Off Topic Thread: Off Topic Is On Topic Here
Mar 28, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #16 of 184
Yet in post #10, you say Realiser doesn't "sound identical to the real speakers".
The method of measuring and re-enacting doesn't capture certain kinds of distortions (non-linear distortions I think).
(They measure with sweeped sine signals and by deconvolving the measured sweep response with the sweep they create an impulse response.)
So the virtual speakers in fact have less distortion than the real speakers! But you get the distortion of the headphones in return. The HPEQ only compensates for frequency response of the headphones. Another thing is that the HPEQ does not work very precise in the lowest octaves. So a slight difference in frequency response in the low end is possible.

The spatiality is not compromised by this.

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #17 of 184
but I have yet to listen to one that gives an illusion of music being several feet in front of me.
That is exactly what the Realiser can do!
I have heard a few other 'solutions' in the past years, like DTS Headphone for example, and none of them worked for me, like @castleofargh said: It's a different world of simulation.

One more witness account:
The first of the A16s have been delivered, so there are some out there.

You might want to take the opportunity to demo one if you get the chance. I heard a fairly early version a while back and it was far superior to any of the VR/simulation systems I’ve heard before or since. Startlingly good. If I didn’t have the space for a surround setup, I would purchase one.

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #18 of 184
So the virtual speakers in fact have less distortion than the real speakers!

That's like saying virtual reality is more real than reality

The spatiality is not compromised by this.

Realiser is having to make a spatial field: otherwise there would be no effect.

Mar 28, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #19 of 184
That's like saying virtual reality is more real than reality
No. The simulation of the loudspeakers and room is less real, because it has less distorion than the real speakers.
However the rendering of the recording by this less-real-speaker-simulation could be more real, or less real (but that is of course subjective because most recordings are not about some reality).
Realiser is having to make a spatial field: otherwise there would be no effect.
I am not sure what you want to say, but:
When you listen to a spatial field in the end your two ear drums pick up air pressure variations at two locations (where the two ear drums are). The rest of your hearing system including your brain does the rest. When the Realiser can make your ear drums pick up that same air pressure variations (even with the slightly altered/decreased distortion compared to the measured speakers) the rest of your hearing system including your brain can do the rest as well.

Mar 28, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #20 of 184
No. The simulation of the loudspeakers and room is less real, because it has less distorion than the real speakers.
However the rendering of the recording by this less-real-speaker-simulation could be more real, or less real (but that is of course subjective because most recordings are not about some reality).

I am not sure what you want to say, but:
When you listen to a spatial field in the end your two ear drums pick up air pressure variations at two locations (where the two ear drums are). The rest of your hearing system including your brain does the rest. When the Realiser can make your ear drums pick up that same air pressure variations (even with the slightly altered/decreased distortion compared to the measured speakers) the rest of your hearing system including your brain can do the rest as well.

No, hearing first happens with your earlobes. Sound gets reflected from the helixes of your ear to then enter your ear canal and then interact with your eardrum. Your brain decodes the differences in figuring out the location of a sound (not just which ear is getting most volume, but certain frequencies being directed towards the front or back of the helix.

I'm not sure what you mean by "real". If "real" is being at the actual perforamance, then neither speakers nor a headphone solution will be absolutely "real". I've never seen an argument that if one system has less "distortion" that is a direct correlation to reality.

You said spatiality is not compromised by Realiser, but it inherently is having to make up a spacial field to be 3D audio. You've voiced your belief that it does it effectively....but it's still changing the source stereo recording.

Mar 29, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #21 of 184
No, hearing first happens with your earlobes. Sound gets reflected from the helixes of your ear to then enter your ear canal and then interact with your eardrum. Your brain decodes the differences in figuring out the location of a sound (not just which ear is getting most volume, but certain frequencies being directed towards the front or back of the helix.
Exactly. All what you descibe results into a filtering of the sound, dependent of the direction where it is coming from. That is the largest part of your HRTF. The realiser mimics this filtering (of the direct sound, and of reflections and reverberation) and compensates for the filtering of the headphone sound. Because it works different for different individuals a generic, non-personalised solution will never work (not for everybody). The combination of personalisation with head-tracking is what makes the Realiser work so well.
You said spatiality is not compromised by Realiser, but it inherently is having to make up a spacial field to be 3D audio. You've voiced your belief that it does it effectively....but it's still changing the source stereo recording.
Again: the particular changes are not relevant for the spatiality. The filtering in accordance with your personal HRTF does the trick.
The result is that it sounds like real speakers standing at a distance, only slightly different speakers than the ones you measured.
The sound does appear to come from a distance, if for example you listen to a simulation of a stereo pair of speakers the sound does seem to be coming from the front, from a distance. [Edit: the same distance as the real speakers that were measured.]

