Office headphone recommendations?
Feb 21, 2014 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DougofTheAbaci

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm considering getting a pair of headphones to leave at the office. I keep forgetting my normal IEMs and the result is a day like today: No music.

My budget is less than $350 for these, since they won't be my main headphones. I currently have an HE-500 (sits at home) and my Heir Audio 8.A's. I have a UHA-6S MK.II that I keep at my desk and my library is almost exclusively ALAC files. I listen to a lot of stuff but it's mostly rock, classical (usually film scores) and jazz when I'm at work.

I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD-25-1 II but I'm a bit unsure of where they sit sonically. Ideally I'd love something that sits between the accuracy and soundstage of the HE-500 and the 'fun' I get with my 8.A's. Maybe something on the natural end of the spectrum that's not weak on bass?

Though more, I was also looking at the Beyerdynamic DT-1350-80, but same problem as the HD-25, I don't know much about the sound.

One other concern I have is comfort as I'll be wearing these all day. I had considered getting a universal IEM, but I kind of want something I can easily take off and put back, and IEMs don't really fit that bill. I can put in my CIEMs one-handed and I still think I'd prefer a big phone. Besides, people keep shouting to me across the office and not realizing I'm wearing cans.

One last headphone, what do people think about the Bowers and Wilkins P7? They look beautiful, and I love B&W speakers, but would they really be worth an extra $100 over something like a Momentum (which I'm also looking at).

Any recommendations?

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 5
No experience with the P7, but if it's anything like the P5, it's horrible. B&W speakers are great (I have a MM-1, A7, etc.), but their headphones/IEM's are subpar. Great design though. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 5
You could take a look at Sony MDR 1 (good soundstage for a closed can, decent bass, very comfortable) or even at Focal Spirit One, or the newer and more expensive Spirit Classic and Pro.  These are just alternatives, your ear must decide anyway.

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 5
I hear great things about the klipsch x7i. Check out the winter head-fi gift guide!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back