Off topic but
Aug 26, 2004 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Sycraft

100+ Head-Fier
Random electronics trivia you learn at work:

Did you know you can make ICs using transparencies? No, really, you can, it's done all the time at our fab. For precision parts, you need something better, but for big processes (like 1um+ or so) you can use a good transparency from a copy shop. Works just fine for low-grade lithography. I found that quite amusing
smily_headphones1.gif

Also interesting is that lithography is quite like circut board etching, only you etch oxide on silicon rather than copper on glass. It's just smaller.

Given the whole transparency thing, I kind of wonder if there are any places that would do large process custom ICs. I'd think there might be a market for that sort of thing for DIYers.

Not realted I know, but just though I'd share. I found the whole thing really cool, and this is the only board I hang out on that would understand what I was talking about.

Aug 26, 2004 at 1:18 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sycraft
it's done all the time at our fab. . . . I kind of wonder if there are any places that would do large process custom ICs. I'd think there might be a market for that sort of thing for DIYers.

Sounds interesting. But I think you answered your own question as long as you can convince your boss.

Aug 26, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 3
My employer is the University of Arizona, a public instution. The fab is for research, not production or profit. It's not high volume and even if it were, to use it for commercial purposes would be illegal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back