Office Headphone Etiquette
Jul 5, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #16 of 26
I work for the National Archives and Records Administration (Federal Govt) in a large building near Washington, DC. Our building probably has about 800 people. Unless you are an upper-level manager with a private office, you sit in a cubicle in a very large room with lots of other cubicles (it's a nice cubicle though). My room probably houses about 40-45 people.

Our office etiquette REQUIRES that one uses headphones. A few people don't, playing a radio or CD player in their cubicles. Even at low levels, it drives their neighbors crazy. Consequently the word is out to please use headphones. A lot of jobs in my building require you to move around the entire facility. I pass people all day with Ipods and other devices clipped to their belt or in their shirt pocket. Most of us have learned not to use IEMs (except at the gym) so that we can quickly respond to questions and phone calls. My job also requires that I work with the public, so I don't wear headphones in public areas when the building is officially open.

Jul 5, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #17 of 26
A problem we have is that personal items can get stolen, as we do have a lot of visitors through our office. So for that reason I use cheap mx500's, and a cheap USB sound card or MD. I simply wouldn't leave anything expensive around.

Jul 6, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #18 of 26
Since there's no policy against it, but it's only the atmosphere that changes, why not actually communicate with your co-workers? Tell them that you're just listening to some tunes, feel free to come and pester you the same as always, and actually back that up and look like you mean it.

If you're trustworthy and honest with them, they may allow you to use headphones without giving you the cold shoulder.

Jul 6, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #19 of 26
I work for an Architectural firm. We have over 200 people. 75% of the time I am at my computer in my cubicle with headphones on. I can see people when they come in so I can take my phones of to talk to them.

Jul 6, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #20 of 26
I work for an automation company doing electrical design work, and since 90-95% of my desk work is done all by me, I have my headphones on 90-95% of the time I'm at my desk. I use HD25 so I can have isolation and concentrate on my work, I actually got rid of my phone and made everyone contact me through e-mail, its alot nicer that way. I started a trend in my department, about a week or two after I joined the group the number of people regularily using headphones went from 0 to 7 out of 12 people. I haven't looked at the productivity numbers since I started 6 months ago, but I sure hope they've gone up...

Jul 6, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #21 of 26
I often wear my big closed cans with the cord dangling, sourceless.
biggrin.gif
Is this portraying a rude message?

Jul 6, 2006 at 11:35 AM Post #22 of 26
I work in a contact centre enviroment as an fraud administrator, and while no one else listens to phones, i only use my right iem. That way i can 'enjoy' music and hear the sometimes annoying colleagues who ask me something.
Dont know if that can have any side effects but ive been doing that for two years now, no problems.
I think if u can work and listen to music u should be allowed to do that.
My setup E5 and 4G iPod loaded with tunes
evil_smiley.gif

edit:
smily_headphones1.gif
ive been told numerous times not to listen to them but without a real explanation why..so i grew my hair and bought the e5's so no one can notice them now
smily_headphones1.gif

cheers.

Jul 7, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #23 of 26
Well today another intern had an MP3 player with what looked like the stock buds that came with the player, both pretty aged. At least now I don't feel like the odd one of the bunch! (There are 4 interns total)

I am thinking there is a pair of SR-60's in my future, and of course I will take them with me when I go home at night.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbyers77
Well today another intern had an MP3 player with what looked like the stock buds that came with the player, both pretty aged. At least now I don't feel like the odd one of the bunch! (There are 4 interns total)

I am thinking there is a pair of SR-60's in my future, and of course I will take them with me when I go home at night.
smily_headphones1.gif

Fair warning, they leak like mad. Even when listening pretty lowly, other people can hear your music
blink.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #25 of 26
I used to work as an Accountant in Ontario(California). Its a small manufacturing setup, and has a friendly environment.

I used my PX-100 and Porta-Pro when I'm working, changing them as I like, cos I wanna test how they sound for different music.

The company didn't mind me using the headphones, but yeah, its bad for interaction among fellow colleagues, so I think we should try to cut down on headphones usage, and increase those little talks with our precious colleagues...

*oh precious... my precious....*

Now that I'm a full time student, I can use my cans anytime I like!
580smile.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #26 of 26
I work for a large electric utility. A few years back when everyone was getting new desktop computers, everyone also got a pair of headphones. Of course, they were the worst pieces of s**t it's been my misfortune to listen to, but they made it pretty clear that headphone listening was okay.

I work in a cubicle surrounded by other cubicles. I used to have a Bose SoundDock that I would plug my iPod into for listening, but because of the cubicle situation and the weird accoustics of this place (one could hear the music better two cubicles away than I could), I had to keep the volume wa-a-a-y low and limit my selection of music to background-type stuff (new age, classical--no bagpipes). So I recently sold the SoundDock and used the proceeds to buy a Headroom Total Airhead amp and a pair of AKG K-501s (I'm hoping these will be waiting for me when I get home this evening) and will do my listening with those. In fact, I'm really looking forward to Monday when I can try out this rig while working on the monthly reports.

A lot of folks around here use headphones while working (including, at times, some of the managers), especially if it's stuff that means staring at the computer screen trying to eek out another paragraph of meaningless drivel. And every one of them (including me) will immediately remove his/her phones when someone stops by, which is all that one should expect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back