ingwe

Headphoneus Supremus
Damn y'all! Here's what I've assembled so far:
  1. star-quad
  2. shrink wrap
  3. techflex
  4. canare f12's
  5. neutrik rca's
  6. slim ipod doc connectors (from quables)
  7. hakko iron
  8. solder/flux
  9. multi-hand tool
  10. multi-meter
  11. exacto knife
  12. hub adjustment wrench for my mavic kyserium sl wheels (oops, wrong project)
  13. work lamp with magnifier
  14. beer
  15. good tunes on the hi-fi
This weekend, I'm going to HAVE-A-GO !!
wink.gif

-m

May 4, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 10
Make sure you put all the connector barrels and necessary (not yet shrinked) heatshrink on the cable before you start soldering! I made that mistake when I made my first cable, 3 times in a row in fact.
redface.gif

Post pics!
wink.gif

May 4, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make sure you put all the connector barrels and necessary (not yet shrinked) heatshrink on the cable before you start soldering! I made that mistake when I made my first cable, 3 times in a row in fact.
redface.gif

Post pics!
wink.gif

Thanks for the reminder! I'll post the pics in the sticky thread.

May 4, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 10
Sounds like a lot of fun... x2 on the pics

May 6, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 10
Oh my goodness.
blink.gif
I actually did it: a mini-to-mini with canare f-12 plugs (not the best plug for a newbe like me; thank goodness for my multi-hand tool and forceps.

Using 320mp3vbr-->zune-->dyi cable-->hornet-->hd650(stock cable),
I did a couple compares with the cardas 6" mini-to-mini (the one that headroom sells). There's definitely a difference. Compared to the dyi, the cardas seems a bit laid back. The dyi more punchy. The question is what they'll sound like after 20 hours (eg. fatiguing? better?).

Sorry, but no pictures yet as I'm pretty tired.
wink.gif

-m

May 12, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 10
Well, this is sad; here's the rundown:
  1. I broke the ground lead off of three canare f12s. How??? Please don't ask.
  2. The fourth f12 got horribly scratched up--enough said. (Yet I was sober.)
  3. In desperation, I bought a couple ratshack 3.5mm plugs. After soldering the wires on, the plug cover wouldn't fit. I ended up putting a couple layers of shrink-wrap over the lugs and used it that way for a day until...
  4. I found a store (Ack radio supply) that had some cheap switchcraft 3.5mm plugs.
  5. Successfully I assembled the switchcrafts to the starquad. It works. Yay.
  6. I went through five (yes five) ipod doc connecters (the super mini-ones sold by quables). Result, broken terminals, solder bridges, solder wells as a result of too much solder. I'm just inconsistent with the technique. But I'll get better. I have some standard size docs on their way to me.
Well, that's it. I'm such a norman, geez. But I'm not giving up, nosiree.
wink.gif

-m

May 12, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #9 of 10
pics?

May 13, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #10 of 10
Oh okay.
wink.gif

Here's the switchcraft plugs, with black starquad, all covered with carbon techflex:

cable.jpg

Here's the same cable connecting my Zune with my Hornet. Note the cable is just long enough to do this. hehe
biggrin.gif

zunehornet1.jpg

And for good measure, here's where I commit unspeakable acts upon perfectly good plugs and ipod doc connectors:

bench.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back