Office D2000 amp
Jun 17, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #16 of 27
So it seems the suggestions are the M^3, Mini^3, CKKIII, PPAv2... any others? All of these would be able to handle the D2000? From what I understand, they have fairly high current demands despite the low impedance.

Jun 18, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you interested in tubes at all? ..dB

Sure, as long as they can drive the D2000s! My main speaker system has a tube amp in it (though not a stereotypically "tubey" sounding amp... pretty neutral with tight bass).

Edit: It's important for this first DIY amp to be easy to source, since I'd like to build it quickly.

Jun 18, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by eeerie1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually don't think the D2000 sounds great out of the Ipod (just ok). And it sounds awful out of my laptop's headphone jack. Doesn't make sense to me not to try and get more performance out of this headphone.

Is the "awful" sound you speak of due to the source or something an amp can help with? I only say this to try and save you a little money in the end. Good luck!

Jun 18, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the "awful" sound you speak of due to the source or something an amp can help with? I only say this to try and save you a little money in the end. Good luck!

Oh, I was just responding to your comment... my laptop is not a good source, and I would need an external DAC/amp to improve it. The Ipod will be my office source, and I certainly think it will be helped by an amp.

Jun 18, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #21 of 27
Delete
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #22 of 27
I just want to point out there's not going to be any consensus on the answer to your question.
It is pretty much akin to asking what is the best headphone.
The major ones have all been mentioned, so just look at the threads relating to them, schematics, prices, and whatever else matters to you (size maybe) and make your own choice.
Actually, it doesn't look the starving student has been mentioned. It's good for places where space is limited.

This is my 'starving student':
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/mil...-build-332593/

It's 4'' x 5'' and sounds very nice with high current headphones (like the d2000s). Also notice I added a mini plug in, which is useful for ipods.

Jun 18, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just want to point out there's not going to be any consensus on the answer to your question.

Yes, I underderstand that. I was hoping to also get comments on how easy these are to source, if there are kits available, build difficulty, etc (of what's been mentioned, I think only the mini^3 has a kit). Anyway, thanks for all the input!

Jun 18, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #24 of 27
the only real supplier of complete kits is jeff over at glassjar. he is one of us and does this in his free time to better serve diy - http://www.glassjaraudio.com/main.sc is his normal website. Obviously for a desk top , footprint should be small and it should be able safe to the uninformed, hence I think only low voltage options. Tube amps are limited in kit form, there is the SOHA with jisbos buffers, this will soon be superceded by the soha ii super se which jeff will be stocking too. He has in the past kept a few MMkits .

For a first build and a good amp, I would still lean towards the ckkiii ..dB

Jun 18, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by eeerie1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there no longer a kit for the ckkiii?

yes, he does supply the lits, they are just not listed on his primary web site and the old site has not been updated in 2 years and no longer reflects true cost of components.

I would suggest e-mailing him at glassjar and asking him for the details..dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back