Office D2000 amp
Jun 17, 2008 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

eeerie1

100+ Head-Fier
I couldn't find anything specifically recommended for a Denon D2000 (25 ohm impedance)... sorry if I missed it somewhere.

I'm looking to build a decent amp for the office. I'll probably be using MP3s, so maybe something that's not super revealing? Though I've been considering going lossless on my Ipod.

I'm looking for something that's easy to source, as I'd like to do it quickly. I've got lots of experience soldering (especially surface mount), but I've never done a DIY project before (and have minimal knowledge of amplifiers). I also have access to a scope, if necessary.

Anyway, I've been looking to try DIY for a while, so I'm excited! Look forward to your suggestions!

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 27
Sorry... I'm flexible on the budget. Let's say under $200, but I would stretch if there's a good option above that.

As far as size, I'd like to be able to fit it on my desk... so not huge (though that B22 is supposed to be pretty awesome).

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 27
I would most likely assume not too large because it is going to be in his office.

First thing the comes to my mind is an M^3, or Mini^3 because the D2000 are low impedance and are not too demanding .

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at first i thought "office 2000"... what the hell? had to read it 3 times before i realised there was a D there.

Sorry, could've been written clearer, I guess... too late to change it though.
redface.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #7 of 27
If I remember correctly, the D2000 has a low sensitivity, and still needs some decent power.

I suggest the M^3, or the PPAv2.

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 27
IMHE my D2k and D5k sounded just fine out of the computer headphone jack in the office and there was less of a risk of anything being taken. Try it at least first. Even an iPod out can drive these cans to great levels and they really don't need an amp. That being said, they do sound better out of my Apache
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #9 of 27
I actually don't think the D2000 sounds great out of the Ipod (just ok). And it sounds awful out of my laptop's headphone jack. Doesn't make sense to me not to try and get more performance out of this headphone.

Jun 17, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #12 of 27
But what would be DIY about that? Low impedance is not always synonymous with efficient. I've had a number of current-hungry low impedance 'phones that benefited substantially from the extra power reserve of a well-matched amp.

I second the CK^2:III. I'm currently using it as my office amp with Ultrasone PRO 750 40 ohm headphones. The build is quite well documented and having the PS on the same board as the amplifier makes for a very compact solution.

Jun 17, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #13 of 27
Jun 17, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snicewicz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Travagan’s Red-Travagan's shop

That is also a good alternative. A guy that used to work at firestone works there now I believe.

A good review for that amp can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...easure-321463/

Thanks for these suggestions, but I'm trying to go the DIY route for two reasons: it seems like fun, and I get to maximize the performance/price ratio!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back