Of Gender, Dorm Rooms, and Audio Sources...
May 8, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #32 of 38
Just to second what's already been said. For your first semester, just go light on the equipment. That way you can get a feel for how secure you feel about your stuff and whether or not you can impose strict regimen on locking your door. Then bring the rest of your gear when you go home for Christmas or mid-semester break.

May 8, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #33 of 38
Two things:

1) I definitely agree with the go minimal approach. You're in a dorm room and space really is at a premium. Oftentimes the desk is rather small and putting and turntable on it will definitely take up space you need to write on etc.. Also, even if you are going to Princeton, theft is rampant. The best safeguard is always to take care of your own gear. I'm not saying something will get stolen, but it wouldn't hurt to have smaller components you could put out of sight if your dorm/floor is having a party or something. You can always bring your full audio setup to school after you move out of dorms. Once you have your own room in an apartment off campus it should be no problem.

2) You'll find that most roommates will try to meet you in the middle. When you find out who your roommate assignment is, contact her and explain the details of your situation and ask for her honest feedback. I'm sure you two can work something out.

m

May 8, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #34 of 38
Congrats on Princeton, Oddball!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
but I figure that I should put my money into a dac. It's by far more practical. I've been eyeing the Apogee Mini-dac for years now, but I've always found the Micro stack pretty darn cool. As far as portable dacs go though, I probably lean more towards the Larocco PR dac in development. Jim, it's funny that you bring up that flac is worth it, 'cause I've filled my 60 external HD with flac files, and I was just contemplating downsizing to mp3s. But I guess that since I'm going the dac route, I better keep them.

I'll chime in on the PC -> Micro DAC -> Micro AMP approach. While the Micro AMP would not be my personal preference (I'd prefer the Supermacro for several reasons) it sounds like a good way to go:

a) Headroom makes a specialized bag to perfectly hold both items + DAP, so
b) you can take it with you and it is easily moved out of the way.
c) You can upgrade the PS if you feel like it

All I would add is the biggest external HD you can afford. If money is no issue: Take two so you have a full backup. Keep the old one for your PC backup unless you need serious capacity for your studies. MP3 is the wrong way from where you are. There are enclosures available (such as the M9) that offer laptop lock-ports for a small level of security. I think once you are there you can clarify the situation regarding your turntable and maybe bring it later. Maybe your roomate surprises you with her own one, just wait & see. If your equipment draws remarks, demo it. Silence the critics with its excellence. Of course none of this means you would have to avoid the record exchange
icon10.gif

And again: Nothing of value on the floor, especially under the bed. Beds can collapse. Liquids will spill. Dust kills.

May 8, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind
I hope ur room mate is a head-fier! problem solved
wink.gif

Haha...but not happening. They won't let me room with a guy.
tongue.gif

So basically I should rip everything in flac to a huge cheap hard drive (and hopefully not bring my cds), get a dac, don't put my equipment under the bed, and try to hold off on bringing anything valuable. Thanks for the advice guys! I knew that I was deluding myself by thinking I could get a fullsize CDP, so I've been officially convinced that a dac is the superior solution. As for my turntable, I'll probably wait and see what room I get assigned before I make any decisions, but I'm going to do my best to bring it...eventually. The thing is though, with Princeton, most everyone lives on campus and because of the way housing works (housing draw for sophomores and up), I have absolutely no stability in as far as my room.

But really, thanks for all the comments. It might seem like common sense, but for me, it's really valuable information about something that I have yet to experience.

May 8, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #37 of 38
There it is, I knew there was something wrong with you. Its not that you appreciate good music and have realized that headphones are a great way to enjoy it, but you use logic and the advice of others with experience when trying to make a decision. That is what separates you from the pack.

Have fun at school, there are few better times in your life.

May 10, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #38 of 38
I read through a lot of the above comments and my situation was MUCH different on many points.

I brought with me my full size CD player, an amp, a few headphones, full size computer, large LCD monitor, and computers speakers (for my tech stuff). I had room for all of it and none of it has ever been touched by anyone.

I think the idea that you only have space for a laptop, teeny DAC, and headphones is ridiculous! I am in a double-sized room with two other people (a forced triple) and I have more than enough room for all of my stuff.

As far as theft, it has happened barely at all here. The stuff that gets stolen: iPods (!!!), laptops, and X-Boxs. Lock your door, have some common sense, and it will not happen most likely.

You have made it to Princeton, that means you are pretty good at studying or have parents with connections
evil_smiley.gif
. I'm gonna assume the first one. Bring all the toys you think you need to be at home. It sounds like audio is important to you, don't skimp on it! If it becomes too big of a distraction, you'll be smart enough to know that!

Now, for roommates. When you choose roommates, they will probably give you a form that asks about your interests. Make sure you talk about music and they'll be more inclined to give you roommates that like it. Even if they don't like music, I highly doubt they will be offended by you having your own stuff. I was worried about the same thing when I first came to school. I worried that I had too much audio stuff, too many clothes, etc. etc. Turns out I was completely wrong. Just keep your things in your own space and you won't ever have a problem!

Anyhow, if you want to go with a DAC, I think that will probably be fine too. But from someone who went through the same stuff a year ago, just know that that isn't your only (or maybe even best) option. Well, have a good time at Princeton, they always said we (Occidental) were the Princeton of the west. Oh what a joke
biggrin.gif
but have a great year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back