice was made for you.

The only con you said for the netbook was the price vs. usability aspect but considering a 160 gig iPod is only $50 less, and with your external drives affording you up to 4-5x the amount of music, I think the netbook is a good idea.

I'm sure you can find some app that'll let you control your library off your iPhone as well so you could stick everything out of view.

True, but I'm not such a Schiit homer that I have to have the Bifrost.  I will certainly seriously consider other DACs.

The other thing, which is part of this decision in a roundabout way, is that I'd prefer to go to Walmart's Straight Talk with my existing iPhone.  In other words, I don't really want to buy a new phone right now.

If anyone knows of a program that allows me to use my iPhone to control my library on the netbook without a network, please let me know.

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #5 of 6
The short version… I didn’t get the Sennheiser HD 650s or the Valhala.  I purchased the HiFiMAN HE-500s & the Schiit Lyr.  The situation presented originally remains unchanged, although the equipment changed.

I need/want to be able to hear conversations around me, e.g. at a minimum I want to hear my name called.  So, I’m not listening at loud levels.  Of course open cans facilitate hearing ambient sound quite well.  For my needs open cans fit the bill perfectly.

At my typical office listening levels people sitting 10’ away are unaware that I’m listening at all—because I respond to their voices when appropriate and they can’t hear my cans.

So, for me open cans in an office are a match made in heaven.  If you have different objectives, they may or may not work out for you.

The equipment change explanation:  I ordered the HD 650s (refurbished) from Dakmart, despite seeing a mixed bag of feedback.  I used a single use credit card number generated by my bank.  After 3 days the cans were still listed as a “pending” status as they had been since the moment I placed the order, and I couldn’t get anyone to answer my calls.  My already cautious stance was pushed over the edge.  I cancelled the single use number (which had NOT been charged) and then called and left a voice mail to cancel the order.  To this day I’ve never received a return call to any of my messages, no emails, nothing.  It’s like it never happened.

In switching to the HiFiMAN HE-500s and including other, longer-term considerations, I thought it might be best to get the Lyr instead of the Valhala.  Both amps arrived on the same day, but I am returning the Valhala to Schiit unopened.  The Lyr/HE-500 combo is knocking my socks off.

I still haven’t worked out my ideal front end solution for the office.

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 6
If you could get access to your companies wi-fi then you could use your iPhone as your source by trying out the AudioTap app.  Your entire library at home without the expense of a new source.  Even over 3G I read that you can effectively get 128k bit-rate playback consistently but that might not do your equipment justice. Still an option.

If that doesn't work then I still like the idea of a netbook.  If you can't get access to the wi-fi then hook it up with an IR receiver/remote and make playlists the night prior.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back