Off-loading big headphone collection...need community input
Jan 27, 2021 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jonbmet

100+ Head-Fier
Head-Fiers!

Reluctantly logging back in to a website that has hurt my wallet in the past...

I have amassed A LOT of headphones and most have gone unused for a couple of years now. It's time to let someone else enjoy these cans. I'm not sure what the best method of selling these is...nor do I know what their current values are. Soon I'll start going through and taking inventory, but I figured I'd reach out for some advice on how I should approach. Any tips are appreciated.

Discerning eyes should see some good things in the photo.

-jonbmet

Attachments

• headphone collection.jpg
    headphone collection.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jan 27, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 8
Best bet is probably selling within the community like through the Head-Fi classifieds section or AVExchange on reddit since that's where other collectors are. Read through the various rules/guidelines for posting and put up your listing. Take payment through Paypal for ease and safety, can also get the shipping label through Paypal since their rates tend to be lower. Pack it up nicely, give buyer a tracking number, then let it fly.

Could go local through sites like Craigslist and Offerup. Though depending on your area, might be tougher to find buyers for some of your inventory. Could also go on eBay if that's more your jam.

For gauging prices, you can check for previous sales on the online sites. Also can use something like Hifishark (which scrapes sales from different sites) to give you a rough look at perceived value, though less popular headphones will have more fluctuating prices.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 8
Best bet is probably selling within the community like through the Head-Fi classifieds section or AVExchange on reddit. Read through the various rules/guidelines for posting and put up your listing. Take payment through Paypal for ease and safety, can also get the shipping label through Paypal since their rates tend to be lower. Pack it up nicely, give buyer a tracking number, then let it fly.

Could go local through sites like Craigslist and Offerup. Though depending on your area, might be tougher to find buyers for some of your inventory. Could also go on eBay if that's more your jam.

For gauging prices, you can check for previous sales on the online sites. Also can use something like Hifishark (which scrapes sales from different sites) to give you a rough look at perceived value, though less popular headphones will have more fluctuating prices.

Thanks for the response. Hifishark is definitely going to be helpful.

Do you think I should sell individually or try to group similar items together? I'd really like to find another Grado fanboy (if that's still a thing) that would want a few of the nicer cans.

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the response. Hifishark is definitely going to be helpful.

Do you think I should sell individually or try to group similar items together? I'd really like to find another Grado fanboy (if that's still a thing) that would want a few of the nicer cans.

If you're posting a listing on a message board, I'd probably just have one post for everything so you're not spamming. And it's also easier to manage any questions/discussions you might get from potential buyers.

If it's something like eBay, probably better to go with multiple listings. Individual or grouped-up is up to you since you'll be putting the effort for taking pics and managing the listings. Could also include a mention in the description that you have other items for sale and can ship together if they buy multiple items.

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 8
Looking at the picture and your signature...the quickest way to sell your stuff is eBay. You have an almost complete Grado collection, so that may attract a local collector as well. Plus, you also have a lot of older/vintage items, which is best on eBay. Just do frequent checks on potential buyers and winners, and you should be fine.

Jan 27, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 8
Hopefully this is not against the rules to post something like this, but I don't think it belongs in the classifieds just yet either.

Attached is what I'm thinking my collection is worth. Some of the items I can't find comps for and don't remember what they cost me so I've shot from the hip a bit. Hoping to be fair to myself and also give a few deals to someone who will appreciate these like I do.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Looking to start listing tomorrow (after a conversation with the moderators).

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 8
Hopefully this is not against the rules to post something like this, but I don't think it belongs in the classifieds just yet either.

Attached is what I'm thinking my collection is worth. Some of the items I can't find comps for and don't remember what they cost me so I've shot from the hip a bit. Hoping to be fair to myself and also give a few deals to someone who will appreciate these like I do.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Looking to start listing tomorrow (after a conversation with the moderators).

A lot of the prices look quite fair, though I'm not familiar with a lot of the Grados so can't quite comment on everything.

Some standout prices to me though are the Koss ESP 950 and the Beyerdynamic T90. The market value for ESP 950 has dipped since Massdrop started selling it as the ESP95X and it regularly goes on sale. I've usually seen the original ESP 950 priced closer to $300-400 range. The T90 I've also seen go lower, usually around $250 (maybe because the DT1990 has become the next step up over the mid-fi Beyers?).

Jan 28, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 8
A lot of the prices look quite fair, though I'm not familiar with a lot of the Grados so can't quite comment on everything.

Some standout prices to me though are the Koss ESP 950 and the Beyerdynamic T90. The market value for ESP 950 has dipped since Massdrop started selling it as the ESP95X and it regularly goes on sale. I've usually seen the original ESP 950 priced closer to $300-400 range. The T90 I've also seen go lower, usually around $250 (maybe because the DT1990 has become the next step up over the mid-fi Beyers?).

Gotcha. Had no idea there was an ESP95X now. Very cool... I'd like to listen to them someday.

Maybe I'll hang onto the T90's if that's all the bring nowadays. They sound so good with binaural recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back