off to see the Lama...
Sep 19, 2006 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Predator88

100+ Head-Fier
Going to see the Dalai Lama speak tomorrow using my free student ticket. I dunno, just thought that was kind of cool and that I'd share it with all of you (i'm in a weird mood tonight i guess).

Sep 19, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 11
LOL nice first response.

I think that's pretty cool; always wanted to see him and hear him about his views of humanity and the world. Lucky you, ne?
tongue.gif
Have fun tomorrow...

Sep 19, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 11
He's definitely someone I'd like to meet. I can't help but like the guy every time I see him on TV, but IMO, by being such a funny and seemingly ordinary guy, he's losing (actually lost ) his mystique when you consider the mystical way he and his predecessors are "discovered or chosen". . He was in Canada a couple of weeks ago and they had him on TV wearing a baseball cap. I just find it odd that someone who is proclaimed at the age of two to be a re-incarnated spiritual leader, comes across on television like he does. I realize that his approachable, likable, and witty personality has enabled him to get much more press for his cause than if he'd been reclusive, pompous, and boring, but it just seems weird to me.

Sep 19, 2006 at 12:16 PM Post #6 of 11
Regardless of his goals, teachings and the hype, he's definitely one of the persons I'd like to meet. Enjoy the speech.

After the speech, should you be more interested in the political issues around his person and homeland, there's an excellent and differentiating book by Patrick French, which I can highly recommend.

Sep 19, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
He's definitely someone I'd like to meet. I can't help but like the guy every time I see him on TV, but IMO, by being such a funny and seemingly ordinary guy, he's losing (actually lost ) his mystique when you consider the mystical way he and his predecessors are "discovered or chosen". . He was in Canada a couple of weeks ago and they had him on TV wearing a baseball cap. I just find it odd that someone who is proclaimed at the age of two to be a re-incarnated spiritual leader, comes across on television like he does. I realize that his approachable, likable, and witty personality has enabled him to get much more press for his cause than if he'd been reclusive, pompous, and boring, but it just seems weird to me.

Because the whole point of Buddhism is to be normal, relaxed, down to earth, grounded in the world you are in. While it might have made him look more like a spiritual leader to non-Buddhists by being elevated and detached, it'd kinda defeat the purpose of being a Buddhist spiritual leader.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back