[Edit:
I said the re-enactment should reach a certain precision, not that it should be 'infinetely precise' before it can fool the brain into thinking it hears real speakers from a distance.

I'm not sure what you mean by "real". If "real" is being at the actual perforamance, then neither speakers nor a headphone solution will be absolutely "real". I've never seen an argument that if one system has less "distortion" that is a direct correlation to reality.
When you are referring to the total rendering of the recording then you are right (and I formulated the remark about that part not so clear, I agree).
However, the seperate part of rendering speakers in a room over headphones is the rendering of a reality (how a particular set of speakers sound in a particular room). This rendering part can be more or less real (that is: closer or less close to the real sound of the real speakers).
]

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #22 of 184
But that actually is one of Gregorio's points (correct me if I am wrong, @gregorio) : no one can claim to know for sure that nobody can experience for example speaker like spatiality over headphones using the right tools.

No need to correct you, you're not wrong.
I thought my post was pretty clear: I have not experienced and do not expect headphones to recreate accurate specialty. You say this can be subjective, but then claim that everyone you know who listens to X system/software will hear a realistic spatial field. I have seen other members post about such and such software making headphones giving realistic modeling, but with my experience....a lot of times, crossfeed or "3D surround" only knocks down detail and/or dynamics.

That's largely my experience too. I've never heard a crossfeed I preferred, very occasionally with specific (mainly very early) stereo recordings the overall effect is somewhat of an improvement but far more commonly, the disadvantages are as bad or worse than not using crossfeed. Additionally, I don't find most binaural recordings (or mixes with applied binaural processing) to be entirely satisfactory or even preferable, although I have experienced the odd exception. And lastly, I too "get more enjoyment with my surround system", so we seem to be almost identical or at least very similar but with one crucial difference: I don't extrapolate my experience to everyone else because there is reliable scientific evidence which indicates different people have different experiences/perceptions/preferences in this regard and this is the sound science forum, not the "What Gregorio Experiences" subforum.

There's another issue, as castleofargh mentioned, the notion of recreating "accurate spatiality". While there are ways of recording (and reproducing) spatiality accurately, those methods had largely been surpassed even before stereo recordings were available to the public, in favour of inaccurate but more subjectively pleasing spatiality. And with popular music genres, starting in the late 1950's and pretty much ubiquitous by the late 1960's/early 1970's, there wasn't even the notion of an accurate spatiality but a (subjectively pleasing) jumble of completely different simultaneous spatialities. The argument of accurate spatiality is therefore similar to arguing that an image of a white unicorn is more accurate than an image of a pink unicorn! The exception, ironically, is binaural recordings (reproduced on headphones), which ARE spatially accurate, although only relative to a certain generic HRTF.

I realise of course that there is one more problem: >98% of audiophiles believe all kind of nonsense that is scientifically proven wrong. But in this case it is not proven wrong by science, and there is a theoretical foundation to the claim.

Although it sounds entirely plausible, I've not seen scientific evidence that it's ">98%", "many" or even "vast majority" would be a safer assertion :)

However your basic point hits the nail on the head. There is a very significant amount of scientific research/evidence both theoretical and practical controlled listening tests into PRIR, HRIR/HRTF, ATF, etc., that underpins the claim. This is in complete contrast to many audiophile claims, which contradict all the scientific research/evidence (both theoretical and practical controlled listening tests) and explanations of the claims ultimately rely on some form of magic. On the other side of the coin though, science has also demonstrated that sound localisation is a perception that is heavily biased by our vision and/or knowledge of our environment and therefore, even given a practical implementation of a theoretically perfect PRIR, HRTF and ATF, there will still be some (maybe extremely few) people for whom it doesn't work.

[1] My opinion as to why speakers are better at localization is that they literally are placed in front of (or in the case of surround, have specific drivers all around you).
[2] It's much easier for speakers to convey a perception of spaciality since they are in front of you and not strapped to the sides of your head.

1. But that's an explanation of why speakers should be WORSE at localisation, not better! Firstly, even in the case of surround, you do NOT have "drivers all around you", you have a very limited set of drivers at specific locations around you, which PARTIALLY cover just one (or at most two horizontal planes, in the case of say Dolby Atmos). Secondly, regardless of how many drivers you've got, you've only got two ear drums. Therefore, even if you did have "drivers all around you" or in the case of experiencing a real (not recorded and reproduced) acoustic environment, all that spatial information is reduced down to just two datum points (your ear drums). HRTFs, etc, replicate all that spatial information being reduced down to the two datum points of your ear drums and therefore headphones with the correct HRTFs, etc., should be "better at localisation" than even the latest surround format with multiple speakers.

