off topic
Mar 10, 2004 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

rickcr42

Are YOU talkin' to me?
For your listening pleasure

something to play with would be really cool so these are a couple of interesting links to music makers instead of music players

Tube analog synthesizer , no a kit but easily done with point ot point if you know how,add a midi interface and let 'er rip

http://www.blaze.net.au/~sasami/synth/tube/index.html

PAiA's version of the Theremin , the Theremax . all schematics and cabinet plans available . If you build it cruise over to fred nachbauers site for the mods . Anyone old enough to remember the old science fiction B movies will recognize the sound of this guy

http://www.paia.com/theremax.htm

ooOOOOOOOoooohooooooooooo

Mar 11, 2004 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 12
I've been having fun lately with stompboxes.

fuzz_box_1.jpg

This is my version of Joe Gagen's Easy Face , a Fuzz Face derivitive using a silicon transistor driving a germanium transistor.

fuzz_box_2.jpg

I'm starting to love painting...

fuzz_box_3.jpg

Controls are:

VOLT = a series resitor between the battery and the circuit which you can use to starve the circuit and give you truly nasty gating-splatty sounds.
GAIN = adjust the gain of the first transistor
TONE = adjusts the low frequency cut-off at the input of the circuit
VOLUME = makes it louder

fuzz_box_4.jpg

Note the fancy-shmancy boo-teek caps - I guess my junk box is a little different from most stompbox builders...

Next up - an envelope filter!!

noisy,
erix

Mar 12, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
nice work man

have you ever built the Real McTube FUZZ Box ?

Thanx!

Nope - haven't built it but I've thought about it and even e-mailed Fred a few times - nice guy. He's got a new version now.

Fred's Tube Projects

Theramins too - Hey, are we back on topic now?

ok,
erix

Mar 12, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 12
but yeah , kinda sorta

pretty much anything performance based rather than reproduction based

The axe 84 site has a pdf file of the real mctube and there is a downlaodable pdf file available for it from another site

i am considering a build due to it being a preamp as well as an overdrive stage according to the usage

and fred's site also has mods for the theramax plus a rally cool theremin made from an old radio

the tube synth is a "will build" but it is presently down on my list of things to do , as is the theremin .

I would like to do a classic rather than modern theremin but the parts from the old RCA and MOOG plans are not easy to find and it looks like keeping them in tune would be a real b*tch

But hey ,that's why this is fun

wink.gif

BTW-you ever check out the virtual theremin from the BBC ?

A link to it is under "just for fun" in the DIY links section above

Mar 12, 2004 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 12
Of the tube-based stompboxes I've got wood for a Matchless Hotbox. It's two channel, clean and filthy, with tone controls.

Here's the schem, and here's a layout.

ok,
erix

Mar 13, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 12
There is something pretty funny about Cerafine caps in a stompbox.

"Cerafines, The Best Caps for Cleaner, Smoother, Distortion."

Mar 13, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #11 of 12
Check out the Alessandro line of guitar amps ,cerfines ,solen fast caps,audioquest wire-built like audiophile equipment with boutique parts

and BTW-for me they are the best looking guitar amps on the planet

love real wood

Users who are viewing this thread

Back