Off to get ear impressions in an hour
Jul 20, 2006 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SLCentral

Head-Fier
I'm making the hour-long trip to NYC in order to get someone that UE spefically reccommended. I had an appt. with a guy that was local, that I got from the UE website, but when I called him, he had no idea what UE was, or what he was doing. I didn't want to risk a fitting problem on my 5c's ,so I cancelled it and here I am
smily_headphones1.gif

Any tips for a first time impressions-getter?

Jul 20, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 8
Just because the manufacturer recommends them doesn't mean that they have any idea what the manufacturer requires for impressions. I had to do mine twice because the first time the doctor didn't have me open my mounth wide during the fitting as the manufacturer recommends. I got the advice from the manufacturer for the next fitting and they turned out much better. Make sure you review the recommendations from UE so you can make sure the doctor is doing everything as recommended. Where are you going in the city?

Jul 20, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 8
I just got mine yesterday from an NYC UE recommendation.

Incredibly easy process. Although many people have talked about keeping their mouths open bite plates (or something like that). My guy wanted me to open and close my mouth then that was it.

Took maybe 10 minutes. I went to Scientific Hearing Aid Center, which was kind of an old dingy office (typical of what you would think if you know the area), but there was a wall of "celebrities" (okay c/d - listers
very_evil_smiley.gif
) that they had done impressions for.

My guy had clearly done this before.

So why the 5cs over the 10pros

Jul 20, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by chelsea_hye

Incredibly easy process. Although many people have talked about keeping their mouths open bite plates (or something like that). My guy wanted me to open and close my mouth then that was it.

Took maybe 10 minutes. I went to Scientific Hearing Aid Center, which was kind of an old dingy office (typical of what you would think if you know the area), but there was a wall of "celebrities" (okay c/d - listers
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nice guys over there. Two brothers who run the place. They sell Etymotic's there, and also offer to fit any in ear phones into custom ear molds that they make. I was going to do this with my UE sound Fi pro 5's, but one ear piece is no longer working.

Jul 20, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif

That's exactly where I'm going, so now I'm feeling VERY relieved. It's only a block from Penn Station, which is incredibly convienent.

I chose the 5c's over the 10-pros entirely cause of cost. I cannot see myself justifying spending $900 on a set of headphones, but $550 is much more "acceptable" to me. Plus, I'm not too much of a picky listener, so the 5c's should be just fine.

Jul 20, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

yup, it will be fine.

Hope you're not coming in just for that. Your commute will be 20 times longer than you are in town
rolleyes.gif

Good luck

I'm gonna go have lunch with a couple of friends that are taking summer classes at FIT (which is only two blocks away), and then I'll go do the impressions. I'm really lucky that everything is so close to Penn Station; it should be a very quick trip, and NJ Transit tends to be pretty reliable. I got my e2c's for the train ride, since my 5 Pros broke, which should help me at least avoid the annoying sounds of people on the train
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 8
Okay, so I'm home. Pretty strange experience. I went to the first place, and they told me that I actually had wax buildup, and had to go see a doctor before I could get impressions made. I tried to find a doctor in the city, but had no luck. I didn't think it was really feasible for me to go back and forth between my house and the city multiple days (it costs $20 each trip), so I visited another audiologist for a second opinion. He said there was wax, but it was minimal, and he actually removed at least some of it, and made impressions. They looked great, and pretty much exactly how they looked on the UE website. They went to the second bend, etc.

Sent them off to UE via Fedex. What's the expected turnaround time for 5cs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back