2. Of course it's much easier for speakers to create a perception of spatiality, because you place speakers in a room that actually creates spatiality (room acoustics). However, it's not of course accurate spatiality, it's the spatiality of your living/listening room, not the spatiality of say a concert hall, arena or toilet. This brings us back to the point made earlier, it's all based on the artists'/engineers' subjective opinion of how a consumer is likely to perceive (inaccurate/nonsensical) spatiality in the presence of generic listening room spatiality/acoustics (in the case of a master created for speaker reproduction).

In effect then, we're talking about an individual's subjective perception of someone else's subjective opinion of deliberately inaccurate (or entirely nonsensical) spatiality. So, besides the assertion that it's likely to vary for at least some individuals, good luck coming up with any factually accurate assertion that applies to everyone!

G

Mar 30, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #23 of 184
What do you mean with 'I don't expect such'? Do you think it is not possible? I assure you it is possible, just listen to a Smyth Realiser with your own personal PRIR and HPEQ and using headtracking.

I'm sure that it's theoretically possible to come up with some kind of synthesized audio virtual reality. But I know that my 5.1 system is MUCH better than my old 2 channel system, and all of the friends who come by to hear it agree; but none of them have gone to the trouble to set up a decent surround system themselves. That is true across the whole hobby of multichannel sound. The practical obstacles to overcome are more than most people will deal with. I would imagine that is true with the Smyth Realiser too. Fine tuning your personal settings, being anchored in place, the complexity of the equipment and the high cost add up to a hurdle that most people aren't willing to jump over. Add to that the complexity of overcoming inevitable error... less than ideal room acoustics for speakers, and idiosyncratic head shapes for the Realiser, and all the little compromises we are forced to make in the real world. Crossing the line between uncanny valley and clear and present virtual reality can be a bit of a struggle. Every hurdle you overcome reveals another hurdle further down the road. You have to set a clear goal and work to achieve it. Aiming at perfection is a recipe for eternal disappointment.

I've been aiming at a music collection and screening room like one I saw that Jerry Lewis had on "You Are There" when I was a kid for a long time. It took me half a century to get there. I totally understand that technology makes all kinds of things possible today. But practicality is practicality. When I look at my Macs and my iPhone and my AirPods, bluetooth, huge solid state drives and the software that we use every day, I think back to when I was 20 and was trying to achieve much simpler goals. All of this stuff was just a dream back then, and I was dealing with the problems associated with vinyl and analogue sound. Now all that is solved, but there are new challenges. But I don't want to be overwhelmed by them. I want some time to smell the roses before I die.

Technology and practicality are the two poles we always have to find a sweet spot between in this world I guess.

Accurate is going to depend entirely on the margin of error we accept as passing grade for localization.

Exactly. And tolerances for a NASA space mission are going to be different than a person sitting on his couch in a living room. We are talking about home audio here, so it isn't reasonable to expect a focus on complete accuracy. We have other considerations to balance... convenience, livability, cost and how well it fits the purpose we are aiming at. We have rabbit holes in Sound Science, just like audiophools do. Instead of talking about just theoretical accuracy, we need to talk about "accuracy for what purpose?" For me, that is my ears in my living room with my equipment and my music. There is subjectivity involved. If we remove all subjectivity, it's just theory and no one is there to listen to the music! You can't ignore the conditions and limitations we are all working within. It's about doing the best with the hand you're holding, not aspiring to be dealt four aces.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #24 of 184
Of course a real multichannel speaker system is very nice, I have one myself, not super quality but enjoyable. In general I am certainly not the 'always looking for an upgrade' type, I am quite content with my modest system. But I live in a small not so well isolated flat so I can not play very loud. In fact because I really hate the idea of possibly irritating my neighbours I even listen at very low levels most of the time. And I don't really like normal headphone listening. So for me the Realiser is a great and practical solution to be able to play louder without bothering anyone. I had a borrowed Realiser in my home for a few weeks and I super enjoyed listening to a virtual copy of my own speakers. Sometimes very loud in the middle of the night. I often took of my headphones to make sure I wasn't listening to the real speakers by mistake. Not only because of the impressive out-of-head experience, hearing the sound coming from a few meters distance, there was another thing I was very impressed by, I explain in this quote from the A16 thread:
... actually I wanted to share one related important aspect of my experience with the borrowed A16 I had in my home, something I hadn't really noticed yet during my short demo in Munnich.
One very striking aspect of listening to my virtual speakers (floorstanders with strong and deep bass) on the A16 was that the bass "experience" is totally different from listening to normal headphones. I once wrote in this thread that I always felt like something was missing in the bass when listening to headphones. At that time I thought it must be the tactile element. I have now dropped that thought almost completely. I think I now know what was missing most of all: the room! The "cursed" room modes, the bass "ringing" of the room. I actually love it! And the A16 reproduces all that perfectly, and it feels so much more natural than standard headphone bass. Of course ideally it should not be too much, and preferably without coloration, but some reverb (evenly distributed over the frequency spectrum)(also) in the bass really seems to be essential for my enjoyment.
My brain even played some funny tricks on me while listening to the A16: sometimes I could swear I felt the floor vibrating with the music, although that would have been impossible. (And no, in reality my floor doesn't even vibrate with the real speakers, or not that I ever noticed.) Some weird kind of unconscious expectation bias.

