Office Amp Controversy?
Sep 23, 2003 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

NeilPeart

Headphoneus Supremus
I need the assistance of the esteemed members of this forum. I am building a system for my office listening, but I am stymied by the amp choices in front of me. The source will be a Creek CD50. The interconnects will be a Zu Gede & a Zu Pivot, and the PCs will be a Zu Mother for the source and a Signal Digital PC for the Amp. The “power conditioning” will be handled by a Tripp Lite Isobar Ultra. My office phones are: Grado SR-225, Sennheiser HD-580 and Sony MDR-V6. I am looking for a solid state amp that features 2 inputs (1 for the CDP and another for my computer) and 2 headphone outputs. My budget is around $500-$1000, but I am somewhat flexible. However, I don’t want the cost of the amp to exceed the cost of the source (around $1000 new). This amp needs to perform well with all three ‘phones, but it doesn’t have to be the last word in performance; I simply want decent sound at the office, not a battle with Nik’s system. So far I have considered:

Gilmore V2 (heard some really bad things regarding performance and availability)
Corda HA-2 (heard it’s too “cold”)
Emmeline HR-2 (I know it only has a single input/output, but I hear it’s awesome)
HeadRoom Cosmic (Don’t know much about it, but zeplin’s sounded good to me; has single input/output)

Are there any amps I have neglected to consider? Any comments regarding performance, especially with (though not limited to) said headphones? Please don’t offer a tube amp; I have my reasons for going the SS route this time, and I don’t feel like explaining and perhaps inciting a debate. Let’s recap: SS Amp under $1K, must perform decently with HD-580, SR-225 and V6, 2 input/output a plus. Any help is appreciated.
cool.gif

Sep 23, 2003 at 7:40 AM Post #2 of 21
While I am not very esteemed around here
wink.gif
this is what I have to offer. I have the Gilmore V2, and I used to have HD580 and heard the SR225 on the Gilmore. While I wasn't that impressed with the HD580 + V2 combo, the SR225 absolutely rocks with the V2. I would really recommend that particular comb. OTOH, HD580 + V2 is not bad per se, as plenty of head-fiers here use their HD600 with Gilmore happily, turns out I am just more of a tube guy (so I have a MPX3 on the way). Gilmore V2 is probably the only on your list that satisfies all your functional needs - dual input/output. It seems like Gilmore V2 has gotten a lot of bad rap lately, I think you probably need to listen to one to see if you like it. Because I think it's a very versatile amp, ppl shouldn't write it off so quickly. As I only have experience with only Gilmore V2 I can't compare it with the rest of the amps. Good luck!

Sep 23, 2003 at 9:15 AM Post #4 of 21
I'll throw one more unesteemed opinion in. I have the Emmeline and the Gilmore V2. I've only had the Emmeline a couple of days, and my main headphones (RS-1 and Ety 4s) are both out of action, so my comments are tentative using my set of Denon AH-D950s.

I would say it depends somewhat on what types of music you listen to and what your tastes are. IMO, the Gilmore has more treble and bass extension. more transparency, more dynamics and more detail. The Emmeline has a nice midrange, is a bit more refined and might have a bit more palpability than the Gilmore. I haven't gotten far enough along to really compare some of the more subtle elements of the sound. Right now I am just listening to the Emmeline with open ears to learn what it does, in a month or so I'll actually have an opinion. I would say that the Emmeline would be better to listen to background music on, since it is smoother.

I haven't heard the Creek CD player you have so I don't know it's characteristics. I also haven't heard any of the phones you are going to use so I can't speak too well about the amp matching with them. The Gilmore will be pickier than the Emmeline about the source. For instance, my Gilmore mates well with my ModWrighted Pioneer and my portable DVD player, but it doesn't seem to mate as well with my Wadia. The Wadia plus Gilmore always makes me want to rush out and have the Wadia modified, because it seems to be holding the Gilmore back. The Emmeline sounds just wonderful with all my sources. Also the Emmeline is able to have the op amps swapped so you can season it to taste (haven't tried this yet, but I'm really looking forward to it).

Sep 23, 2003 at 11:33 AM Post #5 of 21
Just as another option, how about a used or demo Grace 901? Member 88sound appears to have just sold his for a little over your limit. Audiogon lists demo units at Audioadvisor for $1,295. Stereophile gave this a positive review a little while back, and one small advantage is that it also acts as a high quality DAC.

Most of the suggestions already made are good ones too. Having someone build you a custom PPA might also be another choice. Just a thought.

Sep 23, 2003 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by NeilPeart

mmm... can you point me to this post? i havent heard the other amps so ill refrain from commenting
cool.gif

Sep 23, 2003 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 21
I use the Prehead now and had a Gilmore V2 previously, and I've used them both with the RS-1. The HA-2 should be extremely close to the sound/performance of the Prehead, and in my system, the Prehead is full and lively, completely opposite of cold. I found the Gilmore to sound thin and uninvolving even though attacks were snappy and speed and resolution were fantastic. It was somewhat analytical and dry, and I also found it bright and lacking in body. I suppose I would put the label of cold on the Gilmore V2 rather than on the Prehead. Out of the Gilmore and the Corda, I'd recommend the Corda. The Emmeline may also be a good choice, but I can't comment with any personal experience.

