# of mp3
Jan 4, 2004 at 4:14 PM Post #31 of 45
# of songs could be a bit misleading...if you're into prog & post-rock like me, you wind up with an average song length of like 10-12 minutes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #32 of 45
Its hard to say what % of the Mp3s ive heard. I usually just pick a category and make random playlists.

Variety is the spice of life
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #33 of 45
Hehe. I don't know. When I scan my catalogs it says 39k but it makes up more than 600GB. (I guess
that makes your collection look tiny EyEPoD, eh
wink.gif
).

Thing is, I rip all my mix CD's in mp3+cue and I have some radio shows too.

So I guess I would fit in 100k and plus category
biggrin.gif
Heh.

I'm ashamed.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 5, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #34 of 45
5K here.

Sorry to get off topic, what exactly does the '-asp' statement do?

Jan 5, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Xecter
5K here.

Sorry to get off topic, what exactly does the '-asp' statement do?

-APS is alt-preset standard, it's a LAME setting for optimum quality. read about it from the link in my sig

Jan 5, 2004 at 2:35 PM Post #36 of 45
10.000-25.000 here.
I don't know exact numbers because they are spread over 20cdr's, 10dvdr's and rest of them in my hd.

(OFF TOPIC AHEAD)
Sometimes I agree with that "mp3's suck" complaint. This is when I download music from the net. I can't understand why is converting mp3's so hard. Too often I find crackling sounds and otherkind of distortion in mp3 files. Well that is not a problem when I convert them myself but it is annoying to download some songs only to find out that the person that encoded them doesn't know what he is doing
mad.gif

Jan 5, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #37 of 45
I've got about 440Gb of compressed music, but a lot of the files are encoded with FLAC, which takes up a lot more space than MP3.

Even so I'd guess that I've got over 50,000 files.

I rip everything with EAC in secure mode and my MP3s are encoded at APS. I can hardly ever tell the difference between APS quality MP3s and the original uncompressed audio.

I wonder if the people who think all MP3s suck have actually carried out a blind ABX test on quality MP3s. Most of the people using file sharing networks don't have a clue how to make decent sounding MP3s, but that's not really the fault of the MP3 format.

Jan 5, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #38 of 45
1,000-5,000. All but about 100 of them are entirely unlisteneable ever since I got into this silly audiophile thing.

Cheers,
Geek

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #41 of 45

Quote:
I have 2638,  with many Enya -Neil Young- Strawbs- Colbie Callait- Doors

Im trying to figure out how torrents work but so far can't download anything

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #43 of 45
I have over 15k songs that I have ripped from cd's directly into FLAC for archiving using dbpoweramp.  If you are not going to keep your cd's the best format to utilize is flac since it is a lossless format.  I then use the dbpoweramp batch converter to convert the flac's into MP3 for my wife's and children's ipod and also into ogg for my cowon. 

Dec 24, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #45 of 45

Quote:
10.000-25.000 here.
I don't know exact numbers because they are spread over 20cdr's, 10dvdr's and rest of them in my hd.

(OFF TOPIC AHEAD)
Sometimes I agree with that "mp3's suck" complaint. This is when I download music from the net. I can't understand why is converting mp3's so hard. Too often I find crackling sounds and otherkind of distortion in mp3 files. Well that is not a problem when I convert them myself but it is annoying to download some songs only to find out that the person that encoded them doesn't know what he is doing
mad.gif

That is exactly what the problem is. A lot of people simply don't know what they're doing when it comes to encoding mp3's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back