Mar 30, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #25 of 184
That's what I've always heard referred to as "bass bloom". It's the effect of the room on the low frequencies. Another effect is even more sensory... the kinesthetic feel of sub bass on your skin. I was watching the movie Cabin In The Woods and they had a sequence where they put an ultra low frequency rumble underneath the dialogue. It was close to the edge of hearing. You could feel it on your skin and all around you in the air. They used it to indicate fright and it did a very good job of that!

Mar 31, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #26 of 184
[1] I'm sure that it's theoretically possible to come up with some kind of synthesized audio virtual reality.
[2] But I know that my 5.1 system is MUCH better than my old 2 channel system, and all of the friends who come by to hear it agree;
[3] but none of them have gone to the trouble to set up a decent surround system themselves. That is true across the whole hobby of multichannel sound. The practical obstacles to overcome are more than most people will deal with. I would imagine that is true with the Smyth Realiser too....Technology and practicality are the two poles we always have to find a sweet spot between in this world I guess.

1. It's not just theoretically possible "to come up with some kind of synthesized audio virtual reality", it's possible in practise. In fact, that was the whole point of Blumlein's 1932 invention of stereo in the first place. And for some people it works perfectly, even using modestly priced headphones and mixes made for speaker reproduction. Numerous times I've heard people (and not just "people" but also highly trained/accomplished professional musicians) state when listening to a particular stereo recording on headphones that it was "just like being there".

2. And I (and more relevantly, Science!) know that modern implementations of HRTFs are "MUCH better" than standard stereo on headphones and "MUCH better" than the simple headphone crossfeed invented in the 1950's.

3. Indeed ... However, this is the Sound Science forum and your personal "sweet spot" between the two poles of your personal "technology and practicality" does NOT define either Science itself nor others' "technology and practicality" or their "sweet spot"!

[1] We are talking about home audio here ...
[1a] Instead of talking about just theoretical accuracy, we need to talk about "accuracy for what purpose?" For me, that is my ears in my living room with my equipment and my music.
[2] There is subjectivity involved. If we remove all subjectivity, it's just theory and no one is there to listen to the music!
[3] You can't ignore the conditions and limitations we are all working within. It's about doing the best with the hand you're holding, not aspiring to be dealt four aces.

1. No, we are NOT! This is NOT the "Home Audio" forum and it's certainly NOT the "Bigshot's Home Audio" subforum, this is the Sound Science forum!
1a. Firstly, we are not talking about "just theoretical accuracy". And secondly, the highlighted section is your MISTAKE, which is exactly the same mistake made by the "audiophools" you YOURSELF criticise! To be appropriate here in the sound science subforum, your statement should read: "For me, that is human ears, in various listening environments/conditions, with various equipment and any music.". This is NOT the "Bigshot's ears, living room, equipment and music" subforum and accuracy is NOT "theoretical" just because it falls outside of your personal ears, living room, equipment and music!!

2. No one is removing all subjectivity, quite the opposite! By extrapolating your subjectivity to everyone else, YOU are the one "removing all subjectivity", of anyone but yourself. My personal subjectivity is that neither standard stereo, simple crossfeed, binaural recordings (with a few rare exceptions) nor the more advanced implementations of HRTFs, etc., work perfectly or even acceptably better than surround formats for me personally (although I've not yet tested the A16). However, this is the Sound Science forum, not the "Gregorio's Personal Subjectivity" forum, so I HAVE to consider the scientific evidence that different people have different "personal subjectivity" when it comes to the perception of localisation accuracy.

3. WE "can't ignore the conditions and limitations we are all working within" but YOU can? We of course all have conditions and limitations that we have to work within but they are NOT defined by your ears, your living room, your equipment and your music! We each have our own conditions and limitations but if they're different from yours, you "ignore" them (or dismiss them as "just theoretical" or irrelevant).

It's bad enough that you effectively try to define Sound Science and this subforum by your personal subjectivity and the conditions and limitations of your personal "home audio" but even worse, you then make up a whole bunch of false statements of fact, false analogies and fallacies in order to support your position, which is exactly what you so strongly criticise others for!!

G

Mar 31, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #27 of 184
I think isolation is making people cranky.

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #28 of 184
I think isolation is making people cranky.

Why would you think that when I stated that it's you trying to turn the Sound Science forum into the "Bigshot's home audio" forum? Haven't you strongly criticised others for deflection?

G

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #30 of 184
I'm not deflecting. I'm skipping over posts that are too much work to read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back