Sep 23, 2003 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 21
I've received feedback regarding the Gilmore, Corda and Emmeline. However, no one has commented on the Cosmic, which hovers around the same price point at the others. Has anyone at least heard this amp? Also, does the Meier-Audio have an outpost here, so I don't have order the amp from Germany? Is Antness still backed up with Gilmore orders? Can the Grace be had for under $1000? I'm afraid to buy that amp, because then I'll need to have it modified by Carlo and that will increase the costs.

Sep 23, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 21
I think Antness is back up with the recent release of Gilmore Lite and he's shifting production towards his high end models. Your best bet is the F/S forum if you are in a hurry to get a Gilmore.

I do not think Meier-Audio has a store here. To get his products I think you have to import or look on the F/S forum. Good luck!

Sep 23, 2003 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 21
I second the suggestion for the Grace. This amp can be ideally set up for low or high impedance cans (by means of an input sensitivity switch) and is outstanding in sound quality and versatility. It has one set of unbalanced analog RCA & balanced XLR inputs. It also has either coax (RCA), optical/spidif (toslink) or AES3 (XLR) digital inputs for use with the internal DAC. It is also small (1/2 rack) and built like a tank.

I wanted to mention the inputs because if you need two separate sets of analog RCA's it only has one set.

Mine is not officially gone yet (but probably). I'll know in a couple of days.

Sep 24, 2003 at 12:54 PM Post #11 of 21
While the Grace does sound enticing, another option is the Sugden Headmaster (which is the amp that Carlo modifies - not the Grace). I hear the Sugden is great with the HD600, and thus probably the HD580s as well. However, it's synergy with the SR-225 is not well-documented. Another dark-horse option is the new PPA, of which there are 2 options: the all-out $1000 LaRocca and the more-affordable JMT (the main difference is the uber-chassis and possibly higher-grade components on the LaRocca). The PPA is said to rival amps in the >1000 region (HeadRoom Max, Grace, Sugden) and annihilate the Meta42. It is said to be a "Gilmore V2-SE + Max + Corda PreHead minus any flaws these exhibit," but this may be first-impression judgments and hype. I'd like to wait for some solid, longitudinal auditions of this amp, but I may not want to wait; it's fun to be a pioneer sometimes. I’m apprehensive about purchasing a relatively-unknown product, because I was ready to buy the Perreaux SXH-1 until I read about the hum problems many people are experiencing. There are actually WAY more good SS amps than I originally considered. I think the PPA may be a compelling option if I can find it for under $500 (the LaRocca does look DAMN FINE, though). This hobby can be quite taxing on one’s wallet and one’s mind.
tongue.gif

Sep 24, 2003 at 5:37 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Thats a first one for me. I just got this amp last week unfortunately the input ports on it are busted and I'm awaiting parts from Jan
frown.gif

Quote:

While the Grace does sound enticing, another option is the Sugden Headmaster (which is the amp that Carlo modifies - not the Grace). I hear the Sugden is great with the HD600, and thus probably the HD580s as well. However, it's synergy with the SR-225 is not well-documented.

Thats another amp I just got last Friday
biggrin.gif
Firstable its build like a tank and it looks just beautiful! I only had ~ 30 min with it so I can't comment much on the sound but what I heard was simply amazing. Maybe because I upgraded from Creek OBH11 SE. I tried it with Senn 600 + red clou cable, Audio Technica W1000 and Grado SR-325. The Senn 600s never sounded this good before (not counting the Revox CD / Synergistic cables / Blockhead setup I heard at the Chicago meet back in 92)
smily_headphones1.gif
I was simply amazed with the Headmaster. The Grado SR325 was not the best match for it, at least not as good as the Senn. Grado is my favorite rock/metal headphone but something was not clicking. I need to do more listening perhaps this weekend to be able to say more. Wish the Corda HA2 was operational, soon
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2003 at 6:28 PM Post #13 of 21
Both the PPA and the Perreaux has been getting a lot of play lately. While I think Perreaux might be the real deal, I think the jury is still out on the PPA. I remember a while ago, Gilmore V1/V2 received the same amount of attention. It might take a while as more people receive these two products and compre them to the current contenders.

There is a Grace 901 up in the F/S for 1050 shipped. I am assuming 50 is no too much over your budget and I dont know the seller. Good luck!

Sep 24, 2003 at 11:44 PM Post #15 of 21
I have recently reviewed the HA-2 after a few weeks of listening and cold would not be how I would describe it. In fact it seemed ever so slightly warmer than the Emmeline HR-2. The HR-2, HA-2 and Cosmic are all fine amps. I cannot comment on the Gilmore as I have not heard one but there seems to be a number of them for sale lately.

Choosing between these three that I have heard would be difficult. I use the HR-2 at home and the Cosmic at work but I bought it primarily for travel. I think versatility of the HR-2 would sway me in its favor. I like the ability to op amp roll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back